Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's odd that no national automotive publication has had a road test of the Bullitt prior to it's introduction and release to us the customer. If you think about it there have been many press release articles but no road tests. This is unusual. Normally the major magazines get a car to test before it's release. There have been published road tests of the new Thunderbird
although they were preproduction models.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,024 Posts
I agree, that does seem unusual.

We let our dealer, from his home, take Bullitte for a test drive alone. He took her on the freeway and came back very excited and with a huge grin! He said "This car has more HP than 265! More like 280!" He had driven a lot of 2001Gts this year and said the Bullitt has WAY more hp than 265 with his experience. He said they are probably hiding something at Ford. We'll see!

Mystang99: We took Bullitte in today to get fog lights put on and to get the exhaust tips re-positioned. Will let you know how they did the tips! Vicki

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TwoStangWmn on 2001-05-29 09:35 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
thanks vickie,...please let me know about the tips especially

·
Registered
78 Posts
TwoStangWmn...
Me too on the Tips...
Thanks

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I talked with one of the guys at MM&FF mag,and he said they hadn't got one to test yet. This was a week ago! However,I am sure there will be some magazine mod and dyno stories on it soon.....around wintertime!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Remember,it takes them about 6 weeks to get the story out. Since the July issue is already out,look for something around Sept./Oct.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree, when the manufacture wants exposure for a car prior to sale they always release a preproduction model to the automotive press. It is very rare in my opinion that Ford has introduced the first non SVT, Factory mechanically modified, GT in recent years and there is no pre introduction road test on the car.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
hey 1Nasty, kinda agree with you about Autoweek. i have been a loyal subscriber since the days when it came to my mailbox in newspaper format yet they do seem to suck/kiss up to the manufactures too much. never take the "hard line" on too much do they? last issue had 6 pages on the new T-bird but nary a mention of our Bullitt. i'm kinda surprised that not one single car "rag" reported anything about the horsepower conflict either. (NO, I'm NOT starting that thread again!!!!)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I don't find it that unusual. The Bullitt *is* just listed as a GT package, and Ford *did* reduce the HP rating from "preliminary 270" to just 5 HP over a stock GT. Most magazines would probably think it is just not worth it to feature an article on just another pretty GT. Then again, most mags rely on the manufacturer to provide them the vehicle for testing.....they don't usually go out and buy one. Ford may not have any production models to provide.......

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where are the first Bullitt's to come off the line. Do we know of any Bullitt's numbered 20 to 59...I would think some of these would have to have gone to the press pool. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think the mags will have stuff in a month or two, I heard there was a big media thing out in Cali for all the magazines to drive the Bullitt just last week. Kinda sucks though, they will all have been sold by the time this stuff hits the newsstand.

·
Registered
225 Posts
THe 'Stang folks heard 'bout Bullitt and most of us preordered or put our names on one before they went into production on March 5th,so it is no surprize to me that the car rags don't have one to play with.
Bullitt 680 did a dyno test this past weekend and looking at his numbers, the Bullitt comes up 276hp at the fywheel and 327 ftlbs of torque. That looks like more than 5 hp to me,it is closer to advertised numbers we were first told of.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-05-31 11:12, Rara wrote:
I think the mags will have stuff in a month or two, I heard there was a big media thing out in Cali for all the magazines to drive the Bullitt just last week. Kinda sucks though, they will all have been sold by the time this stuff hits the newsstand.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

It is bittersweet isn't it? The Bullitts will sell, so I don't think that is an issue, but it would be nice to have more excitement and awareness around the car.

I find that most people just think its a "cool looking Mustang", and have no idea as to the differences in the car. I think if awareness was raised, we'd get more attention as owners, but its just icing at this point. :smile:

I do think that Ford and Team Mustang deserve credit for putting together a great package, and magazine reviews would serve as a way to "congratulate" them on a job well done... not to mention a way for us to show off. :smile:

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
IF and WHEN the articles come out I wnat to get a copy of each to keep with the car so 20 years from now when my memory goes(more than it has already!) I can have them for resource info. I thought someone said on BON that the first so many cars were for media use? It's been awhile so I'm not sure.
Cam

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,024 Posts
Chilli: I have all the magazines that had articles on the Bullitt (I believe). If anyone sees ANY articles on the Bullitt from now on, sould they please post it so I can run down and get a copy for my collection. Chilli, have you purchased the movie "Bullitt" yet and get the dye cast model of the 68 Fastback yet? You should!

Vicki

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have the DVD, the soundtrack, which is permanently placed in the #1 spot on my CD changer, the die cast model (which a friend thoughtfully bought for me) and the brochure hanging on my desk at work. Not that I am at all obsessed or anything. :wink:

I don't have a Bullitt poster yet though. Although I did pick up a Great Escape Steve McQueen on the motorcycle poster over the weekend.

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
I haven't found the die-cast yet Vicki. I'm hoping that Ford puts out a 1/18 scale of out BULLITTs. Wouldn't that be cool??!!?? I've been trying to find the DVD around town here but no luck yet. Going to Columbus next week and see if I can find it there.
Cam

·
Registered
225 Posts
Wally's World(wal-mart) has both the dvd and the model. Got both and am now looking for the Charger, going to one of each and store for my grandsons later.Besides, if these Bullitts are anything like the Shelbys of the 60s we could be owning a small goldmine for our grandbabies,don't you think?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have the die-cast of the 68 Bullitt Mustang (You can buy if from Wal-Mart for $15), the DVD of the movie, a Bullitt movie poster (the orange one - got it from eBay) and the 2001 car brochure framed.

I would love to get the media kit that was distributed at the LA Auto show in January 2001, which announced the Bullitt.

The wife thinks I am nuts - But attributes it to a mid-life crisis.

:bullitt:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts