Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went out to the drag strip today (1/8th mile) and ran a few times down the track... wow!! that was fun! i don't know if my times were all that great, hope i am not an embarassment ot the bullitt community not rocking some mid 8's...

my best was 9.334 at 77mph, had a decent 1.0 reaction, but my 60ft was always sucky, around 2.2/2.3 or so at the best, due to massive wheelspin... even heating the tires up good gave me nothing, i spun in second gear shift also...

i think i might be looking into some drag racing-oriented mods in the near future... would like to not embarass myself the next time i go out (though i beat a supercharged Ion in my final run!!)

a quick pic... i dusted the ranger after the first 90 or so feet, he had a 5.0 mustang motor in it (i heard)...

shaun

·
Car Whisperer
20,877 Posts
Main thing is, you had fun and didn't break anything!!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
The main thing is to have fun and as long as you don't break it's a good day. One tip I can think of for next time...if you are running on street tires do not do a burn out, heating street tires makes them worse. Just do a quick spin to clean them off but don't heat 'em up.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Some advice on street tires. As Old Mustanger said, don't heat up street tires. Also, launch off idle, and the instant you get traction, floor it. If you feel wheelspin, release the gas (no worries, the car controls itself real quick). Not to shabby though for your first time out. All it is is practice essentially. Most inportantly, have fun!!:D

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the tips... my wheelspin is what is keeping me down i think... lost one run to a covt GT owned by a friend of mine cause i just sat there and spun the first 200 ft or so, then spun again shifting to 2nd... so no hot tires next time...

also, i should be about 14.5 or so in the 1/4 with 1/8th times like that right?

(time for those 4.10's sitting in the garage for two years to go in... and i have my eye on new rear end goodies for this fall...)

oh, and the pit guy said i did a peg leg burnout when i powered the burnout box that first time...right tire was only smoking tire... why did my trac-loc not kick in?

shaun

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Mine did the same thing. Only 1 wheel spinning. I had similar 60 ft times and ran a best of 14.45 @ 96 in the 1/4 mile. I had planned on installing a new LSD, but will probably just get the Trac-loc rebuild kit.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so my trac-loc is screwed?

ugh... not another broken part.

EDIT: how difficult is a trac loc rebuild? i am tool-oriented and have rebuilt a tranny... thanks!

shaun

·
Registered
148 Posts
Your traction-lok is probably OK, you may have gotten 1 tire wetter than the other, that will cause a 1 wheel wonder burnout. I've had it happen to me when I thought I was driving around the water box but actually got one tire in the water.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay... that makes some sense, good chance that is exactly what happened...

these idiots were all crowded around the launch and stuff, kinda hard to miss the water box with them all over the sidelines, then they want to stand right there while you launch and stuff too, very irritating, but that's what you get with the podunk local track... i cannot wait to run out to reynolds this next month and see how she does with some NHRA-sanctioned 1/4 track to really open up on...

thanks for the info gang... (and is there a way to actually test and see if my trac-loc is fudged up or not? without tearing it open?)

shaun

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Do what I did, find a parking lot and do a quick little burnout or launch and see how many black marks you leave. Mine is wearing out, so it only left one. I was told to rebuild it you have to tear the whole rearend apart, so I'm planning on getting the 03/04 cobra rebuild kit that comes with stronger clutches and some 3.73's to do it all at once.

·
Registered
467 Posts
When you put in the 4:10's you will have a different car. The gear makes a big change. As everyone told you no burnouts launch like your on the street you will have to shift quicker as the gear winds first out quick. Should be a 13 sec bullitt with the gears. Also if you are going to the track more get some drag tires. MT ET streets I run them at the strip and Nittos on the street. they give much better 60' times

HAVE FUN
Jim

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jjrocks, did you go with beefier axles, ie. have you had any issue running slicks on stock rearend/axles? i know with more power those slicks would frag the rear like a grenade, but with close to stock power, will i be okay?

thanks!
shaun

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I have seen a stock 2002 GT with 4.10's break an axle on ET streets. I would recommend beefing up the rearend before going with any kind of sticky tire. There are others that haven't had a problem with slicks and stock rearends, but personally I won't take that chance with my daily driver.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
itsabullitt said:
I have seen a stock 2002 GT with 4.10's break an axle on ET streets. I would recommend beefing up the rearend before going with any kind of sticky tire. There are others that haven't had a problem with slicks and stock rearends, but personally I won't take that chance with my daily driver.

ive run et streets on my bullitt with no issues as well as drag radials. the upgraded clutch packs for the 8.8 are all carbon fiber and itll last a while. you can do clutch packs without removing your carrier so its up to you to do gears. my car with street tires runs 8.9s @ 80 or so in the 1/8 with a 2.1 60 and thats a 13.80 @ 101

·
Registered
467 Posts
I went with an eaton posi and 31 spline axles. About 3 weeks after the build I was at Windsor weekend at Grand Bend Motorplex. Did my burnout 5500 rpm launch lights came down dumped the clutch NEVER MOVED blew the side gears off my brand new rear end. Bought another and its been great But I learned 1 thing. I now take the lash out of the system with the line lock or brake (some pressure for the clutch) then when you dump the clutch everything is tight and it goes. When the rear was slack it allowed buildup and broke.
JIM

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ugn, sounds pretty bad Jim, i will keep that in mind...

thanks to all for the great info, the upgraded cobra clutch pack is a definite while the gears are gonig in, got a friend doing an estimate for me (local club discount rate) for gears/clutch pack/stuff, without the 31 splines, cause i cannot justify the expense right now on an almost daily driver, as she will not see drag race useage more than a few times, and the chances of me running slicks are about a million to one until the new motor goes in later on...

thanks again for all the help/info gang!!

shaun

1 - 17 of 17 Posts