Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've read many posts on the different mods y'all are doing. Basically, most mods include headers, the downpipes, cat back exhaust (with or w/out converters) chips, u/d pulleys and some sort of intake, either K&N or the densecharger.

You're spending roughly $2000 for next to no real gain on the street, according to most of your numbers. Look at "5508s Dyno Chart" under mods. He gained appx. 22 hp and 11 lbs/feet of rwtq. That doesn't translate to much on the road.

For example, some stock dyno numbers posted for rwhp are 221.0 to 237.3.

The only side-by-side comparison I could find was in Road & Track. A stock Bullitt (w 265 bhp) ran 0-60 at 5.8 sec versus 0-60 at 5.6 sec in a 320 bhp stock 2001 Cobra. We're talking .2 seconds with a 55 hp difference. The quarter time was 14.3 @98.9 (Bullitt) vs 14.2 @ 99.7 (Cobra). That's reaction time, a blink of the eye.

I'm just saying, have fun with your mods, but don't expect the world. I'm waiting 'til after 30k miles and then throw in a supercharger or turbo.

Any modded Bullitts in MD wanna "test" against my stock Bullitt? Weather should be nice this weekend.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I hear what you're saying but I didn't buy the Bullitt because I obsess about 1/4 mile times, nor do I do mods obsessing about 1/4 mile times. If I did I would have bought a late 80's 5.0 and gone from there. The only mod I did purely for performance is the 3.73's, and that's the only one I plan on doing.
Otherwise, the Bullitt has the performance I want straight from the dealer. The mods I've done are purely for the personal pleasure of the enhanced sound, feel, and/or look. Understand that many of us prefer to remain normally aspirated and spend more money for relatively less bang.
If I were interested in SPEED I would do exactly what you are planning on doing...a very wise choice for this engine in my opinion...just not for me.

Black#5578
Tri-Ax,DensChrgr100mm,MAC 2cat"H"&FlowPath muffs,FR 3.73&Alum.Drvshft,30mm H&R spacers,AutoLogic chip,MGW & Haney alum,FR500 wheel,SCHROTH red Harnesses

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dennis on 2002-01-23 17:37 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I also understand what you are saying. I have seen some mods here that don't really seem to pay off. Although there are some mods that do. From all that I have read the best bang for the buck is gears, boost (SC, TC, or NOS), timming, mixture, and tires. Just about in that order.

My goal while remaining NA is to install 4.10s, advance the timming, fix the rich mixture, and get some better tires.

I would bet you a large sum of money that with these mods my bullitt will leave your stocker in the dust.

Do you really think 55hp is good for only .1 sec in a 1/4 in the same car?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Plus our cars look way better than cobra's, ok maybe it is a little off subject but if you look good you go faster or atleast feel better while going slower right??

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Black Sunshine,where did you get your info. that the Cobra is 500 lbs. heavier than the Bullitt? True, the IRS adds about 80 lbs.,although the Cobra's engine is about 25-30 lbs. lighter. Every thing else appears the same. Don't see where the extra weight difference would be?

·
Registered
714 Posts
My car is supercharged and it will probably never see the 1/4 mile. We mod because we like to tweak with stuff, it's a hobby. Not to speak for everyone, but it the thrill of taking stuff apart and installing new stuff on a Saturday morning that makes it fun for me, not gaining another .1 second in the 1/4.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the weight difference between the Cobra & the Bullitt, the R&T article has the Bullitt at 3360 and the Cobra at 3380.

I'm not a 1/4er, I love race tracks! I'm putting on better brakes and buying some racing tires in preparation for track time & autocrosses this year. I feel that's where the Bullitts will outshine SSs and maybe even a Cobra, IRS not withstanding.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
sinner, if you want someone to respond to hooking up with you and "testing" their mods, it might help if you had a city in your profile so someone knew where you lived and THEN they could decide if you were close enough to "hook up" with

·
Registered
140 Posts
I gotta agree with Bullitt#4660, its a hobby and just plain fun to install the mods.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Check out my dyno results for 615 in the dyno forum.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullittman615 on 2002-03-31 13:31 ]</font>

·
Registered
36 Posts
FYI.

The drivetrain of the Bullitt/GT has decent mechanical efficieny. Realistically, you should only assume ~11-12% drivetrain loss to calculate tq/hp at the flywheel.

The Cobra (99 & 2001) is closer to ~15-16% drivetrain loss due to the IRS.

·
Registered
393 Posts
one big issue between the 2V and 4V modulars is when you analyze the hp/tq curve as a WHOLE, not just the peak numbers. The 4V makes a great PEAK HP number, but it occurs well up in the curve and isn't exactly flat in nature. The 2V makes very similair TQ numbers and really has a nicer, flat curve on the power (albeit, lower in peak).

This is the exact same reason the LS1 boys can dominate; the LS1 makes a REALLY FLAT curve. This equates into MORE USEABLE POWER THROUGHOUT the rev band.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey JB.... Not to stray off subject, couldn't heip notice that time you posted with your BULLITT. How were you able to get that kinda performance with just Drag Radials?

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-03-27 20:17, R BULLITT #1203 wrote:
Hey JB.... Not to stray off subject, couldn't heip notice that time you posted with your BULLITT. How were you able to get that kinda performance with just Drag Radials?

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>Good driver

·
Registered
119 Posts
01bullitt46l,
Where is the documentation about the drivetrain loss %'s that your talking about? I'd like to read up on it more since I've never seen anything that documents what your saying.

·
Registered
393 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-03-27 20:17, R BULLITT #1203 wrote:
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Bob, I don't know. This car has always run pretty good times. But I will tell you the 13.33 came on a great evening; 55 degrees, low humdity, low dewpoint, high baramoter. I believe the density altitude calced about -1000ft.

And a wicked launch doesn't hurt either; I launched from around 5000rpms to pull the 1.87 short time and speedshifted at redline on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Went through the traps almost bouncing off 3rd.

Memorable run.... :grin:

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I agree with every one. Yeah I spent 200 bucks for a power tower and yeah I thow out some cash for the denscharger, Pullies, gears and D/s But its fun.
Next up is exhaust, headres, cams and heads. with that I should be well over my gole of 330 at the wheels( i hope)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts