Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first saw my Bullitt, the first thing that I noticed was the large gap between the wheels and the fender. As a matter of fact my first post was titled “The Stance of a 4x4”. It seems very few BullittHeads have a problem with this but every time I walked to my car I couldn’t help thinking – Got to lower this car. Well finally did and now Bullitt sits just right.
Installed a set of Steeda sports springs and upper strut mounts. It is hard to believe that the stock flimsy plastic mounts can support the front end of a 4,000lbs car, they look more like they came out of a Civic. The Steeda’s steel ones on the other hand look like they would handle a Hummer 1.
The installation is straight forward, the parts come with good instructions. Also, there is a step by set procedure in the April 2007 Mustang Monthly edition. MM took 3 hours to do the swap (pro shop, hoist and air wrench), it took me about a day and half.
Steeda claims the springs will lower the front end by 1 inch and the rear by 1 ¼ inch. After a 25 mile run and few figure of 8s to make sure the springs were seated correctly, the car sits ¾ inch lower in the front and 1 inch in the rear. Maybe the springs will sag the ¼ inch over time……
As the strut mounts come with an adjustable camber plate, I made a template (pic) of the location of the stock struts and measured the distance between the fender and the upper ridge of the rim (pic) before the swap to get the struts as close to the original location.
Using these hi-tech tools, I came up with before and after difference of camber : Left Front -1/16”, Right front +1/16” . The rear axle moved 3/32” to the right. Took my car for a wheel alignment. Camber and Caster were within specs but they readjusted the toe from a Total Toe of -.023 degree to 0.11 degree.

Before and After pics

Camber Gauge

Strut Locator

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Thanks. Interesting post. I think that amount of lowering will keep the handling characteristics better.

I thought it was mentioned before that our cars have the same upper strut mounts as the GT500. I guess not

·
Registered
670 Posts
Looks great. Thanks for the info. Has the ride quality suffered much after the springs were installed?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Even better stance. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looks less like a cricket and more like it should! Thanks for the pics. What differences have you felt in the ride? Is is a bit more of a jolt when you hit uneven pavement?

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Much better looking. I have those springs on my 01 but didn't get the drop I wanted. The handling is better though. I like your creative ways to get everything aligned.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
AWESOME! Can you post more pictures, like 3/4 views?

I've always thought the Roush springs weren't aggressive enough, but with some larger meats, this looks like the kit to have!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Errrr... damn double post...

DELETE!

·
Car Whisperer
21,384 Posts
looks much better. nice choice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Luc - I have Sport Springs sitting in my garage waiting for my Tokico D-specs to get here next week.

Regarding the rear springs - is there a way to tell which is the top or the bottom of the spring? The sports don't look like the ultralites where the coils are tighter at the top?!?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for late replies guys. Summer is so busy, dont get to log on to IMBOC as frequently as I should, and I usually check New Posts - Last 24 Hours.... I obviously missed your post:frown:

The rear springs have the same dimensions top and bottom and the instruction sheet does not mention anything about specific top or bottom so I put the end with the etched number on top (if I remember well - dont think it matters).

The quality of ride has changed but not necessarily for the worse. On smooth pavement it is similar to stock but less nose dive on braking and cornering feels much better. On rough pavement, it jolts (to use Sammy 01's term)and inside the car it is clunky, bad when the tires are cold (I run 34-35 psi). When the tires are warmed up and the pavement is hot it is not unlike stock. I can live with the front but the back really clunks. I took everything out of the trunk (I put in the spare, jack and wheel wrench out of my 05 GT) to make sure it was not something loose but no, it is the suspension hammering the spring tower. I might try changing the rear shocks for softer ones. I changed the strut mounts because the springs were out anyway and I knew the stock struts were not the best , but I felt $500+ to replace brand new struts too expensive. I may have been wrong. Am I pleased with this mod? Yes, very much so. But this my fun car, not the daily driver.

I will post 3/4 view pics jy montoya... but since you are from GA you can come to the Nationals and see it for yourself. HG 0291 is packed, fueled up, ready to leave tomorrow 0600 for Myrtle Beach :smile:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks bud, I appreciate it! I had posted the same inquiry on Steeda's site and they told me that one end was wound tighter than the other...but I just wasn't seeing it. I'll put the etched end up like you suggested.

I'll let you know what I think about the ride with the d-specs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
FYI - Steeda posted another reply and they confirmed there is no top or bottom on the rear sport springs and can be mounted either direction.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts