Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allstate is not playing nice in terms of my claim on my stolen car. Please read this and take it to heart if you have even a couple mods on your cars.

This "General Milligan" I am writing to is the "Florida Insurance Advocate". Writing to him is my first step in trying to get Allstate to do the right thing.

To say I am not happy with how this is turning out is an understatement. I have hidden some names and phone numbers becausxe I don't want the parties involved to get calls they don't need to get.

Dear General Milligan -

I am reaching out to you in the hopes that you can help me resolve an issue I am having with the Allstate Insurance Company. I have been an Allstate policy holder for several years. I have always paid my premiums on time (they came out of my bank account automatically) and have never had a claim to file until recently when my home was broken into. In the process of ransacking my home, the theives found the keys to my heavily modified, pristine 2001 Ford Mustang with a mere 12,000 miles. This car was literally "better than new".

Lets back up to the day after I purchased the vehicle. The prior owner had invested approximately $15,000 in aftermarket parts on the car. This includes (but not limited to) a Kenne Bell Supercharger, complete performance exhaust, performance clutch and rear-end, custom wheels and tires, and much more. I wanted to make sure that my auto insurance policy would cover me in FULL if something happened to my vehicle. Rather than make a mere phone call to my agent I physically DROVE the vehicle to him so he could see it. While my agent and I looked over the vehicle, I pointed out many of the aftermarket parts that were attached to my car and asked him point blank "What do I need to do to make sure I am covered if something happens?"

His response was as follows: "As long as the parts are permanently attached to the vehicle, you don't need to worry. You are covered in full as long as you can provide documentation that these parts were, in fact, on your vehicle at the time of the incident." My agent's name is Sean XXXXX, and his phone number is 407-737-XXXX and he has recently confirmed his recollection of this conversation with me.

Imagine my dismay when I first spoke to the insurance adjuster (Ryan XXXXX - 407-919-XXXX) that was assigned to my auto claim and he told me that I was limited to $1,000.00 in "aftermarket parts". To say I was not pleased would be quite an understatement. My first call after hanging up with my adjuster was to Mr. XXXXX. I explained the situation and he even recalled me bringing up my car to his agency and looking it over. Again, he indicated that he was under the impression that if the parts were permanently attached and documentation could be provided (receipts, pictures, etc.) then I would be covered. I then explained what my Allstate adjuster informed me of and his response was "Well, that's news to me".

The car was recovered after 4 days of being absolutely abused. I was very happy to have my car recovered, but was wary about what was going to take place regarding the damages that were incurred. Allstate did an inspection at the impound yard and came up with a dollar amount related to the cosmetic damage to the vehicle. I was more concerned with the damage that may have been incurred to the car's mechanicals - the engine, transmission, suspension, exhaust, etc. I had the car towed to a respected performance shop in Orlando (Lamotta's Performance 407-695-4549) and they looked over the vehicle and performed several tests.

The engine turned out to be undamaged, but there were several items that WERE damaged. The damaged items are as follows:
-transmission (OEM equipment)
-spindle (OEM Equipment)
- rear shocks (OEM)
- bump-steer kit (OEM)
- ehhaust header (aftermarket)
- exhaust midpipe (aftermarket)
- muffler (aftermarket)
- oil pan (aftermarket)
- 4 new tires (aftermarket)

This list is not comprehensive, but represents the majority of the items that were pointed out to me by the performance shop.

Again, I was SPECIFICALLY told by my agent (an Allstate Company representative) that these parts were covered and I had nothing to worry about.

At this point, another Allstate Adjuster physically went to Lamotta's Performance shop and examined the vehicle. His name is Charlie SXXXX (407-493-XXXX). Upon confirming that my vehicle did, in fact, incurr the damages that I detailed above, he informed me that my limit of $1,000.00 was still in place and the best that I could hope for was for a check in the amount of $1,000.00 to be issue to me to cover ALL of the damaged aftermarket parts.

I explained to him what my agent told me regarding the coverage that I THOUGHT I had. I then approached this from the angle that if the aftermarket parts were not installed on the vehicle then the OEM parts that they replaced would surely have been damaged and I should at least get copmpensated for the OEM equivalent of the aftermarket parts that were on my car. Again, he let me know that there was not a provision in my policy that would allow this to occur, because the OEM parts were NOT damaged. With that being said, I am not even entitled to my tires being replaced under provisions of this policy. These tires had approximately 5,000 miles on them prior to the car being stolen - pretty much brand new. At this point there is no tread at all left on the rear tires and the front tires are probably 80% worn. To replace the tires alone on this car will cost approximately $960.00.

When this is all said and done, I anticipate it costing me at least $3,000 to get my car back to where it was before it was stolen. This is an expense that I do not feel that I should be responsible for as my Allstate agent assurred me that I WOULD be covered if something happened. My agent does not deny making these claims to me when I brought the vehicle to him. He remembers the conversation EXACTLY as I do.

I am ONLY looking to be treated fairly by Allstate. While I understand the position they are taking, THEIR representative told my under no uncertain terms that I WOULD have coverage if something happened. I would have purchased additional coverage to cover these parts if I needed to. That was the whole point in me taking the car to my agent physically. Now that I have a auto claim, I am getting a different story, they are wanting to leave the responsibility of fixing my car back to it's "pre-incident" condition to me. This is simply not acceptable.

I am looking for any assistance this office can provide to me in terms of getting my claim handled in a fair manner. That is all I am looking for. I would feel differently if I was given the option and chose NOT to cover the aftermarket parts. That would have been a decision that I made, a risk that I took. The fact that the Allstate agent gave me absolutely incorrect information regarding what my policy covers when I posed this specific question to him makes me believe that the Allstate Insurance Company DOES have some responsibility in getting my car back to the condition it was in prior to this incident occurring.

PLEASE help me in reaching a fair resolution to this issue.

Sincerely,

Kevin Seruga
Allstate Policy Number#941590773
Allstate Claim Number #1259897805
407-572-3716

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Typical.......
That's why I don't even play the game.....

I only have liability (Mandatory) and I take the risk on my own. Beats the hell out of trying to get anything reasonable out of the insurance company. Just not worth the headache to me!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P-51 Bullitt said:
Typical.......
That's why I don't even play the game.....

I only have liability (Mandatory) and I take the risk on my own. Beats the hell out of trying to get anything reasonable out of the insurance company. Just not worth the headache to me!
Understood, but when you ask a specific question and get a specific answer, you expect that answer to be correct when it comes from the insurance company representative.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
It is very unfortunate they are putting you through this. I have my vehicles insured through State Farm and will be contacting them immediately about this specific scenario. Thank you for posting this and good luck with the claim. It has always been my understanding if you have the receipts and can prove they were undamaged on your car prior to the incident, then you should be covered, but again I will be checking with my insurance company to verify.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
That's grounds for a beating....I have State Farm insurance on #0005-tomorrow the car will finally get a Maine inspection sticker so I can drive it (legally). The first place it's going is to have a formal appraisal done which I will submit to State Farm. What happened to you is infuriating. You relied on the word of an insurance professional and this should hace been enough. I hope you can come to an acceptable resolution, you've had enough crap to deal with already....John R..

·
Registered
152 Posts
Please explain what you mean by Your Limit is 1000.00? Do you mean your "deductable"? (i.e.the amount of damage incurred before the claim kicks in)

If thats what you mean then there is nothing you can do....we have the option of what the deductable is when we buy a policy. ($250, $500, or $1000)

I have GEICO and also have a 1000.00 deductable.
Used to have Allstate..but GEICO is $200 cheaper for the same coverage

Dave

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I understand the concept of a deductible. I chose a $500.00 deductible and have no qualms about that whatsoever.

The $1,000 limit that I refer to is the amount of aftermarket parts that they will cover.

If $5,000 worth of aftermarket parts were damaged during this incident, the most they will give me is $1,000.

Which is the complete opposite of what my agent told me when I asked him this specific question. THAT is what I have a problem with.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sounds like you're making all the right moves so far. "The General" may or may not be able to help you, though. I just don't know. But, you seem to be in a pretty good position.

The main thing that might be against you is the actual wording in your policy and/or endorsements. If Allstate's line is consistent with what is actually in your policy, you could be screwed. Legally, you might be held accountable for reading and understanding the limits of your coverage. That policy represents your contract with Allstate.

In a similar incident 20 years ago, I had a good verbal case, and my agent and adjuster were crawfishing big time. I contacted an attorney, then told my agent that I had hired a lawyer. They suddenly came around. The lawyer didn't lift a finger or even read a document, but the mere fact that I had one on board seemed to tip the scale in my direction.

So, if The General doesn't make Allstate make it right, hire a lawyer and let him call your agent.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Crap, You'd think you had been through enough crap. then the insurance people take a crap on you. that happend to me but with the Stealership. promising me one thing then when it needs to be done telling me no and having to pay for it.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Not having read your policy, I would say your agent could have given you the wrong information. If he did, you may have a battle coming. Best of luck with this. Insurance is only as good as your agent, I found this out many, many years ago.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Like myself, you can request actual replacement value for your modded car and the items on the car. State Farm priced my insurance according to the present valvue to repair and or replace all the mod items on the car. The only requirement is to have receipts of all components and work done to the car. Since I use my car as a recreational vehicle it allows them to list it as such and lowers the overall cost. If you are like me and have a multiple car line with home insurance with them it can be pretty reasonable. I believe I pay like $65/mo. for this coverage and as it stands right now it would cost approximately $50K to replace my car with purchase of another Bullitt and all the items I have on the car.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OKCBULLITT said:
Like myself, you can request actual replacement value for your modded car and the items on the car. State Farm priced my insurance according to the present valvue to repair and or replace all the mod items on the car. The only requirement is to have receipts of all components and work done to the car. Since I use my car as a recreational vehicle it allows them to list it as such and lowers the overall cost. If you are like me and have a multiple car line with home insurance with them it can be pretty reasonable. I believe I pay like $65/mo. for this coverage and as it stands right now it would cost approximately $50K to replace my car with purchase of another Bullitt and all the items I have on the car.
Definitely what I will be doing once I kick Allstate to the curb.

"You're in good hands" my ass.

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
Kevin...this sounds like a real nightmare...i know that everyone here wishes you the very best an hopes that this insurance prob can be resolved...after what you an your family have been thru...this sucks... my 2 cents...ok...

Dennis

·
Registered
181 Posts
Many years ago I was a service manager at a new car dealership, and ALLSTATE was without a doubt the "most difficult" (that's the politically correct way to describe it) insurance company to deal with.

The stupid ideas their adjusters came up with to save money on repairs became such a pain we stopped doing work for them (unless an existing customer that had bought the car from us insisted we help them).

The comment about having a good agent is valuable, but so is having a good insurance company that values your business. My wife totaled our mini-van in 1993 and my truck got rear-ended by an unlicensed illegal alien in 2002. In both cases 21st Century took really good care of us and offered absolutely fair settlements with no negotiation whatsover.

I've never shopped the business (21st Century does not have agents per se) because I know I will get what I have been paying for if and when I need it.

Wish I could say the same about my HMO, but that's for another thread!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The bottom line is that your insurance agent is probably an idiot or completely untrained or some combination of the two, which seems to be the normal status of most people today. Even though you tried to be up front and proactive you are probably going to lose this battle. The moral of the story is that if you have anything "special and expensive" on your car, in your home, or on your property, then you better have it specified in your insurance policy and be prepared to pay extra for the additional coverage. It would be kind of naive to think that if you have a $100k painting in your $200k home and you are paying an insurance premium based on the $200k home and normal contents of a $200k home that your $100k painting would be covered by a standard policy.

Sorry you are having to go through all this nonsense. May the jerks that broke into your home and stole the Bullitt die a slow, painful death.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
After market parts have to be added to the policy - at least here at AAA of Michigan. They are insured for the dollar amount you paid. Custom wheels, stereos, etc. I would have to check if parts such as a supercharger can even be covered. I'm not at work now, but I'd say no. I also know all coverage is void if you are in any type of race, fleeing police, or drag racing. You will have to sue Allstate and the agent under his errors and emissions policy. Almost all insurance policies are written in plain English and are relatively easy to understand. It' really a good idea to look over your policy at renewal to understand what's covered and what isn't.

·
Car Whisperer
20,869 Posts
Usually aftermarket parts require a rider on the policy to cover the parts installed. Many times, pictures are also taken to provide proof of the installation of the parts. Has the adjuster asked for any pics to verify the parts installed? I know you have plenty of pics so that should be no problem.

Remember, the claims adjuster's job, besides handling your claim, is to try to limit the liability of the company as much as possible. That adjuster wants to show how much he saved the company on your claim so he will fight you for the fiinal dollar amount.

You can always take your case to the Insurance commissioner's office and if you can show bad faith on their part, you will get more of a chance of getting somewhere.

If you have any attorney or a friend of any attorney, I would suugest getting them to write a letter of representation for you and let them know how serious you are about being treated fairly on this. Your attorney can take a statement from the agent to start with. At the very least try to send your agent an e-mail or a letter and try to get him to put in writing, the statement and situations you have outlined here in writing to verify what he told you from the beginning. People's memories often fail when the boss starts asking.

·
Registered
301 Posts
i once had a stereo stolen out of one of my old cars, first thing i did was call and ask if it was covered and i was told "yes sir as long as it was permanently mounted to or in the car." when the check came it didnt cover much and everyone i talked to just let me believe that everything was gonna be covered. and then when i started calling again no one knew what i was talkin about and all of a sudden things changed. well not much i could do because it was all said and done and according to article xxx of the policy i was screwed. kinda sucks but i guess that just how they work. goodluck with it though.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts