Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the ole Catsmashin mobile to the track for the first time last night. It was hot and muggy and I ran consistent mid-14s. My best time was 14.452sec/97.92mph. I didn't really know what I was doing, but that run I shifted at about 5800-6000 rpm and charged across in third gear. I also removed my air silencer and baffle screen, but I think my technique was so bad, that these mods were overshadowed. I was a little dissapointed in the results based on the post I have seen and have a few questions that some of you seasoned drivers might be able to help out on:

Does reaction time matter? Mine were pretty long (around .8 to .9). I was waiting for the green light before I punched it.

What can I do to keep the rear wheels from spinning? I showed up stock, kicked the wife and kids out of the car and ran with the baby seat in the back. Is there any prep work I can do prior to running?

Any help will be appreciated. I need to keep the camaros honest (I did manage to dust two older Camaros that night). I also got dusted by a custom pickup - go figure.

PS I had a hoopy, froopy, dippity, doopy CatSmashin great time!! I will be back!!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
The old slippery tire syndrome huh! Seems to go hand and hand with all stock tired Mustangs for the last 16 yrs. Try coming off the line at 1500 RPM,slipping the clutch a bit,and rolling into the throttle. The key result is to launch with just hazing the tires,a little difficult to do,with a stick,but practice is what it takes. What were your 60 ft. times? These have the most impact on your ET. The reaction time means nothing on your ET,but means alot when running for a win. Put the car seat on the right rear of the backseat,with a heavy brick strapped in for better weight transfer! I will try running mine again this fall,for cooler air,and will also have some NITTOs out back.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mus408 on 2001-07-19 21:07 ]</font>

·
Registered
762 Posts
13.60 @ 106 now that's movin'!!!!!

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
it was quite fun to see the faces of my friends as i passed them and got a better time.....really suprized me the most

·
Registered
393 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-07-20 10:37, Black Sunshine #161 wrote:
it was quite fun to see the faces of my friends as i passed them and got a better time.....really suprized me the most
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

13.6 at 106 ?!?!

I'd love to see that. Was this at HRP? When?

A big group of Houston Stangers are going to HRP Sunday 7/29/01.

Come on out!! Do you have the slip scanned so you can post it? I'd love to see the 1/8mph and 60ft (which I'm arseuming must have been poor considering you trapped 106 and "only" ran 13.6).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Way to go, BlackSunshine!
My goal is to get into the mid-13s with some mods, but I would like to get down close to 14.00 stock first. That way I would feel like my technique was there prior to spending a bunch of money. Sounds like you are there already, baby! Yours is money well spent,no doubt.

Here is my entire ticket for the 14.452 run:
60 ft 2.277
330 ft 6.188
1/8 9.396 at 76.99 mph
1000 ft 12.143
1/4 14.452 at 97.92 mph

Are any of you running stickier tires?
I don't want to sound too green (but I am when it comes to the strip), but what exactly is it to 'slip the clutch'. I think I know, but I want to make sure.

By the way, the Bullitt was a big hit that night and really made a good showing compared to a lot of the cars there. My wife is running scared thinking that I am going to go nuts with this drag racing stuff. Who knows......

The CatSmasher

·
Registered
394 Posts
You'd think the Cats would be running scared!

What does the name Catsmasher come from?

Slip the clutch means just what you think. The idea is to keep the RPM's up so you don't bog when the tires hook up.

Eric

I think we all need to bow to Black Sunshines [email protected] It gives us all something to shoot for!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BULLITT00208 on 2001-07-20 14:39 ]</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
Cat, the numbers on your best et are very similar to mine. Check my post from a few weeks ago - LVD times. I think the biggest help to both of us will be cooler temp's & better traction. Here's two pointers: Rev the engine to about 2,000 rpm as the lights count down & slip the clutch so you accelerate with the engine already at 2000-2200 rpm's. You'll have to play around with the right launch speed 'cause you might get excessive tire slip if you come out too hard. Also, when you shift gears, don't take your foot off the accelerator, keep it pressed down (not to the floor, try to keep around 3500 rpm's) & shift as quick as possible. You can practice both of these on the highway or at stoplights.

01 Bullitt #1697
94 Caprice 9C1
85 Mustang GT
80 F250
70 Monte Carlo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rancorkeeper on 2001-07-20 14:55 ]</font>

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips, dudes!
I am already looking forward to the next time at the track. Looks like I need to work my driving style.
Watch out, here he comes, the CatSmasher is loose as a goose and froopy hoopy hotter'n hell!

The CatSmasher

PS As far as where 'CatSmasher' comes from, I just made it up when I was a teenager cause it sounded cool. I didn't really go around hitting cats or anything.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey BlackSunshine,
Were you running drag radials when you posted 13.6? Everyone I talk to at work urges me to go get some drag tires for the rear.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
106 from the Bullitt!! Now that has to be an all time record! You didn't swap a 01 Cobra engine in there did you? Very good run!

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Black
I'll say one word "Outstanding"!!!!!!!
Cat I'm glad your back

·
Registered
393 Posts
my buddy Black got the time on a GTECH. I'm gonna have to drag him out to HRP to get some strip times and help me beat up on these 99-01 GT cars. I can't have all the fun! :grin:

The GTECHs are pretty accurate on the 1/4 et calcs, but are notoriously high on the 1/4 mph trap speed. A GTECH will take a speed right at the 1/4 mile mark where as a NHRA 1/4 track will take an average over the last 200ft or so. That's why a GTECH shows more mph than it should.

·
Registered
393 Posts
to be honest mid life, I've never used one. But my drag racing buds that have all say the mph reads high and inconsistent. The et is usually close.

Maybe Black will make it out to HRP with me one day soon and we can check out the GTECH accuracy against an actual timeslip. I'm curious to see what the difference is and that seems to be the best place to test it.

I'd like to see the other functions too, like the hp indicator and other stuff. Looks like a cool device, but I'm not ready to shell out $140 for one.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
The Gtech will be more correct for Top end speed because it does not take the average but instead the actual MPH. So people think that it is off when in actually it is more correct than the last 60 foot average. BUT since that is not the way we have been doing it for the past umpteen years people will think it reads too high. Also the HP is totally dependent on you knowing real close to what your car weighs. Now the HP will always show low because of the drag factor. It is good accurate information you just need to know how to compare it to what you are used to seeing and comparing. Great for the people doing mods. They can go check it right away and see if it was worth anything. Might I also suggest a good quality radar detector also.

·
Registered
393 Posts
that's a good point about vehicle weight and hp estimates. There's a very accurate scale about 50 ft from the timeslip shack at HRP. Another perfect reason to test the GTECH at a nice drag facility.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have a GTECH, and am not too impressed. My Vortech supercharged 90 LX runs 12.40 @ 110mph on Bakersfield's drag strip, on slicks. My GTECH read a 13.50 @ 98mph on the same pass. I thought that Black's posting of a mid 13 at 106 sounded too good to be true. But, when GTECH was mentioned it made sense. Trust the drag strip clocks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts