Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
Just had the Magnaflow X Catalytic Converter (MFG pt. no. 15448) installed by a local shop this past Friday and drove it for the first time today. I don't have any other engine or exhaust madifications. I left the stock Bullitt axel back exhaust in place.

I am going to add thoughts about the Magnaflow as I put miles on it (or through it I should say).

First impression:
-When I first started the car I immediately knew there was a change. It was louder but not obnoxious. It growled a good deal. After it warmed up the sound dropped back to what sounded like factory H pipe sound levels. Then I took it for a ride and the sound is just where I want it to be. At 60 - 70 mph in 5th at 2Krpms the car is quiet enough to have a cell conversation but friends did notice a little more noise. When you step on the gas around town or through the parking lots it has a very pronounced growl and volume goes way up but again not too bad.

Here is the caveat, there is a drone or a particular pitch that is a bit unpleasant if you are at 60-70mph, in 5th and running at 2k IF you start up an incline. I down shifted and it went away but the rpm's went up and it got a bit noisey. Over the next week or so I am going to find out if I can find a way to manage this and will let you know.

Bottom line for my first impression: It is doing what I want at the sound levels I was looking for. It was worth the cost of the part and the time and money for installation. There are some rattles! But I can't be sure if it is the X pipe or the Hurst Comp shifter that was installed at the same time.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Bob, Keep us posted. AS far as Im concerned there should be no rattles from the exhaust. Some on this site found that when the exhaust expands when hot parts touch causing a rattle. Sound like good mods to me enjoy them.If you paid for install keep taking it back til your happy.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Try staying in 4th until you are gong well past 65 sustained.

I think you'll like how responsive the engine is with those few extra rpm at that speed and your mileage really won't suffer much. You can check by switching your readout to mpg in both gears. Plus, you'll get rid of the drone.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATES!
Ok, I have been running this new X pipe for a week or two and it is perfect! We worked out the rattle that I spoke of.......seems the installer forgot to cut off the "L" bracket that comes on the pipe. The "L" bracket was hitting the underside of the car and making an awful racket. In fact the DRONE that I spoke of was completely due to the "L" bracket rubbing on the car at highway speeds.

If you are looking for a "polite" sound upgrade or if you want a car that at idle sounds a little more aggressive than factory - then when you step on it deffinitely sounds more aggressive than factory....try an X pipe first.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well good to hear your happy with it.
I would just like to add, that L-Bracket (hanger) was left on my new exhaust,
what I did was slide a front shock rubber bushing on both sides.
My guess is Ford eliminated a mount on the newer S197's that helped support the exhaust. (cost saving)
The rubber shock bushing fits perfect and helps keep the exhaust stable from rattles
and shifting around under bumps and TQ.
Even though I have no issues with mine, I've thought about maybe getting the mount
from Ford. My opinion is it's a long stretch under there with no hanger...support.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Loop said:
Try staying in 4th until you are gong well past 65 sustained.

I think you'll like how responsive the engine is with those few extra rpm at that speed and your mileage really won't suffer much. You can check by switching your readout to mpg in both gears. Plus, you'll get rid of the drone.
Good advice here! Our gears are pretty long, and I was shocked to find that my mileage didn't really vary by short shifting...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts