Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a big fan of after market head unit replacements of the mach 460. I just don't like flashy blue and red lights etc...
I also like satellite radio but am not a fan of the portable head units, mostly because of the wires everywhere. In my old car i even installed the portable player inside the glove box and wired the wires behind the dash and under the console so you couldn't see anything.

So recently I have been seeing these audio adapters for stock factory stereos. Here is one from Crutchfield. http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?showAll=N&g=50900&i=581DFF20&tp=1672

The only question I have is does the Mach 460 have a external cd changer adapter? or perhaps are there other such devices perhaps that go through the FM-radio hook up?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yes, this works in the Bullitt. Put one in my son's last year, to hook up his I-pod after the CD player went out. Ran the wires under the center console, and inside the box. Nice and neat.

·
Registered
967 Posts
it works. got one for mine for x-mas. works great and sounds great. very easy install. The plugs are stubborn and hard to plug into the back of the stereo but other than that its a breeze. it took me like 25 min. im sure if i did it again it would take more like 15. just make sure the plugs that go into the head unit snap into place.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so what device are you using the adapter to hook into the radio?? ipod?

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
How does an ipod connect to that

ton6y said:
I am not a big fan of after market head unit replacements of the mach 460. I just don't like flashy blue and red lights etc...
I also like satellite radio but am not a fan of the portable head units, mostly because of the wires everywhere. In my old car i even installed the portable player inside the glove box and wired the wires behind the dash and under the console so you couldn't see anything.

So recently I have been seeing these audio adapters for stock factory stereos. Here is one from Crutchfield. http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?showAll=N&g=50900&i=581DFF20&tp=1672

The only question I have is does the Mach 460 have a external cd changer adapter? or perhaps are there other such devices perhaps that go through the FM-radio hook up?
Jeff Laughhunn said:
Yes, this works in the Bullitt. Put one in my son's last year, to hook up his I-pod after the CD player went out. Ran the wires under the center console, and inside the box. Nice and neat.
Last year when I looked at that same site thay had an adaptor for 200 bucks that I was considering
but they said it was NOT compatible with the mach 460 in the Bullitt

·
Registered
325 Posts
If I recall, this one also said it would not work with the Mach 460. It was reading all the feedback letters on the Crutchfield site that convinced me that it would work. And I see now that this Spec adapter is listed for the Mach 460 now. $80, you can't go wrong. Unless you have a CD changer actually hooked up to the spot it'll be using, than that's another story....

·
Registered
325 Posts
Only drawback (to the I-pod), is the volume is not nearly as loud as the radio/CD player, without distortion. Staring off, the connection is outta that little mini-y headphone out. I don't do I-pod, but I also wonder how much degredation is attributed to the lower quality recorded songs on one. I'd like to hear a full-bitrate recording played right next to the normal compressed rate on my son's music list. But as I don't do I-pod (and my Mach CD-player still works), I most likely will never know. But before I scare you off from the purchase, it most definitely plays, and my 19 year old listens to it every day.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i'm not really interested in using it for ipod mostly satellite radio. My 460 still works fine and since you can record cd's from itunes' software its really not an issue. Whatever sound quality problems there are with the device have to be 100% better than the FM modulators.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Anyone find a cheaper place to buy this? It sounds like a great product.

Where did you mount the interface box, or did you just stuff it back there? Did you purchase the ground loop device too? (from Crutchfield?)

·
Registered
325 Posts
ton6y said:
Well i'm not really interested in using it for ipod mostly satellite radio. My 460 still works fine and since you can record cd's from itunes' software its really not an issue. Whatever sound quality problems there are with the device have to be 100% better than the FM modulators.
Yes indeed. My son started with the modulator. He quit using it, and only listened to the radio, for the most part, before he got the harness last Christmas. And besides the fact the modulators suck, they're being dropped by most manufacturers, cause the FCC is griping about the stronger ones (that might actually have a chance to work). After the harness setup, the next choice would be using a split in the antenna cable, but I've heard that's not much better than the modulator. I'm considering trying that setup in the Wifemobile for hooking up a Sat radio (nobody makes a harness.....)

·
Registered
113 Posts
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=771&i=142FMMOD01&c=3&tp=121&avf=N
Thats the adapter i first had in my svo when i got my ipod. i maybe had it for 6 months before i decided it wasnt great and went with an alpine deck with ipod interface. the adapter is convenient if you dont care too much about sound quality, but after awhile i just coudnt handle it. even though its plugged right in, you still get some static. take it easy, hope that adapter works for you. i like the 6 disc but im goin back to the alpine in the bullitt, i miss my ipod. haha. take it easy guys.
-Karl

·
Registered
967 Posts
mine actually sounds really good. i was amazed with the sound quality. maybe i just got lucky but i love mine. i ran the cable under the plastic and into the center console through where the power adapter is. really slick setup and easy.

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
Cool I just ordered one from ebay. its the same one crutchfield has. I had some money in pay pal so i used it up it was 75 with free shipping. A little cheaper then crutchfield too. should be here in a week.... I let you know when it arrives and is installed...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts