Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Sanford and Son had a Mercury truck, didn't they? Not like that, though. I see the Maple leaf on the side, must be Canadian.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I actually saw one at a car show at a small town near Tallahassee. I think it was an older model than the one in your picture. This one I saw was make in Canada.

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
Local car show held by a local cruiser club about a month ago. It was a Canadian version of the 1948 F-1. Very nice daily driver restoration. Probably on par with the quality of build and finish the truck had when it left the factory. And, yes it had air added, using a Nippondenso compressor. And the owner claimed to drive it about once per week. It was sitting next to a Citroen Traction Avant.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Looks like an old F100. I love those trucks. I see them all the time here in florida driving around. There is a weekly car meet at the local sonic (literally around the corner from my place) and a weekly meet at OLD TOWN, classic cars only 1973 and older.

·
Premium Member
7,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some insight:

As a point of history, Ford was in business in Windsor, Ontario by 1904, a year after the Ford Motor Co. was founded on the other side of the Detroit River.

The Meteor, Monarch cars and Mercury trucks first appeared in April, 1946 because of Ford of Canada's postwar marketing strategy. More lower-priced cars were sold in Canada than in the United States because of the slightly lower standard of living, not to mention whopping sales and excise taxes that added almost 20 percent to the sticker prices across the border.

To give the Canadian Lincoln-Mercury dealers a broader range of cars that reached into the low-price market, they sold the Meteor, a Mercury-ized Ford. To counter any sales advantage from Lincoln-Mercury dealers' broader range, Ford dealers got the upscale Monarch, a Mercury clone. Because smaller Canadian towns had either a Ford-Monarch or Lincoln-Mercury-Meteor dealer, but not both, the L-M-M network got the Mercury truck.

This setup was not unique to Ford. Pontiac dealers in Canada sold lower-priced Pontiacs that were essentially Chevrolets with Pontiac styling features. Canadian Dodge-DeSoto dealers offered a Plymouth based Dodge model and Chrysler-Plymouth dealers sold Fargo trucks that followed the cloning philosophy of the Ford-built Mercury trucks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts