Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got all my MGW interior parts yesterday. They look great including personalized shifter. Everything went on smoothly except the $()*& headlight switch. Can someone redirect to the forum that gave the secret away for installation. Sorry this is redundunt..

·
Registered
153 Posts
Bullitt#5331,I tried to use a screwdriver,bent nail and various other tools that I have. The one that worked the best was a straight snap-on pick tool that I have. It looks like a small icepick. I turned the headlight knob so that I could sit in the drivers seat,while doing this,there is a small cutout in the knob.Turn the knob so that the cutout is as close to the top as possible. I just stuck the pick tool in the knob cutout so that it contacted the little spring clip that holds the knob on and pryed the clip while pulling easily on the headlight knob. It only took 3 tries(maybe I got lucky)to get the knob off. I was really suprised because everything I read said that it was a real bitch to get this knob off. Oh, by the way use something to cover around the headlight knob, I used a lot of black foam with a sticky backing on it,because if you don't and the tool slips it will scratch your dash panel. Hope this helps you some. BlackBullitt#1768

·
Registered
83 Posts
Or...do what I did. I got so p*ssed that I could not get this damn thing off (sweating "bullitts" in my Arizona garage that was about 120 degrees) that I took a small pair of dykes and just started nibbling at the knob and chewed it off. I figure if I ever want to return to pure stock interior I just have to get a new plastic knob.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Or you could use "My Favorite" Harley tool(10 pound sledgehammer)BlackBullitt#1768

·
Registered
821 Posts
I just got all my trim pieces today! They do look very nice and can't wait to get them in. Only, I just read about the trouble with the headlight switch and am dreading that.....I'll be checking back to see if the link was posted with better instructions for installation!

:smile:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Dona, Don't freak out over it. Its really not that hard to do. Just remember to protect the dash around the headlight knob. BlackBullitt#1768

·
Registered
821 Posts
OK, promise I won't freak out...but am I going to have this much trouble getting the original switch out????

:smile:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I used a small blade screwdriver. Just stuck it in the slot on the switch shaft and pulled it toward me at the same time pulling back on the knob. Came right off.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
hell, i ended up tearing the s**t out of the stock headlight switch to get it off. had to throw it away
i love the way MGW's headlight switch and AC knobs look!!!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
You all had me pretty panicked about removing my headlight switch.

It is SUPER easy if you know ahead of time what you are trying to do. All you need is to turn the lights on, rotate the knob until you can see the slot on the shaft of the knob, get a regular size standard screw driver, stick it into the slot towards the dashboard and along side the steel clip that you will see inside the slot, push the steel clip using very light pressure with the screw driver towards you and in the same direction and at the same time you are pulling the headlight knob...and viola!

Nothing to remove other than the knob. All you are doing is unloading maybe 2 pounds of tension on the clip.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BC on 2001-10-19 18:13 ]</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts