Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noob here...Does anyone else get a pretty significant 'clunk' when going over uneven pavement? It almost sounds like a loose spare tire (d'oh, checked that and figured it out with the manual but made sure the compressor is cinched down), the wood under the trunk mat (seems seated properly), or loose exhaust or worse. I've been under the car and can't find anything obvious as a problem. Could it be *gasp* the diff? Any experiences you've had would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
When in doubt with a new set of wheels I have the dealer verify the problem. If nothing else you have it documented and you are prepared for any warranty issue later.

As for the clunk, I think that's just good old fashioned rear end action as a result of the car doing a side to side swoosh. And the rear end is bumping against it's keepers. Stil, I'd let the dealer shop look it over and drive it. That's just me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, the stock driveline is know to be clunky. Not sure if thats what you're hearing or not. I know my tires make quite a bit of noise when going over bumpy pabement at speed, but I don't remember any clunking. If you're hitting significant bumps at speed, could your car be bottoming out?

·
Registered
263 Posts
NickChildress said:
Noob here...Does anyone else get a pretty significant 'clunk' when going over uneven pavement? It almost sounds like a loose spare tire (d'oh, checked that and figured it out with the manual but made sure the compressor is cinched down), the wood under the trunk mat (seems seated properly), or loose exhaust or worse. I've been under the car and can't find anything obvious as a problem. Could it be *gasp* the diff? Any experiences you've had would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Mega Clunk. Perfect description, it sounds as if the body lifts off the spring and drops back down. When the tires and the pavement are cold, Mega Clunk on rough pavement. Actually even the most ardent Bullitthead could not live with it. Fortunately, when the tires are fully warmed up and the pavement is hot (Myrtle Beach hot was great) it settles to a muffled clunk, slightly louder than my stock 05 GT.

This clunking was there before I installed Steeda Sports springs but the stiffer springs really magnified it (running the tires at 34 psi probably doesnt help). My 05 always clunked also but I think the Pirellis with 55 profile have more cushioning. I had the dealer re-torque all the components that were removed when I change the springs so it is not likely that something is loose. In my opinion this is just another thing Mustang guys have to learn to live with. I will phone Steeda,see what they have to say. Maybe they have better spring insulators for the back, which would really be a major improvement.

Short term solution: I drive in the afternoon when the pavement is hot and try to go on a smooth road :badgrin:

·
Registered
66 Posts
The rear shocks have to be disconnected before the axle can pull far enough away from the body to allow the springs any room to separate from the body or perch on the axle. With the shocks still connected, the springs are still in compression.

Go to your dealer if it concerns you and have the car checked out. If they are unable to fix it to your satisfaction, be very descriptive with your complaint (proof read what the technician types into the warranty system) so it is clear to the engineers that look at warranty info.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
What ever happened to the days that you just drove it and turned up the stereo when you heard a noise? :D

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
My drivers side mid exhaust pipe going over the stabilizing bar hits once and awhile! The dealership put a piece of rubber on the stabilizing bar tell they find out what Ford is going to do.
The opposite side pipe has a flat in it to help it clear the bar . The driver side is round and it doesn't clear the stabilizing bar.

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
40,860 Posts
BB2008 said:
What ever happened to the days that you just drove it and turned up the stereo when you heard a noise? :D
Those days went out the window when Ford engineers tuned the Bullitt exhaust to sound exactly like Steve McQueen's movie ride. We're hooked, hopelessly HOOKED! :lol:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I hear a loud clunk clunk in the rear whenever I go over multiple bumps.
The bumps must be close together. A single bump doesn't cause this. It doesn't make any difference how fast I am going. The pavement is always hot here so that isn't it either.
Just wondering if anybody discovered the reason for this. I will take it to a dealer soon.

·
Registered
126 Posts
rwartner said:
I hear a loud clunk clunk in the rear whenever I go over multiple bumps.
The bumps must be close together. A single bump doesn't cause this. It doesn't make any difference how fast I am going. The pavement is always hot here so that isn't it either.
Just wondering if anybody discovered the reason for this. I will take it to a dealer soon.
I will get the same but only when accelerating harder than normal. If I lay off the gas a bit all is fine. It seems to me to be a combination of the wheels lifting off the ground when accelerating over bumps, tracktion control engaging and then the wheel resurfaces. I could be totally wrong on that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thats interesting I will try to find the right kinda bumps, turn off the traction control and see if it makes a difference.

It seems like something is being caught in mid rebound if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
126 Posts
rwartner said:
Thats interesting I will try to find the right kinda bumps, turn off the traction control and see if it makes a difference.

It seems like something is being caught in mid rebound if that makes any sense.
i'll give it a whirl. there's an intersection i go through frequently that it seems to happen quite often.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
BlackPony said:
My drivers side mid exhaust pipe going over the stabilizing bar hits once and awhile! The dealership put a piece of rubber on the stabilizing bar tell they find out what Ford is going to do.
The opposite side pipe has a flat in it to help it clear the bar . The driver side is round and it doesn't clear the stabilizing bar.

I hear an occasional clunk too going over speed bumps or other bumps hard. It does sound like an exhaust pipe banging against something.

·
Registered
126 Posts
darcyb62 said:
i'll give it a whirl. there's an intersection i go through frequently that it seems to happen quite often.
I gave it a whirl this morning and if I turn traction control off, it doesn't clunk while accelerating through bumps. I'll give it a couple of more tries but that might be it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.