Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the right rear start to leak, brake pedal was almost to the floor. By the time I got home was barely brakes. Now no matter what I do, can't get the fluid to come out of the caliper. It's full of brake fluid on the master, no matter how many times I pump the brakes. Might of been air from the master down since brake light came on going home. Refilled it and still nothing at the caliper. Brake pedal goes to the floor like that's not pushing the fluid. Master cylinder bad ? If so how do yu install the new one when lines are in the bottom to put the new one in. Any suggestions here on easiest way to put new master on. Grrrrr :mad::mad:

·
Car Whisperer
21,674 Posts
did you bleed the master cylinder?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had the right rear start to leak, brake pedal was almost to the floor. By the time I got home was barely brakes. Now no matter what I do, can't get the fluid to come out of the caliper. It's full of brake fluid on the master, no matter how many times I pump the brakes. Might of been air from the master down since brake light came on going home. Refilled it and still nothing at the caliper. Brake pedal goes to the floor like that's not pushing the fluid. Master cylinder bad ? If so how do yu install the new one when lines are in the bottom to put the new one in. Any suggestions here on easiest way to put new master on. Grrrrr :mad::mad:
You will need to use the code analyzer to activate the antilock mechanism to get the air out of it. Sounds like you have air trapped in it....
Or drive your Bullitt on loose dirt and hit the brakes hard enough to skid the tires, antilock will kick in,,, chasing out the air. Then bleed again .
Hope this helps
Phil, 4765.

·
Registered
2001 Bullitt
47 Posts
Try bleeding master cylinder before replacing. If you put a new one on, it will also have to be bled also. There are brake bleeder kits that make it possible to bleed master cylinder while installed. I'm not saying that master cylinder is bad or needs bled. ALSO- I wonder if you turn the anti-lock switch off- will it have an effect on bleed procedure instead of using (buying) bidirectional scan tool (as suggested), to activate and deactivate anti-lock system (ABS Bleeding). I have no knowledge when the bidirectional scan tool is needed. I bled the master cylinder and front brakes on my 2001 Bullitt without a bidirectional scan tool.. I did get into trouble; fluid would come out during bleed procedure, but brake pedal would still go to floor - until I bled the master cylinder. I did not realize that air had entered the master cylinder at some point in the brake job. It took me a few days to figure it out. I know the feeling. I had to rebuild the calipers also. Rock auto had the seals and piston if you need them. I might still have a piston and seals? The calipers and rebuild kits are hard to find. The calipers are expensive when found. If I had to do it again. I would have bought the reasonbly price calipers unpainted and then painted them myself. Videos on you tube to get hints to rebuild calipers and master cylinder bleed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts