Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking around her for about a week - researching for hours at a time - looking at a lot of threads/posts. Let me start off by saying that this has to be the nicest, most knowledgeable, passionate bunch of people that I have seen on a forum of any type. It has been really helpful, although the wife is upset about me staring at the computer all weekend. Here is my long-winded story - please bare with me.

I currently own a 04 F150 Supercrew and 07 Expedition EL. I love both. When we got the Expy, we traded our BMW 323 in on it. It was our "fun" car. It never really did much for me but it was practical - the wife liked it at first and it had 4 doors (we have 4 kids) so it was a nice "spare" car. So now I am looking for "Dad's Fun Car". I always fancied myself a GT500 guy. I like the way that they look - not everyone owns one - the power. I end up at the local Ford dealer a lot. I have bout 6 work vehicles there in the past 2 years plus the service visits for them. I am always drooling over the GT500. Sitting in the seat, looking through the windows, etc. I remember when the Bullitt first came into the dealership. My sales guy told me to take a look at it. I said "why do I want a green V6 - ew". I looked - but went on to the GT500 or the Shelby GT. Every time I would go to the dealer I would look at it - but still would motivate to the GT500. The sales people really like it - they are from that era and came appreciate the understated quality of it - something that I have learned - more later. Well, last week I go in for some service and there it is - in the showroom next to the GT500 for the first time. It looked like a whole other car! I was like "WOW" - that's the Bullitt. It has been on my mind ever since - can't shake it. So now I am torn. I thought that I wanted the GT500 but there is something about this car that I can't put my finger on. My dealer will let me take it home over the weekend for an extended test drive. it would have been this weekend, but the weather was awful yesterday, so I am thinking next weekend. I have only driven one other Mustang - a CS convertible - it was nice. So here is where I am at with it.
What I want out of my car:
Fun to drive. Fast with power.
I want something different - not what everyone else has. I want people to look at it and say - "that's cool" - will the Bullitt do that?
Something collectible - I am still practical by nature - will it be worth a little more than the standard fare down the road.

I am really appreciating the subtleness/stealth look of the Bullitt. I have not seen the movie, but I do appreciate the link between the movie/Steve McQueen and what Ford has tried to accomplish. Yes - I do need to watch it - but I am not sure if that would make me want it any more.

I think that it may match my personality - understated but different. I don't know - I am sorry to ramble. I am not sure what to do. It's not like I am drag racing - I don't know that I would ever use the 500HP - I guess it is a matter of having it.

I need your help.

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
41,094 Posts
STJonesin4 said:
I have been lurking around her for about a week - researching for hours at a time - looking at a lot of threads/posts. Let me start off by saying that this has to be the nicest, most knowledgeable, passionate bunch of people that I have seen on a forum of any type. It has been really helpful, although the wife is upset about me staring at the computer all weekend. Here is my long-winded story - please bare with me.

I currently own a 04 F150 Supercrew and 07 Expedition EL. I love both. When we got the Expy, we traded our BMW 323 in on it. It was our "fun" car. It never really did much for me but it was practical - the wife liked it at first and it had 4 doors (we have 4 kids) so it was a nice "spare" car. So now I am looking for "Dad's Fun Car". I always fancied myself a GT500 guy. I like the way that they look - not everyone owns one - the power. I end up at the local Ford dealer a lot. I have bout 6 work vehicles there in the past 2 years plus the service visits for them. I am always drooling over the GT500. Sitting in the seat, looking through the windows, etc. I remember when the Bullitt first came into the dealership. My sales guy told me to take a look at it. I said "why do I want a green V6 - ew". I looked - but went on to the GT500 or the Shelby GT. Every time I would go to the dealer I would look at it - but still would motivate to the GT500. The sales people really like it - they are from that era and came appreciate the understated quality of it - something that I have learned - more later. Well, last week I go in for some service and there it is - in the showroom next to the GT500 for the first time. It looked like a whole other car! I was like "WOW" - that's the Bullitt. It has been on my mind ever since - can't shake it. So now I am torn. I thought that I wanted the GT500 but there is something about this car that I can't put my finger on. My dealer will let me take it home over the weekend for an extended test drive. it would have been this weekend, but the weather was awful yesterday, so I am thinking next weekend. I have only driven one other Mustang - a CS convertible - it was nice. So here is where I am at with it.
I want something different - not what everyone else has. I want people to look at it and say - "that's cool" - will the Bullitt do that?
Something collectible - I am still practical by nature - will it be worth a little more than the standard fare down the road.

I am really appreciating the subtleness/stealth look of the Bullitt. I have not seen the movie, but I do appreciate the link between the movie/Steve McQueen and what Ford has tried to accomplish. Yes - I do need to watch it - but I am not sure if that would make me want it any more.

I think that it may match my personality - understated but different. I don't know - I am sorry to ramble. I am not sure what to do. It's not like I am drag racing - I don't know that I would ever use the 500HP - I guess it is a matter of having it.

I need your help.

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.
If you're buying a Bullitt for people to gush over, it's not the right car for you. Go for a Shelby GT 500 KR. But if you want a car that will make YOU smile just by revving the engine, by all means go for the Bullitt! It's built for performance and fun, not to turn heads (although those who remember McQueen and the movie will do so). For the money, there is no better running or better handling car on the road... you will not be disappointed in the Bullitt. I suggest you rent the Bullitt movie DVD, sit down, watch it intently, then imagine yourself behind the wheel of that green Mustang instead of Steve McQueen. That's the feeling I get everytime I drive mine. :) Best of luck on your choice!
P.S. The "thing" you can't "put your finger on" is undoubtedly the ghost of Mr. McQueen, beckoning, daring you to climb inside and crank it up... :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
STJonesin4 said:

I need your help.

Hi Steve. Welcome to IMBOC. Good luck on your decision. Take 10 minutes and watch the car chase that started it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMc2RdFuOxI&feature=related

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Thanks for visiting the site.

I agree with you that the IMBOC has great group of people.

A lot of the people here could afford more expensive or exotic cars (and some have them), but it is just kind of a Bullitt thing that just seems to draw a certain kind of people to that car.

The McQueen understated cool is part of it, the cars themselves, the history, and of course IMBOC has played a big part in claiming and maintaining a small piece of turf of autombile history exclusively for Bullitts.

You have a really great opportunity in that your local Ford dealer will let you have the car for the weekend. That should really give you an idea if the Bullitt is a fit for you.

The GT 500 is a great car no doubt about it.

Part of the fun of this site is to read the articles about what the ownwers are doing to the cars to get them to perform way beyond stock and still be reliable, fun to own, drive, and maintain.

Of course I am partial to Bullitts so my opnion I admit is slightly slanted.

With those two cars as a choice in my opnion, You are in a win win sitution either way.

Casey
DCLmustang

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
StvMcQueen said:
If you're buying a Bullitt for people to gush over, it's not the right car for you. Go for a Shelby GT 500 KR. But if you want a car that will make YOU smile just by revving the engine, by all means go for the Bullitt! It's built for performance and fun, not to turn heads (although those who remember McQueen and the movie will do so). For the money, there is no better running or better handling car on the road... you will not be disappointed in the Bullitt. I suggest you rent the Bullitt movie DVD, sit down, watch it intently, then imagine yourself behind the wheel of that green Mustang instead of Steve McQueen. That's the feeling I get everytime I drive mine. :) Best of luck on your choice!
P.S. The "thing" you can't "put your finger on" is undoubtedly the ghost of Mr. McQueen, beckoning, daring you to climb inside and crank it up... :lol:
I am not a "showy/Flashy" kind of person - really. I just want something cool that not a lot of other people own. The KR is out of my price range for sure. Is it weird that I am attracted to this car and have don't have the "McQueen" reference?

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
STJonesin4 said:
I am not a "showy/Flashy" kind of person - really. I just want something cool that not a lot of other people own. The KR is out of my price range for sure. Is it weird that I am attracted to this car and have don't have the "McQueen" reference?
I bought my Bullitt sight unseen. I test drove a Shelby GT and a Mustang GT and after researching it I found that the Bullitt is kind of in between those 2 cars as far as ride goes. Power is similar to the Shelby GT. So I ordered one and mine was the first one I had ever seen in person. I really like it, but for me it is a little on the plain side. I would have ordered a GT and modded it, but I love the green color and you can only get it on the Bullitt. I intend to tastfully jazz it up a bit and maybe add 100 Hp in the next 6 months. The purists here won't like it , but it's my car. WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
STJonesin4 said:
That is the spirit of McQueen, not being flashy,something cool, and not being part of the crowd IMHO.

Casey

DCLmustang

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Steve, I also like the fact that the Bullitt is not everywhere. Aside from the Bullitt Nationals this summer, mine is the only one I see. I have seen a black one here, but I haven't seen it in a long time. There is also supposedly another HG in the next town, but I have never seen it. When I had a red 07 GT I saw a red Mustang at least 4 or 5 times a day, so I felt compelled to mod mine to make it unique (which I would have done if I didn't get the Bullitt). I don't feel the need to customize my Bullitt, which makes me happy.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
STJonesin4 said:
It's not that weird, or I am weird too. I was attracted to this car for the car itself and it was not until after I got it that I learned of the McQueen reference/movie or even that there was a 2001 Bullitt!! I just loved the car and still do :smile: I've owned several mustangs and this one is no doubt by far the best :smile:

·
Charles
13,308 Posts
Steve,

Welcoem to IMBOC!

You won't find a better bunch of people or more knowledge about the Bullitt than here. Whatever you choose is not a bad choice. I like things subtle but am definitely not a purist. I can appreciate the bone stock cars though (my '01 is modded, my '08 is stock).

You need to choose the car that fits you. The Bullitt may not have the power the GT-500 has but that's the beauty of dropping on a blower for a quick 150 hp. Still might not get you to 500 HP but it's pretty close.

Whatever you do, don't buy either car as an investment unless its an investment in fun.

Let us know whichever you choose.

·
Registered
825 Posts
"Try It ...... you'll like it"

Every once in awhile Detroit turns out a car that stands out because of it's particular look and/or performance. In the case of the 08/09 Bullitt they hit a home run in both categories. On the performance side Ford reworked the motor, shifter, rear-axle, suspension and exhaust over a standard GT. The look is "less is more" understated beauty in a paint specific color that Ford announced won't be used again. Then each car is numbered. The interior didn't get left out as you climb into the same seats used in the GT500 and the same steering wheel, along with some interior satin trim .... you know this is no ordinary Mustang GT. If raw power is your thing then by all means get the 500 hp GT500, but if driving a truly exceptionally designed musclecar that is suited for daily drives to work and a Saturday night out tearing up a 1/4 mile or just having a thrill punching through the gears than the Bullitt is a perfect choice. Here's an article that explains the design features in a way I won't go into here. If you can take one for an extended test drive than please do ...I have an idea it will find a new home.... like mine did. http://www.shnack.com/fullstory.php?sid=125

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bullitt 736 said:
Steve,

Welcome to IMBOC!

You won't find a better bunch of people or more knowledge about the Bullitt than here. Whatever you choose is not a bad choice. I like things subtle but am definitely not a purist. I can appreciate the bone stock cars though (my '01 is modded, my '08 is stock).

You need to choose the car that fits you. The Bullitt may not have the power the GT-500 has but that's the beauty of dropping on a blower for a quick 150 hp. Still might not get you to 500 HP but it's pretty close.

Whatever you do, don't buy either car as an investment unless its an investment in fun.

I know cars aren't a good investment. It would make me feel a little better if I thought that the car would be worth something down the road. I guess that the Bullitt is rarer than the GT500. I have not seen another Bullitt around, although my dealer has sold one other one. I hope this doesn't sound "queer", but being a part of this kind of camaraderie that is present on this forum is very attractive to me.

·
Registered
249 Posts
In 1990 I bought an LX 5.0 Coupe because it lacked the front lip and rear spoilers, and the side skirting that came with the GT model. But it had all the same go-fast goodies as the GT which was seen everywhere. It did not get as many stares that the GT received but once people got up close and realized it was 5.0 equipped along with the same suspension and rear end as the GT, the compliments were far more meaningful because they were based on performance potential and not looks alone.

Fast forward to 2008 and I now own an 08 Bullitt. This time it has more go-fast goodies than a stock GT while still retaining the cool sleeper performance look. I took it to a cruise-in on Friday night where other muscle cars hang out and it drew quite a crowd, particularly since it's the only one in my town.

At other times, I've seen people pull up next to me at a stop light and almost break their necks trying to figure out what I'm driving. That's always a blast and hugely entertaining to watch.

Go for the Bullitt. You'll be happy you did.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bullitt4428 said:
In 1990 I bought an LX 5.0 Coupe because it lacked the front lip and rear spoilers, and the side skirting that came with the GT model. But it had all the same go-fast goodies as the GT which was seen everywhere. It did not get as many stares that the GT received but once people got up close and realized it was 5.0 equipped along with the same suspension and rear end as the GT, the compliments were far more meaningful because they were based on performance potential and not looks alone.

Fast forward to 2008 and I now own an 08 Bullitt. This time it has more go-fast goodies than a stock GT while still retaining the cool sleeper performance look. I took it to a cruise-in on Friday night where other muscle cars hang out and it drew quite a crowd, particularly since it's the only one in my town.

At other times, I've seen people pull up next to me at a stop light and almost break their necks trying to figure out what I'm driving. That's always a blast and hugely entertaining to watch.

Go for the Bullitt. You'll be happy you did.
That is cool - the respect that you get from the car.

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
I bought a Black Bullitt without knowing exactly what I was buying! I was buying a GREAT Black Mustang with a Bullitt package. Let me tell you this, I had no idea tell I joined the club!
If you want to know anything about anything ,this is the place to be!
WELCOME

·
Registered
51 Posts
STJonesin4 said:

The Bullitt is fun to drive, that's for sure. Is it fast enough? That's all relative. Some people think that Corollas are fast, and some people think a 500+ Hp viper is too slow. Only a long test drive will let you decide that. And make sure you dig into the throttle- the initial throttle tip-in is lazy and makes the car feel slower that it actually is.
The Bullitt is definitely different but I doubt many people will say "that's cool"- not too many people know what it is. Like you, lots of people will think it is a green V6. A GT500 or a Shelby GT or even a GT/CS would be better for that.
No one can predict future collectibility and just because a car is rare doesn't make it valuable. Ford has had difficulty selling 7700 of these cars and lots of dealers will sell these cars for invoice. So no, don't count on collectibility and assume it will depreciate like any other Mustang for at least the first 5-10 years.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.