Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm one of those guys who do like to install modifications on my cars. I did a lot when I previously owned a 1990 LX 5.0.

When I bought my 08 Bullitt, I did not intend to perform any modifications whatsoever and keep it as stock as possible for enhanced resale value after 20 to 30 years. However, the heat is brutal down here in south Central Texas so I am going to relent and tint my windows.

In the spirit of trying to keep it as stock as possible for future resale, it just occurred to me that the average set of mufflers will wear out or corrode after about 10 years. That means original equipment mufflers for this specific Bullitt in 10 to 30 years may be outrageously expensive.

So here's my logic and I'd like some constructive feedback...

I'm thinking that I could have my cake and eat it too by replacing the stock mufflers now with an after-market set of axle backs such as Magnaflow, Flowmaster, or any other brand that won't be obnoxiously loud.

Then take the original mufflers, clean and lightly coat them with WD40, and then wrap in plastic bags and store them for the long haul.

When it comes time to sell, I can include them or put them back on and voila, saved a bundle on factory OEM Bullitt mufflers and had my fun with aftermarket mufflers.

Opinions anyone?

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts!

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Keerville?

You know Mark and Polly?

Oh, interesting concept on the muffler thing.. You might be on to something :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Madpoodle said:
Keerville?

You know Mark and Polly?

Oh, interesting concept on the muffler thing.. You might be on to something :)
Check your private messages.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Unless there is something about the stock mufflers you don't like, why change them out, enjoy the '08 Bullitt experience now.

If you want to have a set of mufflers for 20 - 30 years from now but think they will be too expensive or unavailable why not buy a set of stock mufflers now and put them away instead?

·
Registered
110 Posts
My one mod was a set of pypes violator mufflers.It still sounds like a bullitt but with a deep tone,whats nice is you can drive the car normal and the exhaust note is as quiet as stock but aggressive driving is so much more fun.

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
Absolutely. No mod that I have done can't be un-done. It may take a while to put her back to stock, but I have kept all the original parts if the need arises.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it seems the modder opinion just edges out the purists. I have taken the first step in having the windows tinted - 35% sides and 15% rear. Other than the windows, any other mods I do will have to be reversible and not visible. For example, I love the wheels so I'm keeping those and not going to put any different ones on. Since it won't be visible from the outside, I may spring for a Green Filter when they come out with one for the Bullitt. I figure the green color will match the overall feel of the car.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Well, while there is no way I will mod the Bullitt to the extent I have to my 05, she has, and will continue to see mods. The Bullitt was tinted the first week we had it. The front grille, both upper and lower have already been replaced. The interior has already received power plug, cup holder, and AC / headlight knobs....The smoked corner lights are sitting on the kitchen table, along with the stealth bulbs...shorty antenna is on.....plenum cover has already been added...And, I am already reading and re-reading the instructions for the install of SHR louvers...

Point being, we are going to enjoy the car now....Can all of the above listed mods be reversed? Yes, in a matter of a couple of hours....That said, the Bullitt is my wife's daily driver. It will be done in a tasteful manner, the way Karen wants it to look, stock, or otherwise....Gotta live for the moment.....

Mike

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I guess some consider tint a 'mod'

I generally see 'mod' more as something that is drastic and not easily reversible.
But then again I also think, as probably most here do, that to change so much, even easily reversible pieces, that the Bullitt could be any other modded Mustang in appearance, is maybe drastic too.

I realise some people buy the Bullitt just because of it's composition, not because it's a Bullitt, and that's OK as well. It's a great car as kitted from the factory and a ready platform for someone who wants to mod a Mustang.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Wow I never thought about where my Bullit will be in 20-30 years.
Granted the few mods I plan on making will be reversible... keeping original parts, etc.
I plan on keeping the car as long as possible but haven't really considered the long term worth/value.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
cwebb said:
Wow I never thought about where my Bullit will be in 20-30 years.
Granted the few mods I plan on making will be reversible... keeping original parts, etc.
I plan on keeping the car as long as possible but haven't really considered the long term worth/value.
As I said, don't worry about the next owner.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts