Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my mach 460 is seriously screwed. it wont play CD's. One day i loaded a CD and thats when it all started. it never played. now when i press the CD button the radio goes quite for about 15 seconds then spits out "CD ERROR" and goes back to FM radio... so i try to eject any of the 6 cds in the unit and it instantly says CD ERROR... i already tried disconnecting the battery to reset it but no luck... anybody have any advice other then taking it to the dealership?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I have that problem on a semi-regular basis. When you eject the cd, and you can see the door open, stick a credit card underneath the cd and push up and pull out with tweezers. If it closes on you, do the eject thing and shut off the ignition when the door opens. You may have to do that with all of them, but it's probably just one that's the culprit. By the way, is it hot where you are? That's usually the reason. I think the cover warps or something and doesn't open right.

·
Registered
771 Posts
That's a pre-cursor to total meltdown! :)

Mine did that for about a year and a half before it finally decided to eat the CD's all together.

I went the Audiophile way, and ripped the 460 Deck out and slid an Alpine CD player in.

But agreed on the credit card. I had one just for that purpose when I had that problem... It's like it just doesn't get enough ooomph to eject it.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Mine just went on me 2 weeks ago.Last year off and on it would give issues ejecting cd's,then nothing until a couple of weeks ago,and it also had a hard time reading cd's to play,took like 20 or so minutes to read it.What i did to get the cd's out was just used an old cd that was no good.i would press the eject button then the pressed the slot i wanted empty,and here it would give an error,if i remember corectly,this where i would slide the old no good cd in just a bit,and slid it back out,then the cd would came out.I have replaced my Mach 460 6 cd player with a new after market one since.Got me a Panasonic.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had the same problem and I eventually just used tweezers to remove the jammed CD. I still got a CD error after taking it out manually, so I disconnected the battery, left the car disconnected for 10 minutes, reconnected it and the CD player reset and fixed itself.

·
Registered
771 Posts
P-51 Bullitt said:
What model Alpine Deck did you put it?
It's an Alpine CDA-9815. Awesome deck!

I never got around to hooking the Satellite up to it. I had a Siruis Starmate, but have since cancelled my Satellite.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I may like to find something that is the same size as our 460 system (Double Din) and is more or less plug & play (including MP3's). Not interested in Satellite Radio. Would be nice to have an aux input jack though for my Garmin GPS which I hate using the FM Modulator thing.

I have seen several nice ones (including full screen DVD touch screens) but they all seem to accept only one CD at a time behind a motorized screen. Is there any out there that actually hold 6 CD's in the head unit like our 460 does?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Alan, check out the Pioneer AVH-P6800DVD (I think that was the model) from last year. I have installed several at work (my job is a pro stereo installer-hence name) and was a fully motorized 7" touch screen monitor with 6 disc dvd changer. they didn't sell many, so i think that is why they were discontinued. sweet unit, though. If you want, PM me and I can call our distributor Monday to see if they still have any left. If I remember they were around $1800.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can't believe this has not been said. PUNCH IT. lightly

If you lightly punch the face of it the cd will pop out. The first time i did this was just on a whim, then 6 punches later and I got all of my cd's out. I figure its some latch mechanism or something that gets stuck.

I would use the tweezers/credit card on the first cd. That is the original problem. Then if you have any others in there that still get stuck start whacking it.

Remember lightly!!!!!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
installermarc said:
Alan, check out the Pioneer AVH-P6800DVD (I think that was the model) from last year. I have installed several at work (my job is a pro stereo installer-hence name) and was a fully motorized 7" touch screen monitor with 6 disc dvd changer. they didn't sell many, so i think that is why they were discontinued. sweet unit, though. If you want, PM me and I can call our distributor Monday to see if they still have any left. If I remember they were around $1800.
Is this it:
http://www.electronicexpress.com/product?prod_id=9693&refer=6&cpc=6

Also, I sent you a PM about a Mach 460 to Mach 1000 swap.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I was slightly upset about losing the 6 CD for one single too... BUT... The Alpine plays MP3's, so I've got 6-8 albums on CDs in MP3 format. Stick em on shuffle, and what it go! :)

I also was a little upset about going from the full sized factory look to the smaller aftermarket look. But that lasted only a few minutes. The adapter has a little pocket that overall looks great. Comparing both 01's in my driveway, I like the look of the aftermarket way better...

I do have interest in a 460 to 1000 deck conversion. If I remember correctly, don't the 1000s play MP3s?

There are MANY posts here about sliding an aftermarket deck seemlessly into a Mach 460 system. Mine is one of those! :) Currently I am still running the Mach 460 speakers and amps with an Alpine CD Player and Infinity Bass Link in the trunk.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Yeah, that's the one. Cheaper than I can get it for though...

Still, was an excellant unit.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Yeah, that's the one. Cheaper than I can get it for though...

Still, was an excellant unit.

·
Registered
967 Posts
i have had the same problem off and on. it seems to mostly to be the cd #1 and #6 slot but they all do that once and a while. i want to put an alpine head unit in also but will it work with any alpine head unit or only certain ones? ive heard that if you change the head unit you have to change the whole setup because the mach 460 sound system only works with the origonal components or something like that. is that true? or can i swap what ever i want and still be fine?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Instead of taking a risk of messing CD's up with tweezers. Take a small paper clip and bend it straight and put a small hook on the end of it and slide it on top of the CD and hook the hole in the center and pull it out when you try to eject it. It will come right out. I have one made for my Bullitt and my 02 GT. The Mach 1000 in my 02' has the same problem as the 460 in the Bullitt. The paper clip works like a charm!

·
Registered
771 Posts
DHG #1078 said:
i have had the same problem off and on. it seems to mostly to be the cd #1 and #6 slot but they all do that once and a while. i want to put an alpine head unit in also but will it work with any alpine head unit or only certain ones? ive heard that if you change the head unit you have to change the whole setup because the mach 460 sound system only works with the origonal components or something like that. is that true? or can i swap what ever i want and still be fine?
Here's what I learned:

The Mach 460 is both internally and externally amplified. The 460 Head Unit has an internal cross-over onboard... What's that mean, simply? The highs are split from the lows inside of the 460 and then the highs areamplified internally. Your door tweeters, the "sub" tweeters are controlled inside the 460. The "bass" is sent back to the amplifier in the trunk, which in turn is amp'd and sent to the sub part of the factory system.

Will aftermarket work. YES! I am proof. You need a Metra wire harness, right now the number escapes me, but so a search here and you will find many subjects on it. Make sure that your after market deck has a Pre-Amp output, you know, one that you'd hook up if you were going to put some boom in the trunk. The Metra taps into that to power the system through the 460 Amps. The new harness will tie the crossed over section back into a "normal" setup.

Now, with that said. The Alpine that I am running is way more advanced than the Mach 460 System. It ends up being like a 418 Stroker with a supercharger and nitrous in an 89 Fox that is purely street driven by grandma. The Alpine does take the Mach system to it's limits, unfortunately, the deck has so much more potential. Compared to my fiance's 01 GT with the 460 System, mine hands down sounds way better. The reason that most say to replace the entire system is that the aftermarket decks are designed to run with a 2-4 Ohm speaker. The 460 (if I remember right) is more like a 6 or 8 Ohn system. That means that aftermarket purely over powers the original. If I were to take the 460 stuff out, and replace it with aftermarket as well, it would sound even better. Plans are for mine to get that treatment, but for now, it sounds just fine to me.

Many Bullittheads have replaced their decks and kept the rest of the system intact, just hit up a search for Metra, you'll see what I mean.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts