Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We noticed that as we get more miles on Bullette (3100 now) it seems that the exhaust has gotten more mellow. Don't get me wrong, it still sounds thunderous (good adjective)!!!!

We went to our monthly Mustang meeting tonight and I just love to go out to the parking lot and watch everyone leave and hear the sounds of the exhausts. The Cobras really do have a mean exhaust sound too!

By the way, we spanked a Talon on the way to the meeting! Punk kid was driving it! We showed him! :lol:

:bullitt:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Yes, I've noticed that also. It seems the exhaust note is not as loud anymore, but it still has the same tone to it. I think the mufflers have broken in. Same thing happened when I dualed out my V6 with MagnaFlow's. Initially, it had a very agressive loud sound. After a month, the note was still there, just not as loud.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
wow, this is VERY confusing to me!!
i have been letting my revs get pretty high in the RPM's BEFORE i shift a lot AND i've been downshifting like a man posessed and my Bullitt seems to be getting even louder now that i'm running it harder!!!
i'm confused?
i've always thought that as i broke ANY of my GT's in that lots of high revs and lots of downshifting help "loosen" a mufflers inards and make it louder????
who's an expert here??

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mustang99: The mufflers seem to be just as loud, just stronger sounding. Mellow as in smooth. I think we got confused here. Sorry....

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Well possibly as a layer of carbon builds up in the mufflers and pipes,it could lose some of it's high freq.sound level. But anyway,don't gut out the cats,as that will make the sound DBs go up BUT at a loss of power! I found that out.....factory cat H-pipe back on and power back!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I noticed the problem with bass amplifiers while playing in my band. It seemed that every time I got a bigger and louder stack, after a while I needed a bigger one! I think it's a perceptual thing. Now I run two stacks and it still isn't loud enough!

·
Registered
252 Posts
1NastyFordGT, yeah, it was me that took my mufflers completely off. It seems to me that most of the backpressure in the system is held up in the cats. I did notice a little bit of a loss of backpressure but I can still bark in 2nd and 3rd shifts. Maybe this is the cologne effect. You get a new colgne and it is all you can smell for days. Then you get used to it and it goes away. Maybe that is the story with the exhaust tone.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
The problem is the super/snooper computer can detect the cats. are not doing the job,and reacts by pullingx some timing out. Eliminating the mufflers should cause a problem.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Why would the computer have any idea the mufflers were missing. The mufflers have nothing to do with emissions or the tune of the engine. The only useful function mufflers provide is a little bit of back pressure and a reduction of noise. If this would make a difference in the computer and the timing on your car wouldn't every major aftermarket cat back exhaust producer sell a custom chip with their kits or suggest them as an accompanying item.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Speaking of exhaust note, I got this email from a co-worker as I came back from lunch. Keep in mind that this co-worker was in their cube, on the 3rd floor, about 30-40 yards from where the car is parked:

<PRE>Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 11:50:32 -0400 (EDT)
To: michaela
Subject: Sounds good

That Mustang sounds good, even from in here. :wink:

</PRE>

:-B

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
hmm, mike i LIKE her attitude!!!! a woman who likes sweet sounding Mustangs!!
married? good looking? ROFL

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-07-06 12:33, mystang99 wrote:
hmm, mike i LIKE her attitude!!!! a woman who likes sweet sounding Mustangs!!
married? good looking? ROFL

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

She's married, and drives a Taurus SHO (takes it to Tracktime also :smile:

BIGTIME motorhead. :smile:

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
The simple answer is that pretty much our intake and exhaust is matched together. Making large changes on one side of the engine and not the other is going to disrupt the balance. Also taking the mufflers off just negated the effects of the H pipe and is now allowing the individual pulses to be felt by each cylinder bank. It would be ok if the intake side is also modified for it.

As far as the sweet sound being heard in the office, The Bullitt is pretty much responsible for not allowing me to sneak out of work early. EVERYBODY knows when I leave now.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Once again though I fail to see the problem this would cause. Like I said. I feel very little change in the performance of my car. In fact it feels a bit stronger to me. I can still bark on shifts to second and third no problem. The H pipe serves 2 functions. 1. to even out the exhaust gasses between the two banks of cylinders and 2. to perform somewhat of a scavenging effect to help pull the exhaust gasses out. My question is why would taking 2 identical mufflers out AFTER the H pipe effect the flow other than releasing a little back pressure and still flowing evenly with no restriction? Or was one muffler more restrictive than the other? Also, why would it make a difference in the timing of the car? Seems to me that the O2 sensers are what determines the emissions of the car and those only pull the timing if they sense a non functioning catalytic converter. These O2 sensers are WAY up the exhaust. Makes no difference to me as I intend to clean out the intake soon anyway. But still I would like this explained a little better. Someone with some real exhaust experience please explain the benefits and detriments of this. Thanks to mid life crisis for your brief explanation. I just need a bit more technical info to satisfy me that I may have done something that resulted in a loss. It doesn't seem to add up to me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lok N Lod on 2001-07-06 14:12 ]</font>

·
Registered
252 Posts
Unfortunately I haven't been living in this area long enough to even begin to know where to look. I do, however know the shortest path to a dyno and right now the only thing I have to take into account is the exhaust and the densecharger system. As far as the densecharger goes it is an easy swap back to original airbox and paper filter. Maybe Blakwing knows the way to a 1/4 track?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts