Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never done any exhaust work, but I've got access to a shop and a good mechanic. I just ordered the MAC O/R H-Pipe and 3.5" MRT rolled tips.

I've read that I should pick up a new gasket for the passenger side and pick up some new studs in case the stock ones snap off.

Can I get some help from those that have done this work before?
Part #'s for gasket and studs?
Anything else a noob should know before attacking this job?

Thanks!

·
Registered
269 Posts
folky15 said:
I've never done any exhaust work, but I've got access to a shop and a good mechanic. I just ordered the MAC O/R H-Pipe and 3.5" MRT rolled tips.

I've read that I should pick up a new gasket for the passenger side and pick up some new studs in case the stock ones snap off.

Can I get some help from those that have done this work before?
Part #'s for gasket and studs?
Anything else a noob should know before attacking this job?

Thanks!
I just did this over the weekend:
http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142014

Here are some pointers:

1. There should be a passenger side exhaust manifold gasket included from MAC
2. You'll need to spray WD-40 or Tri-Flow on each of the manifold nuts in order to aviod breaking a stud and/or frustration
3. You'll need a 1/2 drive swivel, a medium length 15mm deep socket (about 1.5" long), some 1/2 drive extensions, and a deep socket 15mm to be able to get the drivers side and rest of the collector nuts off; this side is particularly hard and you will have to work at it for awhile if they are as stubborn as mine were
4. Make sure you have MIL eliminators for the rear two O2 sensors otherwise an SES light will come on
5. The replacement nuts from mac are 7/16 in size (I had to go to Autozone to pick up more, not enough included) and uses a 11/16 socket to tighten
6. For an easy install, leave the pipe disassembled (comes in 3 different pieces) and install the downpipes before the actual h-pipe
7. Make sure you tighten all of the nuts down really good or else you will have exhaust leaks
8. Also I had to leave the front two O2 sensors in the stock pipe until removal (i just unplugged them) because I couldn't get a wrench in that tight of a space
9. Make sure you get the sensors plugged back in correctly; push until you hear them click (I failed to do this and resulted in great frustration lol)
10. Enjoy your new exhaust

Hope your intall goes flawless and these pointers help you out! Good luck

·
Registered
141 Posts
They're not too hard to do, and will be much easier with a hoist and especially a good mechanic. The easiest way I've found is to try loosening with hand tools (above mentioned), if you can't loosen it and the shop has torches, get them out and heat the fasteners, whenever I remove a pipe, the gasket usually sticks to the manifold and can be re-used, but if you have a new one, use it. It's pretty straight forward otherwise, just make sure you unplug the 02 sensors befor you try and lower the pipe to avoid damage to them and change over the 02s before installing the new pipe, it's easier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts