Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing a lot of search and research on these forums, and this is what I've come up with for the best mods for my car, in no particular order.

1: Gears. It's my daily driver for now, until I get more money to buy a gas saver. I hate putting miles on my car, so I'm probably gonna buy a cheap $1000 Honda Civic :p. It's just to get to and from work. Anyway, back to the gears, 3.73s or 4.10s? I love racing, so keep that in mind.
2: Exhaust. I've been told that an X-pipe would do wonders to the sound of the car, and give it roughly 10-15 HP. I'm thinking Flowmasters, but Borla sounds good too. I don't know much about cars, so if someone can recommend a better exhaust system, even if it's not an X-pipe, that'll give me more ponies, then shoot! (Simple question, can I keep the same exhaust tips? I'm pretty sure I can, but I wanna be 100% sure.)
3: CAI. But I have a question. Isn't the stock aluminum intake manifold for more torque? So if I was to get a cold air intake, I'd be forced to remove the stock aluminum intake manifold, and replace it with the CAI, but I'll get more ponies, correct? Stock = torque. CAI = HP.
4: Cams. Should I do anything to that?

Anything else you guys suggest? I'm assuming a tune is pretty much mandatory for any car if you wanna get more power out of it, but is there any downside to it? Anyway, like I said, it's my daily driver for now, but once I get my other car, I still wanna drive this car like it's meant to be driven. Also, assuming it'll always be my daily driver, what mods would you recommend then, keeping in mind I love racing? So, let me summarize.

A) If it's my daily driver, what mods should I get?
B) If I do end up getting my other car and my Bullitt becomes my baby, and I still race it, but I use it for going out and whatnot, then what mods?

When replying, if you can keep it in the A) 1: 2: 3: etc. format, it'd be greatly appreciated, that way I can see if I chose route A, what mods I should do, and if I chose route B, what mods I should do. Also, if there's an order you guys recommend to do the mods in, such as exhaust first then gears, let me know!

I wouldn't mind a supercharger or a turbocharger, but for now, that's too much money.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
1) I wouldnt go with much more gear than 3.73's on a daily, for reperence, cruising at 80 in 5th on the highway i'm just under 3k with my 3.73's, and 4.10's would be worse!

2)I reccomend Bassani for a mid-pipe, unless you like it really loud, go for SLP, and yes you can keep your tips as long as you only do a mid-pipe and not the cat-back.

3)In response to the CAI, you dont relpace the intake manifold, it removes everything before the throttle body and replaces it with better flowing piping, and a high perf. air filter. I recommend JLT for a CAI.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I just ordered a Roush CAI from Summit Racing. I was going to go with the Demolet (Densecharger?) but thought it looked more like a hodgepodge of plastic RV plumbing. At least the Roush looks "engineered." $216.00 delivered.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
1. I'd go with 4.10's if you really like racing.
2. H pipe and Flowmasters sounds great on a Mustang, personally I have an O/R X-pipe and stock catback and I think it sounds good. Thinking of changing it up some though. You can leave the tips and just weld in new mufflers, most cat backs come with new tips.
3.C&L and JLT are from what I've read the best CAI's. Probably not a whole lot of bang for the buck on a N/A car though.
4.Unless you're gonna do longtubes and have the heads ported or different heads, I would say no to the cams. Too much restriction to benefit from the new cams.

I'd recommend short throw shifter and full length subframe connectors. Lower control arms will help too. What good is the extra power if you can't get it to the ground?

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
itsabullitt said:
1. I'd go with 4.10's if you really like racing.
2. H pipe and Flowmasters sounds great on a Mustang, personally I have an O/R X-pipe and stock catback and I think it sounds good. Thinking of changing it up some though. You can leave the tips and just weld in new mufflers, most cat backs come with new tips.
3.C&L and JLT are from what I've read the best CAI's. Probably not a whole lot of bang for the buck on a N/A car though.
4.Unless you're gonna do longtubes and have the heads ported or different heads, I would say no to the cams. Too much restriction to benefit from the new cams.

I'd recommend short throw shifter and full length subframe connectors. Lower control arms will help too. What good is the extra power if you can't get it to the ground?
+1 on the short throw, i've got the MGW and I love it. With an intake and exhaust you really dont need the subframes yet, the stock Bullitt ones will be fine till you start making big power.

·
Registered
987 Posts
1)Short throw

2)Suspension

3)3.73's gears

4)Exhaust

5)whatever else u want

·
Registered
798 Posts
1. 4.10's, don't fear the gear

2. MGW short throw shifter

3. Bassani catback, the best sounding in my opinion, but expensive.

4. I have a JLT CAI and really like it, it's really up to you though.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I don't have a bullitt,but similar when comes to mods on my GT.:)
1.Depending on what transmission yours came with (either the t-45 or the tremec 3650)will also determine what rpm you are at with 4.10's.Myself and a few others have had 3.73's,then went to 4.10's and wished we never went with the 3.73's.As for the gas miliage,hasn't seemed to change,i'm not working my stang harder to get up to speed,as appose to having the stock 3.27's were you feel to be always on it to get her going to get the feel out of her.
2.either a X or H pipe are good,it's basically up to you on what you want for sound.HP,and torque will not be that much different from one to the other,....not noticable anyways.Cat backs too are basically want you want in sound.
The only difference really for the mid pipe,and cat back,is the quality.Which there is a lot of good choices out there for you.
3.CAI...What everyone else said ;)
4.Cams,lots to choose from,but you have to decide if you want to stay n/a,or get blown,reason being, cams selection for either will limit you one way or the other,then there is emissions,and then change of valve springs depending on your selection on cams.
I wouldn't be to concern on gas miliage though,unless you are planning on going really crazy with your build.
Good luck.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
You are going through the same process that I went through when I first started thinking about mods for 2679. Up until then (the first 4 years), it was bone stock. This is the order I went with:

1. MRT CAI w/K&N filer
2. MRT SS H-PIPE 99-04 W/Cats; MRT Max Thunder 304SS Catback w/Brushed Tips The tips are exact replicas of the stock tips, just wider. This sound replicates a 60's muscle car.
3. Bullitt Chrome Wheels, 18x9s on front; DD 18x10s on rear ; T1R Proxes Tires; 275/35ZR-18 (f), 295/35ZR-18s (r)
4. MRT Hood Struts; MRT Shorty Antenna
5. MRT Street Performance Springs; CC plates; adjustable control arms
6. MRT Power Shifter TR-3650
7. Sequential Tail Lights

This pic shows the wheels, tires, and exhaust tips.

Hope this helps!

I was going to install the 3.73 gears, but I am stalling for no apparent reason :grin:. I have the $$$, but life is keeping me too busy right now.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's the difference in power between a installing a cat-back and not installing one? I'm not sure how it works, but if you get a cat-back, can you still get the X-pipe? I think I've decided on 3.73s, not because I'm fearing the 4.10s, but simply because I'm not sure if I'll get enough tire traction to use them. If somebody can convince me to get 4.10s and what else I need to actually put them to good use, then go for it! I also just can't decide on what CAI to go with :(.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
If you have to drive your car at 80 MPH for miles and miles, on a regular basis, I might see going with 3.73's. If not, I see no reason for a N/A car not to go with 4.10's. I've said this before, I have never met a person who went with 4.10's who said "boy, I sure wish I had put 3.73's in." Look, if you can't control wheelspin with 4.10's, you likely won't control it with 3.73's either. If you are into drag racing, you are going to end up running drag radials anyway.

As for the CAI, I've never been able to justify spending the money on one. At the track, I just take the right headlight out :D Same goes for the cat-back. I'm not convinced I'd gain anything by changing it. If one day I just have $400 burning a hole in my pocket that can't buy something more useful, I might break down and buy one.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
01GTB said:
If you have to drive your car at 80 MPH for miles and miles, on a regular basis, I might see going with 3.73's. If not, I see no reason for a N/A car not to go with 4.10's. I've said this before, I have never met a person who went with 4.10's who said "boy, I sure wish I had put 3.73's in." Look, if you can't control wheelspin with 4.10's, you likely won't control it with 3.73's either. If you are into drag racing, you are going to end up running drag radials anyway.

As for the CAI, I've never been able to justify spending the money on one. At the track, I just take the right headlight out :D Same goes for the cat-back. I'm not convinced I'd gain anything by changing it. If one day I just have $400 burning a hole in my pocket that can't buy something more useful, I might break down and buy one.
I agree 100% .If anything,i've herd some say they could've went 4.30's,or wished they went 4.30's.:wink:

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
01GTB said:
As for the CAI, I've never been able to justify spending the money on one. At the track, I just take the right headlight out :D
My justification is the way the factory snorkel gets really nasty. No amount of cleaning seems to get it looking right. The rag I use just keeps getting black. :eek:

·
Registered
987 Posts
I say as far as gears go. I have 3.90's and I love them they r alittle bit over 3.73's but not as high as 4.10's. Only because I like to cruise on the freeway around 75-80. 4.10's just have it to high in the rpm for me.

·
Registered
937 Posts
NX wet kit 100 shot... Thats what a bone stock Bullitt needs. The most fun for the money period. Gears or no gears... exhaust or no exhaust mods ...

Nitrous is it. For the money spent on Gears and install you can go with an NX wet kit and believe me nothing compares ... best bang for your buck.

Then when you can fork over $4000 go with a supercharger or turbo with an extra grand or more.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's the only thing I'd never do to my car, a NOS kit, simply because it kills the engine faster than anything and it requires a lot of tuning. That and, what's the pride in beating someone while using NOS? It's like okay, great, you beat me, you have NOS.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Just telling you what I know. Mine is 39,000 mile stock engine and went thru 20-25 bottles of N2O no problem at a wet 100 shot. Supercharging, turbocharging or using a nitrous kit will all cause the same damage if done incorrectly. Get too greedy and you might have to go looking for a replacement motor.

Hey... just trying to tell you that for the money spent. If done correctly.. nothing will beat a nitrous kit in your Bullitt. Ride with someone who has a kit installed and see what I mean. I loved mine but finally got the money and went to the NOVI Mongoose kit from MPH.

Good luck to you be safe.... cheers

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah nothing against you and I appreciate the help, it's just the fact that beating someone in a race or even just racing on the drag for the time sheet with NOS is pretty cheap, but then again, that's just my opinion, and everybody's entitled to their own. What do you do when you're racing someone, you're losing, you run a 100 shot, win, then next race you go all motor? I just don't see the fun in winning with NOS, but NOS sounds like fun to use, I'll just never do it. Damn, that's a long sentence, haha.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts