Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my bullitt with Eibach Springs already installed, but it wasn't very low at all. I don't want it to be in the weeds, but a little more aggressive stance like I've had on several of my other mustangs would be nice. So, I cut a coil off of both front springs, and a coil and a half off of the rear. The rear sits perfect, it's not even very low, but when I drive the car, it seems that the rear isn't compressing, it's very stiff. So i removed the pinion snubber above the rear-end, and it still rides the exact same way. I pushed down on either side and it compresses, but when i push down on the center of the car, it doesn't move. this is leading me to believe that the driveline may be pushed into the trans too far for it to allow the rear-end to go down, and i imagine this will cause problems with the transmission. My question is, who else has lowered their bullitt and have they noticed that the rear-end got stiff like that, and if so, did they find out if it was in-fact the driveline? I've never had a mustang do this to me, but i've also not had a 2001-2004 model, so maybe the chassis is different from the SN95?!?!

Thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts
I really don't know much about lowering the bullitt, but if I were you I'd get some sportline springs that lower the b without having to actually cut them. I've heard bad things about cutting springs down. This may solve your problem.

·
Registered
258 Posts
were the eibach springs progressive rate? i'm not positive, but my understanding is that cutting progressive rate springs dramatically changes the spring rates. you may have cut the section that allows the most compression.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
luke - Now that you mention it, when cutting the rears, they were progressive rate, and the only part you can cut is the top, which is the softer-wound part, so i probably just got rid of most of my soft ride from that, and now i'm into the "race" type ride.

Brad - Thanks for your input sir. I've cut dozens of stock and aftermarket mustang springs, and never had any problems. I was just concerned as this was a mustang chassis that i've never worked on. I use a cutting wheel so as not to overheat them like a torch will. Generally speaking, no damage will be done to a spring in that regard, although you can drastically alter the cars handling and ride characteristics as I have shown in this case. haha.

I'm probably going to order some H&R's and start over from scratch.

I'm gonna get under the car with the suspension at ride height and check the driveline slack as well.

Thanks gang

·
Registered
258 Posts
thought they might be. seems like most eibach street sets are.

i've got h & r's on mine. not slammed, but looks great. ride is very good too. i didn't got super stiff on rates though. unless you're road racing, auto-x, etc. on a regular basis, i'd stick with street rates.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I put the H&R super sports on mine and it really lowered the car in the front, gave it a good stance.

The best price I could find for them was from www.tirerack.com and they were at my doorstep in 2-3 days.

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
I have the Supersports too. The front did not drop as much as I thought they might but I also have the urethane insolators installed top and bottom. It is not as low as Bullitt890 (search for his pics). He did not install the isolators.

The SS springs are a little stiffers than the stock springs but the Bilsteins more than make up for it. The handling is unbelievable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right on, thanks again for the input everyone. I really appreciate it. I went out after some of the responses yesterday and pushed on the back of the car, and it was infact moving up and down, so it's definitely the fact that I got rid of the softer rate when I cut the rear. I'm going to have to deal with the bone-jarring ride for now. I used to road race a lot, so i'll deal with it for a bit, i was used to the harsh springs. i ran 800-1000 pounders in the front of my other cars. teeth-rattling, let me tell you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts