Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys and gals,

I filled 227 up today and then went to my brothers house. Less then 2 miles of travel. I reset the trip meter after the fill up.

My brother wants to go show a buddy the Bullitt, so we head to this guys house. All of the sudden the gass gage goes to empty and the low fuel warning light comes on. A few seconds later, the warrning goes out and the gage comes back on showing the tank as full. We go a couple more miles to this guys house and just before we pull up it does it again. My brother is a mechanic and says to cycle the ignition and that seems to work. The short version is that this happed about 5 or 6 times before I got back home.

I have to take the car in soon for the oil change from the NEW engine, but was curious if anyone else has seen this. My brother thinks it could just be something loose on top of the tank, but with the luck I have had with 227;-(...

Thanks

Bud

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have seen this in a V-6 mustang I rented a few months ago. Caused by loose gas cap. Hard to believe, but easy fix. I hope it works for you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
yes, check the gas cap, I believe the owners manual says that if the gas cap is not properly put on that the low fuel light will come on.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
If the gas cap isn't properly installed the "CHECK GAS CAP" light comes on. Happened to me once when I didn't fully seat the gas cap after filling up.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yeah Bud, I agree with Nasty.... might be a loose ground. I'd check the obvious stuff first, like the gas cap..... but those guys had to have had a lot of wires un-hooked while doing your engine. One untightend ground bolt will cause a world of trouble. Hopefully it's nothing major, though.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Hi BudACAD,
Just went through the wiring diagrams. looks like if it were a bad ground then you would have been loosing a lot of other things also. If it were a loose connector also it goes through the same plug as power for the pump. Not to say that you can't have that it just lowers the chance of that being it. I looked where the connectors are and they are mostly under the dash, except the one at the pump. Doesn't look like anything they would have had to remove when pulling the engine.
If you do the instrument test when it does it again then the dtc will be
255=open send +/- 0
0-18=short (0-20 max)

Looks like it should store the DTC code in memory once you get into the instrument test.
and tell you if it was a short or a ground.
Maybe of some help. If there is not a dtc stored then I would think it is the instrument panel that is bad..

Mid Life Crisis #388

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mid Life Crisis #388 on 2001-12-16 15:47 ]</font>

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone,

I'll start with the CAP;-)... Learned long ago to try the simple stuff first;-)...

Bud who is off to fight the malls for some Christmas shopping;-)...

Thanks again.

Bud

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup, I took it off and put it back on so hopefully that is all it;-)... Raining now or I would take it for a spin to check this.

Thanks everyone and Happy Holidays.

Bud

·
Registered
117 Posts
It's weird, I read this post a couple days ago, being thankful my GT didn't do this. I get in my car after leaving work, start it up, and "low fuel" light comes on and gauge is set on "empty" It popped up to full after a few mins of driving. Oil pressure gauge will also go to zero pressure and then pop back up to the normal position. You gotta love Ford quality.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hear ya. I took the cap off and put it back on. This moring was the first time I drove the car since then and no warrning, so I guess I am good to go<G>.

Happy Holidays.

Bud

·
Registered
152 Posts
My '00 GT vert had fuel gauge antics when it was new. A thousand miles later it corrected itself.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had a loose ground that had all sorts of lights coming on and off (airbag, trac control, etc.) and I lost megapower. It would then autocorrect itself. I made a beeline to the dealer and they found the ground and no problems since.

I can't spite Ford Quality - I had no mechanical issues with my 95 Mustang with the 3.8 litre that I just sold with over 100K making my Bullitt the "second" zero interest car I've owned.

Mean :evil: Dark Highland :-B

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mine did it yesterday!!! filled up and put about 10 miles on it. stopped at my daughters gymnastics and when i started it up later, bam, low fuel light and the gauge read below empty, drove it about 100 yds and it cleared up, i thought it might be the temp outside, 25 degrees. who knows?

·
Registered
310 Posts
This really doesnt deal with the problem of the errant gas guage but just thought i would add it for a pointer. First i dont normally fill my tank with the engine running a big no no, however when its 10 degrees outside i will at times make an exception. Anyway if u fill your tank with the Bullitt running dont expect the guage to just climb right to the full mark it wont. it takes a bout 10 minutes. Now if u shut the car down and fire it back up no problem climbs right to the top. Just thought i would share that pointer!
Thanx Havgun #1676 Happy New Year All !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts