Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was flipping through the Feb. issue of Modified Mustangs and saw the famous pic of the '01 in mid-air and decided to read why. It was in the Joe's Garage section at the front, he was replying to a reader asking if he should buy a Bullitt and if it would appreciate in value. Joe DaSilva replies with this:
"As far as the Bullitt, it's the one that is defintitely going to be a collector car. If you can afford to buy the Bullitt, do it, as it is the one most likely to appreciate in value because of what it is - a limilted production car with unique features. As far as the '89........(goes on about another car)........ I probably wouldn't tough the Bullitt, but we do have customers who have modified them, but if you do I suggest you stick strictly to bolt-ons and keep all the original parts and make sure the Bullitt is green, it's the only colour for them as far as I'm concerned."
I just thought this was offensive to the non-green owners, I know many of them feel the same, but it's still a Bullitt, just a less-common colour. Regardless, this offended me, I'm sending an e-mail to express my concern to them about this, if it's his opinion, he should not put it print in a Magazine, which can offend many. Anyone else, or is it just me that feels this way?

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Ponyryd said:
I was flipping through the Feb. issue of Modified Mustangs and saw the famous pic of the '01 in mid-air and decided to read why. It was in the Joe's Garage section at the front, he was replying to a reader asking if he should buy a Bullitt and if it would appreciate in value. Joe DaSilva replies with this:
"As far as the Bullitt, it's the one that is defintitely going to be a collector car. If you can afford to buy the Bullitt, do it, as it is the one most likely to appreciate in value because of what it is - a limilted production car with unique features. As far as the '89........(goes on about another car)........ I probably wouldn't tough the Bullitt, but we do have customers who have modified them, but if you do I suggest you stick strictly to bolt-ons and keep all the original parts and make sure the Bullitt is green, it's the only colour for them as far as I'm concerned."
I just thought this was offensive to the non-green owners, I know many of them feel the same, but it's still a Bullitt, just a less-common colour. Regardless, this offended me, I'm sending an e-mail to express my concern to them about this, if it's his opinion, he should not put it print in a Magazine, which can offend many. Anyone else, or is it just me that feels this way?
What exactly offended you. Joe DaSilva is a very respected person. and again what exactly offended you.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
And if its the color issue. let it go, he likes the green and as far as a true BULLITT i agree that DHG is teh only way to go. thats why im not worried about doing mods to mine(black), it is still a bullitt, but not a true 100% replica of the first, which neither is the green, but its just an opinion and you getting offended over something so minior is rediculous.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
He said that it is the only color as far as he is concerned. He is simply stating his opinion, the same way that you are here stating your opinion. Why can you have a public opinion, but he can't?

I happen to agree with him.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
5111 said:
He said that it is the only color as far as he is concerned. He is simply stating his opinion, the same way that you are here stating your opinion. Why can you have a public opinion, but he can't?

I happen to agree with him.
Yes agreed.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I guess it's just me then. It just seemed like something that should be kept his opinion and not printed for everyone to read. I know that he is well-respected person and I too have great respect for him, but it's insulting to have it printed that "green is the only colour", because if it was, why were our cars even produced? The Bullitt started in 2001, the movie car was not a Bullitt, so aren't we all driving Bullitt's regardless of the colour?

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Ponyryd said:
Well, I guess it's just me then. It just seemed like something that should be kept his opinion and not printed for everyone to read. I know that he is well-respected person and I too have great respect for him, but it's insulting to have it printed that "green is the only colour", because if it was, why were our cars even produced? The Bullitt started in 2001, the movie car was not a Bullitt, so aren't we all driving Bullitt's regardless of the colour?
He didnt say it was the only color.
he said:

"make sure the Bullitt is green, it's the only colour for them as far as I'm concerned"

he was mearly stating which cars may appreciate more in the long run. the DHG is the original color of the movie car, so wouldnt some collector want the DHG over say a black or Blue one? the black one is the color from the charger and the blue is from the VW beetle not the main car. so in reality he was doing this guy a favor.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mr.BULLITT said:
He didnt say it was the only color.
he said:

"make sure the Bullitt is green, it's the only colour for them as far as I'm concerned"

he was mearly stating which cars may appreciate more in the long run. the DHG is the original color of the movie car, so wouldnt some collector want the DHG over say a black or Blue one? the black one is the color from the charger and the blue is from the VW beetle not the main car. so in reality he was doing this guy a favor.
I know he said it's his opinion, but someone's opinion means a lot more when it's printed in a heavily circulated magazine than if he just tells me or you. Really no-one knows what would be worth more in the future, to me a Black or Blue car is worth more because of their limited production when compared to the Green, only time will tell. That's why it took me so long to find a Bullitt, I was mostly looking for a Blue or Black unless a Green came along that was mint and reasonably priced, which didn't happen.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
He is just restating what most members of Team Mustang have publicly stated in the past: All 5288 should have been green. The marketing dept. won out and smaller numbers of the black and blue were produced. Since the movie car was green he feels there is more of a connection with the movie by purchasing a green car. Just like the editorial page in the newspaper. You may not agree but everyone is entitled to voice their opinion.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
He is just restating what most members of Team Mustang have publicly stated in the past: All 5288 should have been green. The marketing dept. won out and smaller numbers of the black and blue were produced. Since the movie car was green he feels there is more of a connection with the movie by purchasing a green car. Just like the editorial page in the newspaper. You may not agree but everyone is entitled to voice their opinion.
Exactly what i was trying to say. a collector would want to build an original 68' fasback and have a pristine stock DHG 2001 to sit besides it. just because a car is built in limited #s doesnt make it a collector or more valuable.

·
3,389 Posts
Damn Canadians!! LOL

I was starting to have my doubts about Joe, but now that he has redeemed himself with the colour issue, he's back in my good books!

.....it was once said that "God meant for all Bullitts to be DHG"

:lol: I love the colour debates!

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
TOYS-R-ME! said:
Damn Canadians!! LOL

I was starting to have my doubts about Joe, but now that he has redeemed himself with the colour issue, he's back in my good books!

.....it was once said that "God meant for all Bullitts to be DHG"

:lol: I love the colour debates!
I bet you do Terry, you seem to thrive on Choas. :lol: i do agree that all bullitts should have been DHG, I do love my BLACK one but the DHG is so appealing.

and yes i said Terry not Terri :razz:

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
If it's what he thinks, and this is still America he has the right to say whatever he wants. That's what he thinks the investment potnetial is.

It makes perfect sense too. In the future, the blue and black boodies and components will be much easier to locate as they are everywhere. The DHG cars are unique. Teh movie car was green too, so the purists could possibly desire them more too.

I can't see any car being an investment or collector's car, but that why I wasn't quoted :grin:

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
He said his opinion and he is entitled to print what he thinks. As far as a collectable in the future, I doubt it will very collectable at all. A pristine car may be worth a few bucks, but not much. A true blue should be worth the most considering the number built. This is my opinion and the whole world can read it, some may agree and some may not, but I will never know.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the replies guys, I guess I'm just too sensitive about my car:redface: Does anyone know what colours the proposed '08 will be available in?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Some people (on this site in particular) take this color thing WAYYYYY too seriously. I have been attacked for tongue-in-cheek comments I have made about green being the "better" color. And unless I was missing something (and I don't think I was) these comments were not made lightly - they were VERY upset that I made reference to green being better.

Facts: You could get a Bullitt in 3 different colors. People chose the one they wanted for any number of reasons. The fact remains that the original movie car was GREEN so the green ones are the ones that are most "true" to the spirit of the original car. If you want a Bullitt for it's collectability, it only makes sense to get one that is green - for a couple of different reasons.

1. - The move car was green (as stated above).
2.- The "other" colors were colors that were readily available on a regular (non-Bullitt) Mustang.

For it's exclusivity factor alone, the green would be the preferred color. Coupled with the fact that the movie car was green, I don't see how anyone could argue that (from a collector's standpoint) black or blue would be preferred.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
"God meant for all Bullitts to be DHG" - Art Hyde, Head of Team Mustang June 2003

1 - 20 of 40 Posts