Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

MGW vs Tri Ax Short Throw Shifters

4K views 64 replies 33 participants last post by  Dustinlatra08 
#1 ·
Just filling out my X-mas list for Santa and I can't decide between a MGW STS and a Tri Ax STS.

Anyone have the MGW that can provide some feedback?

I haven't heard anyone bad mouth the Tri Ax, but the MGW looks real appealing to me. My only concern with the MGW is that other aftermarket handles won't work on it. With the Tri Ax, I can use any of the 2 hole handles if I want to.

HELP!!! :confused:

#3 ·
How much do you want to spend? I was able to buy my Tri-Ax for $100 new so that made a big difference to me. It's a little notchy but that's ok. I can feel exactly where it is in every shift.

Tri-AX will also accept a Hurst handle if I'm not mistaken. Food for thought.

Based on comments I've seen regarding the MGW, it's a greta shifter.

#5 ·
My nephew just put the MGW on his Bullitt. He said it's the best shifter he has ever had, and he's had them all.

#8 ·
Hmmmm I was just before ordering a Tri-ax from Steeda.

So Charles...where did you get it for $100.00?

Can someone post up a link to the MGW? Maybe this is what I should be looking into..

#9 ·
only thing about the MGW is you are confined to their stick as it does not mount like any of the others. So if you want to change the stick to a certain one, you can't.

#10 ·
i drove my bullitt with the mgw and with the triax...Hands down the triax over the mgw. i have yet to miss a gear with the triax and ive made well over 100passes this year

#11 ·
I hate restrictions.... Think I'll just stick with the Tri-ax. I've heard nothing but good things about it for the most part.

#14 ·
I was thinking my Wife was getting me one for Christmas but I'm not sure anymore... Think I'll slip her the link to this thread. :lol::lol::lol:

#16 ·
i have had the mgw in for about 2k miles now. i have only love for my mgw. it was very tight when new, and now it has loosened up a bit. still precise, just looser. craftsmanship is top notch. install was a breeze. i kept my bullitt shifter knob as it threaded right up no problems. i'd choose the mgw again in a heartbeat.

#18 ·
I have had my MGW for 2 years and love it. I have not missed a gear and it still feels nice and tight.

#19 ·
I've had the MGW for one summer, and love it!

#20 ·
Darn, I guess I asked for your opinions, and I got them.
Now I'm really not sure what to get. Some seem to really like the MGW and others not so much so. I have not heard many negative comments about the Tri Ax, so I guess I would like it as an upgrade to my stock shifter. However, if the MGW is better, that is what I want.

I guess I'm now leaning toward the Tri Ax as a conservative choice. It would also allow me to use other handles to find one I like for appearance and position.

Any others want to chime in to help me decide???

#21 ·
I have the tri-ax and like it alot. Never tried the MGW so can't tell you any comparisons.

The tri-ax will work with just about any shift knob. But I tried a Bullitt knob on my tri-ax and it won't line up properly. Maybe I got a defective one.

#22 ·
steelfalcon29 said:
Hmmmm I was just before ordering a Tri-ax from Steeda.

So Charles...where did you get it for $100.00?

Can someone post up a link to the MGW? Maybe this is what I should be looking into..
Buck,

I bought the Roush shifter (it's a Tri-Ax) on Ebay. It was brand new and in a sealed box. It has the Steeda handle but no knob. The Bullitt knob fit (12mm I believe).

#25 ·
I was in your shoes about a year ago, I had found a local member on hear selling a slightly used triax for $75 bucks. needless to say I went with the triax and don't regret it. Either one is 100X's better than stock so you cant go wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.