vehicle fishtailed 90 degress to the left then 90 degress to the right and then
straightened his car out and continued forward. My son states that did not
happen and we find it hard to believe that this vehicle which is a 5 speed
could even due that from a dead stop. So this is why we need someone that could
provide us with their professional knowledge about the car and the
possibility of this happening the way the officer claims. Thanks for any
contacts you might be able to provide to help us with this... (704) 890-4788

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This car has the power to do that. However, you would probably have to turn the wheel significantly to get it to turn like that and then turn it back and over correct to get it to come back the other way. If your son does not have experience driving a rear wheel drive car with that much torque, he would most likely have spun out of control if he had turned the wheel like that. Otherwise, he definately would have spun the tires, but only if the traction control had been turned off. If it was on, they would spin, but only moderately and then power would have been cut until traction was regained. If the traction control was off, the tires would have spun, but he most likely would have gone in a straight line, not side to side. It sounds like the officer exaggerated what happened. Until your son has gained experience with this car, do not let him turn the traction control off. With it off accelerating aggressivley around a turn in second gear could very easily spin out of control. The traction control will HELP save him from himself until he really learns the cars capabilities. Best place to practice, mall parking lots at night. I used to do that when I was young to learn when the car would break lose, how far would it go, what happens if you slam on the brakes in a turn etc. You should get many more responses to this from other people on this site with LOTS of experience doing just those things in this car.

·
Registered
354 Posts
like jmag said these cars definatly have the power to "fishtail" even from a dead stop. he would have had to have punched it in high rpm's and then dumped the clutch, but to go 90 deg back and fourth would have had to take some skill and knowladge of how the car handles to keep it out of a ditch. but it is possible. these cars have more power then people give them credit for. i have rebuild pics the prove that..:D

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
latemodel said:
Hello.. My name is Lisa.. I was wondering if any of you might be able to
assist me with locating someone that has extensive knowledge of the mustang
bullitt performance? We had purchased a Bullitt for our son and he took it out
for the second time and was at a traffic light (he was still learning how to
drive stick shift car ) and when the light turned green he stalled the car and
got nervous and afraid of rolling back into the vehicle behind him he started
the car back up and the car took off and the wheels smoked a bit. However, a
police officer accussed him of reckless operation claiming that my son's
vehicle fishtailed 90 degress to the left then 90 degress to the right and then
straightened his car out and continued forward. My son states that did not
happen and we find it hard to believe that this vehicle which is a 5 speed
could even due that from a dead stop. So this is why we need someone that could
provide us with their professional knowledge about the car and the
possibility of this happening the way the officer claims. Thanks for any
contacts you might be able to provide to help us with this... (704) 890-4788

I assume you're needing this information for court purposes. Could the car do this? Yes. Could your son, new to a stick do this? No. Could your son kick the car sideways? Yes, very easily. But I doubt he could control 90* one way then the other without totalling the car.

The officer is probably exaggerating cause he is a young driver or your son made enough noise and smoke for it look like he was whipping it around.

Very similar thing happened to me shortly after I got my Bullitt. I had never driven a stick before the Bullitt and a week after getting it, limited driving time to this point, I took it out on my own.

I came to a stop light on a slight incline. Afraid of rolling back, I tried to get going to fast. Too much gas, dumped the clutch too soon. I spun the tires off the light for a noticable distance, and an officer was traveling the opposite direction. He pulled a U-turn and pulle me over right away. He asked me why I spun the tires, and I replied I had just gotten the car and was new to manual transmissions. He saw the temp tag in the rear and chuckled and said, "I thought you were screwing around and trying to do something stupid in front of a cop. Alright, have a good night. Be careful." He chuckled and returned to his car.

If you're asking about this for court purposes, go with your son to court. Consider hiring a lawyer. If the date of the accident is close to date of purchase, bring your sales receipt or application for license plates and show the judge. Explain to him your son is new to a stick. Take pictures of the intersection showing the incline and explain he was simply trying to avoid rolling backwards.

It's hard to get reckless endangerment or wreckless driving tickets reduced, but the judge may be convinced if you can reasonably prove the car and stick shift was new to your son.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
The key here is the traction control button. Most experienced Bullittheads still forget to turn off the TC now and then, otherwise you could be embarrassed at the next red light. I don't think that a novice driver new to stick shifting and with TC on, could fishtail a car 90 degrees one way, and then 90 the other (maybe more like 20 degrees). With TC on, the car would lose power and most likely stall.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
SmokinBullitt said:
The key here is the traction control button. Most experienced Bullittheads still forget to turn off the TC now and then, otherwise you could be embarrassed at the next red light. I don't think that a novice driver new to stick shifting and with TC on, could fishtail a car 90 degrees one way, and then 90 the other (maybe more like 20 degrees). With TC on, the car would lose power and most likely stall.
Maybe that is what happened in the first place? Then he turned the TC off and hit it? Either way, I cannot see him fishtailing 90° and being able to recover from it without hitting someone or some thing. So, it comes down to what the Kid says and what the Police Officer Says.

There is no way to know what the Kid actually did. He is in trouble now with his Parents and the Law, he will say/do anything to get out of it if he can. Do not give him the benefit of the doubt over an experienced Police Officer. I can tell you that the Judge will not. (even if the degrees is inaccurate).

To answer the lady's initial question: The Stock Bullitt is capable of burning rubber and fishtailing all the way thru 1st gear if handled correctly and will again chirp rubber in 2nd gear. It is a very powerful V8 engine designed for thrills!
Check out this video for an example of the power of a Bullitt.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrMeJ3qnjlw

I was young once and I know EXACTLY what the Kid is going through. I also know what he may or may not have done. But you will never really know what happened.

Bottom line is you should not have bought the Kid such a powerful car with a transmission that he is not used to driving (or maybe he is?). Pay the fine, sell the car and get him a economy 4 cyl car that will be good on gas and get him around. He can still get into trouble with that if he is inclined too.....but he would not be as noticable as he is in the Bullitt.

Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
330 Posts
This is what happens when you buy a teenaged boy a BULLITT!!! I wish I was that lucky when I was young!!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I was 17 and had a 64 1/2 poppy red Mustang with a 260 & 3 speed. It was just enough to get me in trouble with the Local Police! I was lucky to have it, but wanted more! I asked my Dad to help me buy (I was working) a Shelby GT350! My Dad talked to the Dealer Salesman about the car and he was told that it was not a car for a 17 year old! So, I never got it.

So, I got ****ed off and joined the Navy! Went to Vietnam for two tours and then got out the day before my 21st birthday. I ordered a brand new 1969 Mach 1 with the 351 and auto from the Army/Air Force Exchange before I left Vietnam. It was waiting in Dallas at a local dealership when I returned home.

I ended up getting into trouble with the Police with that car as well! Anyway, as much as I hate to say it, young people and powerful Mustangs do not mix well.

If it means anything,.......I am 59 now and own a Supercharged Bullitt. Unfortunately, I anticipate having a few problems with this car and the Police as well. Difference is, I can afford to pay the consequences.

·
Registered
467 Posts
With traction control on a default (you must push the button to turn it off)it is impossible to spin the tires enough to smoke them. I know I tried to do a burnout at the track. This is embaressing. The more gas you give the car the more it shuts down. Even if the T/C was shut down He would have a difficult time doing 90 degree burnouts. Only if he was turning could he do this. The Bullitt suspension wants to make the car straight. So something in the story does not hold true. I speak from 100's of 1/4 mile drag races and doing John Force burnouts. You need a far amount of experience to accomplish 90 degrees each way. Also go to the spot and look for the tire marks
Jim

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
90 degrees to each side of centered and then not spinning the car around really is impossible almost. I could see a little fish tailing going on, but not 90 degrees to each side and then saving it. Check for tire marks, also ask if he turned the TC off. Also, dont police cruisers have cameras on the inside?

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I could see this happening, nail it from a stop, jerk the steering wheel one way and then the next with the hammer down. You can almost bet the police saw something. Been there, done that, comes to mind. The lessons of youth we all must learn.
It is easier for me to understand a young person doing this, compared to an older one.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I've done worse. But never with a cop around.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
it is possible if you know how too drive the car. its got plenty of tq. also if the ground was wet or if the was some kind of slicknes to the surface. but im not sure about it if the wheels are straight and just poping the clutch would do that. in order to get a 90' cut to either side you would have to have the steering wheel rolled to one side before taking off.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I would also like to know about the tires---brand, how many miles on them, how old they are and what is the tire pressure.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I would also suggest you and the boy's father take the Bullitt out for a drive, in a safe area stop the car, put it in first and go hammer down. You with get an idea of what could happen. Remember to keep the rpms up some so it will not die when doing this. Also is your son going to join this great Bullitt site?

·
Premium Member
6,218 Posts
I think that you could fight it. I don't know about the second time out in the car, still learning how to drive stick. I just don't know. If the officer/judge is a motorhead, you may be able to tell him about the performance of the car vs. the ability of your son's driving. If he actually did fishtail 90* right, then 90* left, didn't totally lose control and recovered? He's either a natural, very, VERY lucky (safety-wise), it just plain didn't happen, or the officer was exaggerating.

Nothing I say is to offend any of the LEO's here. My pop is a Constable with previously serving 25 years with local PD, so I have utmost respect...but on that same note, I know how they are! :)

I agree with the above, get it on film to see exactly what 90* means to the officer. Looking for tire marks now may not be realistic, but it may help.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
it is possible if you know how too drive the car. its got plenty of tq. also if the ground was wet or if the was some kind of slicknes to the surface. but im not sure about it if the wheels are straight and just poping the clutch would do that. in order to get a 90' cut to either side you would have to have the steering wheel rolled to one side before taking off.
I agree with what he said. I have personally fish tailed my Bullitt from a dead stop from the torque from the car. But there is no way that it could go 90 degrees from side to side when the wheels are streight. If anything, it would only be a few degrees tops. It didn't feel like more than 5 degrees when I did it. That was with the engine reved, clutch dropped, and the pedal to the metal!! :cool: So to say that the car fished tailed more than that with your son driving, I would find very hard to believe. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
probobly to cover more area so more people would see it.
And then never come back, or if she does, she will not remember where she posted it!!!
3 TIMES!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts