Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the most part the comments in public are positive. The same goes for the track. You get a few people who say they wouldn't spend $3600 for 5 more horsepower, but I don't usually worry about explaining to them what you really get. It's not worth it and it's their opinion.

Last night though, I ran into a guy that I have met a couple times. He is pretty good friends with my buddy that was with me at the track. The guy has been bracket racing for about 12 years and I respect that. He started with a V6 powered Baby LTD and moved up to a somewhat built 302 in the same car. As a matter of fact I gave him a lead on parts when he was putting the V8 in the car. One of my good friends, I believe, sold him a rearend for it and other parts. Hey, I'll help out people I don't even really know :smile: He obviously didn't remember me, which is typical of alot of people you help out.

Well, I overheard a comment he made to my buddy at the track. "That turd weighs 3900 pounds." I thought to myself, Oh, you're the f'ing authority? This is courtesy of MM&FF people. They did everything they could to badmouth this car, and it seems to have reached the everyone. It really p*ssed me off :mad: I'm not sure if I was more p*ssed at him or MM&FF. I thought about saying something, but it simply isn't worth lowering yourself to argue with the ignorant population, they will beat you with experience.

Thanks again to the worthless piece of $h!t MM&FF for printing garbage :mad:

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
If we go by the 3900 lbs and add a driver and then run the quarter in the neighborhood of 13.7 then that must mean we have close to 320 HP. WOW thanks for extra horses I love mods like this.

I guess they could not justify lieing about the HP so they just lied about the weight ...

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm not even too worried about people who actually think the bullitt weighs 3900lbs. Cause simple logic tells you it doesn't.

Start with a stock GT, maybe 3300 on the outset, bolt on a new intake, cobra brakes, and subframe connectors. what does that increase the weight by, like 50 lbs maybe? Then subtract the spoiler weight, and the big rocker panel weight, and the big side scoop weight. so then you're losing 20-30 lbs. So the Bullitt is MAYBE 20-30 lbs heavier.

I'd just like to know where these people who believe MM&FF think all that weight comes from? I personally take everything I read with a grain of salt, and have no problem saying that even the most respected publication is full of sh*t. Like Road and Track the other day, i was reading how the 2002 Mustang GTs were going to have the hood scoop that was started with the Bullitt. Hello, the hood scoop was already on the 2001. Now I respect R&T, they're probably the best general car mag out there, but in that case, they just screwed up.

So whenever someone repeats something they read in a magazine that is so obviously defeated by logic, just take it as a sign that the person you're talking to has nothing going on inside his/her head.

And if that doesn't work, tell the boneheads to pick up the November 2001 issue of MM&FF where they admitted they were dead wrong about the weight. The estimated that the Bullitt with driver and fuel would weight around 3500. Figure 180 for the driver, 50 for fuel, and that's 3270 lbs. Right around what is quoted by Ford. Ok, i'm done ranting.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess the part that got me was not the 3900 pound part, it was when he added turd to it. My friend tried to tell me the guy didn't mean anything by it, but I don't think turd is an endearing comment, no matter how it's said.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hey, if our car did weight 3900 lbs as opposed to the GT's 3300, i think it would be a turd. You have to view the insult in context.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hi All,

Just a side note...I am wondering now that in 2002 with the demise of the Camero which car MM&FF will start supporting. Maybe they will start telling us how great the VW Bug is compared the the failed mustangs :smile: Seriously though, I too get a little tired of MM&FF seemingly being anti-mustang in a lot of respect. My money has started to shift to 5.0 rather than MM&FF. I don't mean that MM&FF can't be honest about their feelings..but you also have to remember, when speaking to the choir, you don't tell them that God is devil, and the guy next door is better than they are. Just a matter of opinion, but for loyal supporters of the Ford Stang, you must temper your criticism somewhat or lose followers as they did with me. Hopefully I am not the only one out here that feels this way. I will look forward to seeing what all of you have to say about the issue as well.

Semper Fi.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I read a lot of the mags, and believe what most have to say. But, I DON'T believe my "turd" weighs 3900 lbs. I'm glad at least the mags are writing about the Bullitt. Anyway, to FORD, "thanks for building my 'turd,' I love it!"

Richard

·
Registered
225 Posts
Gibscreen, the 01 GT didn't have our hood scoop, that scoop is formed into the hood, whereas ours is a bolt-on.Looked at a 02 GT just yesterday and it did have our scoopand that was the only difference I could see between it and the 01 satting next to it.
Now it would be interesting if MM&FF could dyno a Bullitt and a GT and then compare the two.Some of the guys on here dynoed theirs' right after we started getting them this spring and the Bullitt made more HP than what Ford said.We are loseing about 18% of it to the rear wheels, but it still puts a Smile on my face.:grin::

·
Registered
835 Posts
The 01 GTs came in 2 variations, standard and premium. The Bullitt and the Premium share the same hood scoop. BTW, it's the Premium that has the 260 HP engine, and also has the Bullitt rims as an option. The standard had a lesser rated 4.6L.

I even read a letter to the editor in 5.0 that quoted the MM&FF 3900 figure. How anyone can be so brain dead as to think that Ford mysteriously added 700+ to a GT to get the Bullitt is beyond me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TXBullitt on 2001-10-28 15:49 ]</font>

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think MM&FF did us a real favor by spreading misinformation. I feel sorry for the boneheads who believe everything they read, and then come looking for a race... Sorry enough not to laugh as I leave their bones for the buzzards after they challenge my "turd".....

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-28 15:47, TXBullitt wrote:
BTW, it's the Premium that has the 260 HP engine, and also has the Bullitt rims as an option. The standard had a lesser rated 4.6L.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
All the GTs except for the ones with the Bullitt option came with a 260hp rated engine, not just the Premium.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Ford's WEB site listed the standard GT engine at 235 and the premium at 260 for 2001. They've dropped the lower rated variation for 2002.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I've never seen that rating. But if that's the case then the Mustang buyers that opted not to buy the Premium version got an added bonus. Cuz they've all been dynoing around the same, standard or premium. I'll bet that it was a typo.

·
Registered
444 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-28 21:19, TXBullitt wrote:
Ford's WEB site listed the standard GT engine at 235 and the premium at 260 for 2001. They've dropped the lower rated variation for 2002.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Figures Ford would mislead people on Hp Figures :smile:

TX where are you getting your info.? There is only one Hood for the GT it's the same for the Deluxe, Premium, and Bullitt, same goes for the 2002. The Torque Thrust wheels are standard with the Premium and for 2002 Ford is offer the same wheel through the dealer in the same color or in Crome or Silver.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the hood scoop we have is the same as what was on the 69/70 BOSS 429s????

Anyone seen this article, or can confirm if this is or is not the case????

As far as publications go, you really have to understand that these people are NOT the experts. Hell if this were the case ALL systems would be running Micro$oft Operating Systems, talk about a POS OS. Marketing plays a BIG part into ANY publication. One may never know the intentions in publishing garbage, but the majority of the public are too lazy or uninformed to find the truth and will settle for what is in print.

Unfortunately, it takes the minority (us Bullitt owners, etc) to try and correct the injustices in print.

Just my $0.02 worth....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: donwil on 2001-10-29 09:18 ]</font>

1 - 20 of 26 Posts