Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang- I took this discussion out of the original Maisto Bullitt so when the URL is submitted, I won't look like a dope and jinx the deal. But- if the Bullitt is going to be immortalized in 1/18 scale, why Maisto?

I have several Maisto, Burago, UT, Revell, and others. But the best diecast models I have seen have been AutoArt.

I bought a Cobra R Maisto for my nephew. It looked nice, but the engine detail was light, the paint was too thick (and chipped easily) and lacked detail. The AutoArt version looks fantastic.

My 1/24 Maisto Cobra is has a GT engine, rear lights, wheels, grill and live axle rear end.

If Maisto is going to paint the GT green, lop off the wing and try to pass it off as a Bullitt... that's not going to cut it.

The Bullitt deserves its red brakes, fuel dor, blacked out grill, c-pillar and interior.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hey, JP, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I saw your thread embedded in the Maisto topic and I wasn't ignoring it, I just wanted to make sure that the topic stayed clean for submission, like you.

I think you may be right that Maisto isn't necessarily the ideal way to go. But since they produce a vast array of 'stangs and produce in large quantity, I wanted to use them to catapult the idea among all of the better model manufacturers. I know that serious model collectors might prefer a more limited and higher quality run of Bullitts. It's important, though, that plenty be available. I hope you agree. If someone offered a limited issue of a few hundred, and they cost over a hundred each, I'd worry that we all couldn't get them. There are likely thousands of non-Bullitt owners that will want their own "Baby Bullitts" as we do.

In any event, I thought that I'd take the Maisto link and mail it not only to Maisto, but to all of the other major model manufacturers. I think we'll get more leverage that way. Manufacturers are marketers first. That's the business rule.

Let's face it, the first producer to manufacture a Bullitt model is going to strike gold with us.

Please tell me which manufacturer's we should include in the 'hit' list and I'll make sure that they all know what we're looking for.

I'm still thinking 1/18th scale (the most popular) and, hopefully, all colors could be produced - agreed?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Why not email them this topic as well so that they know what concerns the discerning Bullitt owner might have?

Joe

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
You may want to include Ertl, Bburago, Revell & Mattel (Hot Wheels). They all make 1/18 scale models. I also don't think Maisto is the best choice, but they maybe in the best position to offer a Bullitt. As was posted earlier, we will be at the mercy of whoever currently produces a '99 or later Mustang (minimize tooling costs). I think all the unique Bullitt items would be able to be modeled (seats, wheels, brakes, rocker panels, etc.)without too much trouble. Any Bullitt concept will be saddled by the licensing fees owed Warner Bros. & the Mcqueen Trust.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for listening--

Whoever gets the first one out- wins. Everyone here will buy one, even it it were a warmed over GT.

AutoArt's page has several Mustangs, and a Steve McQueen racer.
http://www3.autoartmodels.com

Maybe I'm too picky or I spend too much time with toys. It does bother me when a manufacturer cuts corners. I'd pay $100 for a proper 1/18 scale Bullitt.

Maisto and Burago are not the most detailed, but inexpensive. UT is the middle (but I think they've quit) and AutoArt is the finest, but expensive. No one has mentioned the Franklin Mint! Now there are some detailed models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts