Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I was driving to work yesterday and the tank said 45 miles to empty so I went ahead and drove to work since it is only 25 miles. Made it fine and said I had 20 miles to empty. So at night when I left to go home I have my headligts on and my gauges light up green like always. Then 2 miles fromt he gas station the car says 17 miles to empty and just the whole fuel gauge lights up red. Everything else stays lit up green. I had never seen that waringing before. Thought it was cool, I thought only the odometer would flash and beep guess not.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I guess they REALLY don't want you to run the tank dry...personally I never let it get below 1/3 of a tank...been caught out in the past...never again.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Every gage that goes out of limits will do that to help get your attention. If you have the gages set to red the effected gage will turn to white.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
j0eyabs said:
SO I was driving to work yesterday and the tank said 45 miles to empty so I went ahead and drove to work since it is only 25 miles. Made it fine and said I had 20 miles to empty. So at night when I left to go home I have my headligts on and my gauges light up green like always. Then 2 miles fromt he gas station the car says 17 miles to empty and just the whole fuel gauge lights up red. Everything else stays lit up green. I had never seen that waringing before. Thought it was cool, I thought only the odometer would flash and beep guess not.
Mike,

The Color Change is Hopefully to get the Drivers :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: ATTENTION :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim:

Your getting ready to Walk, put Gas in :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: NOW !!!!!!

Nice touch I think ........

tigerhonaker

·
Administrator
5,011 Posts
j0eyabs said:
Did the fuel gauge change color only, or was there also a beep or some other signal as well? It takes a lot to get my attention lately!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Interesting, the first time I filled mine up I thought I was running on fumes but didn't have that happen yet. I've also noticed when you load tunes there is a fuel warning in the odo area that must come on at some point. I usually fill mine at half a tank but when I am driving on weekends that sometimes ends up in two fills in one day.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I have never trusted gas gauges, also remember the pump is in the tank and having fuel around it will help keep the pump cooler. The lower on fuel the more crap it will pick up from bottom of tank.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I always test a car when I get it to see what's what.

I have run my car to zero and still have over a gallon of gas. Probably different to a point for each car but I safely run down to 10 miles or so all the time. Never a good idea to run an injected car out of gas but I always like to know what the gauge means in the real world.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was driving mine a couple of weeks ago on I77 in WV/VA area and it got down to 25 miles to empty. I was a bit scared because their aren't a lot of gas stations in the area so I stopped right away. It took about 11 gallons to fill it up. So if my math is correct a 5 gallons in the tank @ over 25mpg should put about 100 more miles down the road. The gauge was also basically on E so it wasn't the computer. On the way back ironically at the same point I decided to stop and some how managed to get a broken gas pump that would only pump 1 gallon and shut off. So I watched the gauge and put fuel in it. It was just under 2/3 of a tank when gas started running down the side. I started down the road and after about 30 miles it finally showed a full tank. I think my gas gauge is accurate within about 5 gallons either way some times. On the bright side I can't run it out of gas very easily.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The gauge turning red is pretty cool. Hell, I was impressed when I ran my tank down that far for first time last week and the trip computer alerted me by switching to the miles to empty mode.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've hit 0 before and yes the gauge did turn red as well which I thought was another cool reminder, but also found it interesting that the pump clicked off at 14.5 gallons, meaning I still had about a gallon left. Pretty hard to run out of fuel in this car I think.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I try (not always successfully)to keep all of my vehicles tanks 3/4 full in case TSHF (earthquake, ice storm, middle east conflict, etc.), that way if my wife is visiting her family in MO or shopping in TN I will be able to go get her in case she didn't fill up or whatever.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts