Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am on travel status. Wife moves the Bullitt out of the garage so that Sears can bring in the new washing machine through the garage. After the washer gets installed she goes to move the Bullitt back into the garage but can't find the key. She uses the spare key that I keep in the safe. She hunts all over the place for the lost key and declares it "gone forever". She calls the Sears guys and asks them to check their pockets, just in case they accidentally picked up the key that she might have left on the dryer or the old washer. They say they don't have the key. She looks for the key some more and calls the Sears guys again. They swear they don't have the key. She calls me twice in a panic over the key. I tell her not to worry, the key will show up.

QUESTIONS: (1) What is the process for getting a new key, and (2)how much will it cost?

(3) Should I get the locks on the car changed also, and (4) how much cost for that?

Meanwhile, garage is locked and alarms are on.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
A generic Ford chip key for 2008 will work, I bought a couple OEM keys on Ebay, had the teeth cut at a local hardware store. The problem for you is that to program a new key you need both chip keys that came with the car. The programming procedure is in the manual (see below) and easy to do. Without the second key that came with the car, you may have to go to the dealer and buy a key from them and have them program it. I paid about $10 per blank but I have been told it costs $30-$40 for a key from the dealer with the programming.

Here is the procedure from the manual.

Programming spare keys
You can program your own coded keys to your vehicle. Please read and
understand the entire procedure before you begin.
Tips:
• A maximum of eight keys can be coded to your vehicle.
• Only use SecuriLock™ keys.
• You must have two previously programmed coded keys (keys that
already operate your vehicle’s engine) and the new unprogrammed
key(s) readily accessible.
• If no previously programmed coded keys are available, you must take
your vehicle to your authorized dealer to have the spare key(s)
programmed.
1. Insert a previously programmed
coded key into the ignition.
2. Turn the ignition from the 1
(OFF/LOCK) position to the 3 (ON)
position. Keep the ignition in the 3
(ON) position for at least one
second, but no more than 10
seconds.
3. Turn the ignition to the 1
(OFF/LOCK) position, and remove
the coded key from the ignition.
4. Within ten seconds of removing the previously programmed coded key,
insert the other previously programmed coded key into the ignition.
5. Turn the ignition from the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position to the 3 (ON)
position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (ON) position for at least one second
but not more than 10 seconds.
6. Turn the ignition to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position, and remove the
second key from the ignition.
7. Within twenty seconds of removing the previously programmed coded
key, insert the unprogrammed key (new/valet key) into the ignition.
8. Turn the ignition from the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position to the 3 (ON)
position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (ON) position for at least one second.
9. Your new unprogrammed key is now programmed.
If the key has been successfully programmed it will start the vehicle’s
engine and the theft indicator light will illuminate for three seconds and
then go out. If the key was not successfully programmed, it will not start
your vehicle’s engine and the theft indicator light will flash on and off
rapidly. If failure repeats, bring your vehicle to your authorized dealer to
have the new key(s) programmed.
To program additional new unprogrammed key(s), repeat this procedure
from Step 1 for each additional key.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Might be a good opportunity to use the Ford Key Fob that combines the key and remote in one....

·
Registered
595 Posts
If you only have 1 key you will have to pay big $$$ to get the computer hacked anyway so I would have new codes set as well.Expect to pay several hundred dollars for the hack on the computer.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Yes it isn't cheap. My wife lost a key and fob. Friend gave me a fob, bought a cut key from the dealership, and my brother in law who works for Ford brought home a lap top and programmed both. It would have cost at least $200 from the dealership. When I asked my brother in law why it's so frigin' expensive, he says the laptop computer costs $15,000 and is leased by most dealerships. Then my wife lost it again 30 days later so we now have 1 key and fob again. Someone told me Lexus charges a grand for a key and fob. Don't know if it's true but I'm sure $400 -$500 is correct.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Geez. Maybe it's time for some Memory vitamins.... then staffed care, and finally a new wife!!!! ;)

J/K... :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got a Ford Transponder key on ebay. I like it better than the key with fob cause its smaller. You do need both original keys to reprogram. I brought all 3 keys to dealer and they programmed for free. I tried but had problems making it work. Without one I don't know if there is a charge.

I have noticed that driving to the mts sometimes screws up the buttons. The key works but the buttons are disabled. Then later it starts working again. I assume the change in altitude has some effect.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
My key just seems to be a regular looking car key. were these programed keys an option?

·
Banned
978 Posts
RCSignals said:
Everyone should have at least 3 keys for their car. 4 is better. Put 2 away in a safe place.

You can have up to 8 keys programmed to the car.
For sure!

I have 10 identical keys for my daily driver '07 CVPI.

When I drink bunches and bunches of DD coffee, I tend to lose them (the keys).

They're just plain keys, though...no fob(s) since the keyless entry option was not available until '08.

·
Banned
978 Posts
Zarcero said:
She hunts all over the place for the lost key and declares it "gone forever".
When you purchase a new replacement key, the declared "gone forever" key will magically appear. That's how it works. But it's a win-win situation because then you'll have an extra key.

:clap:

·
Banned
978 Posts
daytonadave said:
Hey...shouldn't you be in bed? Don't you have to fly in the morning?
That's a big negatory, Dave.

I'm off until 12FEB09.

I dropped a trip at work so that I could participate in our son unit's first Cub Scout Pinewood Derby.

Party on!

:clap:

·
Premium Member
6,226 Posts
RCSignals said:
Everyone should have at least 3 keys for their car. 4 is better. Put 2 away in a safe place.

You can have up to 8 keys programmed to the car.

+2! Absolutely! 4 keys for the Bull and the F150. All extra keys hidden away in a safe place. So much cheaper to buy new pats keys on ebay and program yourself. Have to have two orig to do it, and give the guy at Home Depot $10 to cut non-purchased keys.

When I got the F-150 (2003 model), the seller only had one key. Strange, yes, but that's what he had, and it was a heck of a deal. A new key (from Ford) was around $20-$30 if I remember correctly. Then, reprogramming a new key with only a single "master", was an additional $70 or so. So, I totally made new keys myself if, by chance I lose one.

If anything, it gives you a reason to use all of the Bullitt, Ford, and Mustang keychains that you have in your collection that you don't want to use on your daily use keychain because they would get messed up!

...or maybe I'm the only freak that does that! Somehow, I don't think I'm alone here.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
I did the multikey thing for my F-150 when it was new in 1994. Almost seven years later I still had the keys. But the ignition switch was shot, and the truck was still on warranty. Down to the dealer I go, before the warranty expires and request a new switch. What do they do? Make new combinations on the switch and door locks! All those other keys were tossed... :frown:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got back this morning from Africa at 0700 on our business charter. Nice MD11.

I called McRee. They described the procedure. They wipe the computer and then reprogram it. It's $120 for the reprogramming and the new key. If the the old key comes back, then I will have to have it reprogrammed or it won't start the car.

A lost or stolen key can still be used to get into the car, it just can't be used to drive the car if the reprogramming has been done. The only way to prevent entry into the car is to get new locks.

Thanks,

Mike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.