Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think? I don't have the Ducats for both that and a new exhaust and the Bullitt cat back seems pretty free flowing as it is...

Think it will work well/sound good?

Is there a better way? (I want to love the planet by keeping some cats on the car)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hi Werm,
I agree with you and almost went this route. I hear the Mag highflow "X" is well made a fairly simple to install, and gives good sound.
I also hear most say that any "X" gives a higher pitched sound, more revvy sounding, more exotic.
Personally I like the deep rumble of a musclecar that the "H" gives. Right now there's only ONE company making a highflow "H" with 2 cats for the '01 cars...MAC. I ordered the MAC and it will be here within days.
I'd say between the Magnaflow and the MAC it is a toss up, but I felt safer sound-quality-wise sticking with an "H". The MAC, part number C4699, ordered from macperformance.com is also less expensive than the Magnaflow, though it's mot 100% stainless steel. I'll let you know what I think after install in a week or so.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ttt.

I'm waiting Dennis... You gotta let me know how it sounds. I wonder about the X pipe sound, but I want the performance. The H pipe w/ cats is supposed to be comparable, eh?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
My new highflow H should arrive tomorrow. If I have time to put it on tomorrow I'll give you an impression of the sound. If not, I won't be able to get to it for eight days (about to go on my 7 day shift). I would assume, though, that it would be the same exact sound the guys are getting with the stock exhaust and offroad H...same cool musclecar-Bullitt stock sound just amplified. That's my hope, anyway.
The X makes a higher pitched exotic sound I've been told. But, if it's primarily performance you're after I've been told the Magnaflow X is tough to beat.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Werm,

There has been much discussion on X vs. H-pipe. The conclusion was that if you want to go with the stock cat back then go with a h-pipe. The reason being that h-pipes work well with baffled mufflers, whereas x-pipes work well with straight through style mufflers. It seems like most of the owners who went with an X-pipe were iffy about the sound, but the ones who put h-pipes on loved it. Good luck.

Brad

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well, it looks like I'm going to do something a little different from any of the systems that I seen posts about. Team Ford in Marietta wants to use my Bullitt as a test for a Spin-Tech X-pipe w/cats, and Spin-Tech mufflers. They tell me that their exhaust products are really popular in Hawaii, but are not well known on the east coast, so they are willing to give me a sweet deal so they will have a Bullitt with one of those systems. They are going to throw in a before and after dyno run, so we can see the hp increase. They also say they sound about the same at idle, but sound like a Nascar at WOT, but they don't drone on the highway. That pretty much describes what I am looking for, with a moderate hp gain, so I will give it a try. Should get it in a couple of weeks, and I will post the results. :grin:

:bullitt:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-28 11:35, MOLJAY wrote:
Well, it looks like I'm going to do something a little different from any of the systems that I seen posts about. Team Ford in Marietta wants to use my Bullitt as a test for a Spin-Tech X-pipe w/cats, and Spin-Tech mufflers. They tell me that their exhaust products are really popular in Hawaii, but are not well known on the east coast, so they are willing to give me a sweet deal so they will have a Bullitt with one of those systems. They are going to throw in a before and after dyno run, so we can see the hp increase. They also say they sound about the same at idle, but sound like a Nascar at WOT, but they don't drone on the highway. That pretty much describes what I am looking for, with a moderate hp gain, so I will give it a try. Should get it in a couple of weeks, and I will post the results. :grin:

:bullitt:

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I was thinking of these. I can hardly wait to see what you come up with.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hi all and Werm,
I put the MAC highflow "H" on and went for a quick drive around the block and it is everything I'd hoped it would be...The stock sound is louder and lower making for a bit meaner sound. Perfect.
Now to wait for the coating to burn off...Ohhh the smell!!!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hi Werm,
The fit wasn't bad at all. No problems actually. What helped was re-reading posts here about installing MAC "H"s and emails from Doug (a Bullitthead) concerning quirks of installing the system...so I was prepared with bolts for the driver's side header connection, and step by step instructions that made far more sense than those supplied with the MAC product (MAC wanted me to re-connect the 02 sensors BEFORE the header bolts...not really possible from where I was seeing it).
The "H" itself fit perfectly.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I am really wondering now if the Bullitt mufflers have any baffles,or chambers at all? They sound somewhat like mellow glasspacks,when you get on it.....a little BRRAAAAPPPPPP.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I think you're right 408,
I think I read here a while ago that our mufflers have the exhaust entering in a perforated tube and exiting in another perforated tube on the opposite side, but no real chambers or baffles. That post is here somewhere?

·
Registered
78 Posts
All;

Is Magnaflow's X-Pipe WITH CATS available now? I read an article somewhere that said it was still undergoing prototype testing.

If it's available great! What's the price? I didn't see it anywhere on the Magnaflow home page.

I'm going to convert over to Magnaflows Catback, Magnaflow X-Pipe w/CATS/ and Shorty Ceramic Coated JBA headers all at the same time. I'm hoping that this will make for a sweet sounding and efficient setup.

Let me know your thoughts on this total system.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Yes it is available and should be a GREAT setup! I considered going this route but decided I wanted an "H" instead of an "X" (sound quality reasons).
The Magnaflow X goes for a little over $400 I think.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Installed my Bassani X pipe with NO cats today. A one hour job on a hoist with gawkers in the way most of the time. There are no hangars ,just the 8 bolts and ox sensors un-snap. A perfect fit,no deals or hassels.Ive never seen any exhaust modification this clean and painless. Bassani did their homework,and its shiny stainless steel will wow the folks who peek under it to see what makes that sweet music.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I recently installed the BBK offroad X-pipe....the sound is a bit loud and would not recommend this if daily driven. Offers an exhaust tone that most enthusiasts desire.........as long as you arent inside the car..lol. Just a little loud for my taste.

·
Registered
597 Posts
MIL eliminators are available from Dallas Mustangs or you can find the plans to build your own online by doing a search for MIL Eliminator. It makes the PCM believe the catalyst are still present and doesnt retard timing or cut back fuel as the PCM does when the catalyst are removed.

·
Registered
148 Posts
et1boke: Bassani has bungs for all 4 ox sensors .Screwed em in and plugged em in and still waiting for MIL light to come on.Nothing yet in 100 miles of varied driving.Hope it keeps up, but will have to go eleminator route if light comes on. Will advise you if it does. This is a garage queen and I can live with the loud sound. Wont break windows but its a head turner. I love it!!!!!Will keep you posted.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts