Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonite on my way to work, I noticed 2954 shifting "funny" - sometimes. It was weird, what drew my attention was it almost shifted TOO smoothly. Then, I began to have an inkling that something wasn't quite right, as it seemed that I'd suddenly lost the "centering springs". Immediately after that, I lost Fifth Gear. When I got to a bit of construction; discovered I'd lost First and Second as well. When I got to work I checked: Yep - no Reverse either - the shifter is just "centered" and I only have Third and Fourth.

Well, it was about time to go see the Dealer anyway - time for an oil change. With Luck, I won't smoke the clutch attempting to get it there.

I figure, it's probably some clip and pin came off the shifter and the "outboard" gears aren't accessible. Could it actually be something else in the tranny? There is no gear-clashing or "bad" noises going-on, I just don't have the 1-2 and 5-R "gates".

Those of you that have diddled with them: is there anything I can get to easily that I can just "pop in place" to get those missing gears back for the 1-1/2-hr trip (from work) to Joplin? (yeah, I know I could get it serviced elsewhere, but am attempting to build a rapport with the selling Dealer).

·
Registered
353 Posts
FYI:
I have a perfect rapport with my selling Dealer 24 miles from home. When I lost the engine in My 2005 F-450, I had it replaced under warranty at a different (the closest, 4 miles away) dealership. I wasn't going to have the truck towed all the way there and have 58 mile round trip to travel every trip while they worked on it.
My normal dealership owner, the GM and the service manager all know this and it hasn't caused any problems.

Besides, I would have the car towed, I wouldn't be driving it like that. Ford has free road side assistance and towing while covered under the 3/36 warranty.

JC2954 said:
Tonite on my way to work, I noticed 2954 shifting "funny" - sometimes. It was weird, what drew my attention was it almost shifted TOO smoothly. Then, I began to have an inkling that something wasn't quite right, as it seemed that I'd suddenly lost the "centering springs". Immediately after that, I lost Fifth Gear. When I got to a bit of construction; discovered I'd lost First and Second as well. When I got to work I checked: Yep - no Reverse either - the shifter is just "centered" and I only have Third and Fourth.

Well, it was about time to go see the Dealer anyway - time for an oil change. With Luck, I won't smoke the clutch attempting to get it there.

I figure, it's probably some clip and pin came off the shifter and the "outboard" gears aren't accessible. Could it actually be something else in the tranny? There is no gear-clashing or "bad" noises going-on, I just don't have the 1-2 and 5-R "gates".

Those of you that have diddled with them: is there anything I can get to easily that I can just "pop in place" to get those missing gears back for the 1-1/2-hr trip (from work) to Joplin? (yeah, I know I could get it serviced elsewhere, but am attempting to build a rapport with the selling Dealer).

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Sounds like a shift linkage issue to me.

I definately agree with Black GT500 on this one, don't try driving it that way, just get it towed to the nearest dealership and get it dealt with properly.

Oh, and if it is a shift linkage problem, see if you can talk them into installing a Hurst/FRP shifter instead of repairing/replacing the OEM one... ;)

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: Lost Four Gears - Resolved

Long story short:

Had the car towed to Landers/McLarty Ford in Bentonville, AR early this AM. Seems shifter came unattached from the transmission. Service tech removed X-member and trans, re-bolted everything down, re-installed what he'd removed. Test Drive OK.

Wife picked it up this afternoon (I was sleeping - I've been working nights these last few weeks), sez it shifts like new.

There had been for the last few weeks, a strange 5-4 downshifting-issue I'd had occasionally (hard to find the #4 gate). Perhaps this was the root of that issue as well. Will find out tomorrow when I get home.

Thanks All for the advice on it.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE to the UPDATE

Well, apparently the linkage has been loose since the car came out of the Factory - when I drove it tonite, I could tell a difference from the second I put a hand on the shifter. The shifter self-centered easily, with absolutely zero "slop" between the centering-springs (something it hadn't done since I first drove it the night we bought it).

All this time, I just took it for granted that "that's the way the shifter was", and was considering a new Hurst or other aftermarket shifter. BZZZZZT! That answer is "incorrect"! WAAAAAAAY-big improvement over what I had come to believe was "normal".

Word to those that maybe think their shifter isn't "up to snuff": if it doesn't center tightly in the middle of the gates, with no slop against the detent-springs - have it looked-at. You MIGHT just have the same problem I had to contend-with. I only wish I'd driven another B (or even another GT) and known that the sloppiness wasn't Kosher, sooner.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Shift linkage you say?

Hmmmm, didn't some really, really smart and good looking guy mention that previously? ;)

hehehe, sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

Now seriously, glad to hear that it was something minor and they were able to resolve it for you. And just in time to enjoy the weekend. :)

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Glad it worked out as something relatively simple.
You bring out a good point for anyone who seems to have a sloppy shifter and is thinking they need something aftermarket to fix it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.