Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something else to watch out for when having just too much fun in your Bullitt...

The other night I was approaching a red light. Car in the left lane, nobody in the right. Switch lanes to the right. The signal changes. Oh YEAH BABY! Drop a gear, down to 4th, step on it.

Now this particular intersection has a hump to it so if you hit it fast enough...

As I go over the top I back off a bit since there is no sense putting too big a shock into the drivetrain (pretty much always see that little green slug in these instances).

I land and hear this odd noise. Two days later I figure out what that noise was when I noticed that the left mud flap is <font color=red>GROUND OFF</font>! It has the tell-tale curly plastic hanging off of it. And this is with tire pressure of 32 front and 28 rear, so it is not a squished tire thing.

I guess we sit lower than I thought. BTW while all of the advertising, I mean press, I have read states Bullitts are 0.75 inches lower, BS. I rough measured at least 1.5 inches from a stock GT side-by-side one day.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Hey no one said the '68 Mustang never got damaged. If you watch the movie in slo mo on the 1st jump it bottoms out and ruptures the oil pan. You can see smoke and oil from under the car.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Make you wonder how many mustang the movie BULLITT went through????

:roll:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know the interesting, or maybe depressing, thing is that this is without really trying. It is only a bit of crown in the road that I am going over for pete's sake!

It suggests that our cars are lower and the front mud flaps are longer than we might have thought. I wondered if perhaps I might have had a low tire, but at 32 PSI I don't think that is a viable excuse.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,067 Posts
They used 2 separate 68 fastbacks for the movie "Bullitt". One was scrapped as it was a hazard to drive. The other one is in a hay barn back east somewhere I believe.

·
Registered
340 Posts
cool, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Dude,

I SNAPPED my portside front flap and ground the bottom of the starboard one when having to pull a 3 point turn on a treacherous mountain road in N. Caorlina.

I feel your pain.

Mike

·
Registered
394 Posts
I guess I have to add my mud flap grinding story.

I was taking a big sweeping on-ramp onto one of the local freeways at about 80mph and I'm pushing the car. I'm starting to get pinned against the driver's door because of the lateral G's. The car is leaning a bit and then right before I enter the freeway there is a dip in the ramp. The comdination of the car leaning and the dip is enough to shove the front wheel up into the fenderwell and I hear this scraping noise. I'm thinking the tire actually rubbed the plastic inner fender becasue the suspension was so compressed. When I got homw Ilook to see what rubbed and sure enough there were plastic curly Q's haning off the bottom of the mud flap. It was the first official scrape on the car. It's sort of lost it's virginity now. It's all down hill from here.

Eric

1 - 10 of 10 Posts