Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Boy or Boy:confused:
It is hard to figure out what or if you want to do a performance mod.
It seems like all of the performance mods has plus's and minus's. Like more hp= less torque, more top end power= less low end power.
I am talking about CMP's UDP's , Longtube Headers, cams.
Of course turbo's and SC are a different story! Except $6000 in the Bullitt = $6000 less in the wallet:(

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm with you. When it comes to performance mods, seems like touching one thing, makes you to touch someting else. I guess that's why most of my mods so far have been more show than go. I'd love to feel the effects of a blower ...but not on my wallet. When I think it through, it doesn't take me long to realize I can't afford or justify some of the things I "dream" about. But I thoroughly enjoy seeing all the interesting things others are doing with their cars. I guess it comes down to what you're trying to achieve.

I have no intention of putting it on the track. I'd probably get nervous and do someting stupid. But I love watching Pinks All Out. I don't street race or chase Dodge Charges. I don't want to lose my license, hurt myself or somebody else. I don't need bragging rights to the fastest or baddest machine on the block. When my Bullitt's FRPP axle-backs rumble down the street at 45 mph, nobody knows what this old man's got under the hood. But it looks good:tongue:!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
We did ARH longtubes first, and even if we weren't going to do the supercharger, I'd still do it again in a heartbeat. The dyno showed 19+ hp gain with equal tq. Proper sized tubing will keep you from losing much if any down low. We saw some on the dyno, but noticed none on the street. This was with the 1 3/4" primaries made for supercharging. Stick with the 1 5/8" and a decent set of longtubes, like American Racing, or Kooks, and you'll find what your seeking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think you must ask yourself what is the most important for your style of driving? If its effiency then an aluminum driveshaft works really well as does long tube hedders and under drive pullies. Personally, I can't live without super brakes or lighter wheels to free up unsprung weight. Shocks/struts/suspension upgrades would be next for me. (I think this is where the Mustang suffers say to other cars).

Drive your car say a 10K miles and then ask- where is my car in need of real-world improvement?

Drive your car within 9/10ths of your ability and then improve the engine performance of the car (or yourself for that matter with a hi-po driving course).

These are things I have done with my money...but to each his own. Unless you just want to 'hit it' in a straight line on a track (of which I have no experience).

·
Registered
289 Posts
Brenspeed or Bamatunes Tune. Better response, more power, better drivability, better mileage, completely reversible.

Not too many downsides for a mod in my opinion.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't like the rusty cast iron exhaust manifolds that the Bullitts come with. I don't want to give up my signature sound with the LT headers and mid pipe. So I am thinking of a jet coated set of Ford Racing shorty headers . I know there is no hp increase, I am thinking of looks only and I think the sound will be a bit louder.
All I see is 05-07 Ford Racing shorty's M-9430-S197C. Will they fit our Bullitts?

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you look around you can find equal length shorty headers that should give you a little increase in performance with a good tune. There is a difference in shorty and equal length, if your gonna spend money and time doing it GET the equal length shorty headers

·
Registered
165 Posts
What's your budget? You can spend $8k, get a turbo/blower and go 11s. Or you can spend under $1k and be somewhere in the high 12s.

Does your budget match your final hp goals? If not, maybe you can build it in stages.

Do you want loud or quiet? Boosted/NOS or N/A heads & cams?

Driveability is another consideration depending on your goals.

Just have a plan before buying any parts. You'll save money in the long run by not buying the same part twice.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
You will still retain most of the BULLITT signature sound with just the mufflers and LT's.... I know many think that the noise mostly comes from the special H-Pipe, but I challenge anyone to try longtubes with the stock mufflers and tell me it doesn't just sound like a louder version of the stock setup!

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Good advice Al.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I'm not looking for exotic performance so my plan is to go with the tune since it seems to be the best bang for the buck:exclaim: :exclaim:
If I ever fall into money, I will add the Thumpr cams just because I love that lope sound it produces.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Loop said:
I'm not looking for exotic performance so my plan is to go with the tune since it seems to be the best bang for the buck:exclaim: :exclaim:
If I ever fall into money, I will add the Thumpr cams just because I love that lope sound it produces.
Hi Gregg,

Here is John's (0924) 2008 Bullitt with those Cams and this Video from BRENSPEED.

cpd0924<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1876189", true); </SCRIPT>
<! FIRST NAME START>aka "JOHN"
http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161634&highlight=thumpr+cams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lupoxuO8Em8

When You get ready to order them give "Seth" a call & tell Him Terry Honaker sent You from IMBOC.

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jymontoya said:
You will still retain most of the BULLITT signature sound with just the mufflers and LT's.... I know many think that the noise mostly comes from the special H-Pipe, but I challenge anyone to try longtubes with the stock mufflers and tell me it doesn't just sound like a louder version of the stock setup!
This is with Ford Racing axle-backs only!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNhUqD7iK8w
I had a 07 Mustang gt that had a bad Drone ,tell I got my LT headers and x-pipe.
I do believe that the signature sound comes from the H-pipe

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
tigerhonaker said:
Hi Gregg,

Here is John's (0924) 2008 Bullitt with those Cams and this Video from BRENSPEED.
That is the most awesome sound! Thanks Terry, I'll do that when I'm ready. I could handle the cost of the cams but unfortunately, you have to install them as well :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Loop said:
That is the most awesome sound! Thanks Terry, I'll do that when I'm ready. I could handle the cost of the cams but unfortunately, you have to install them as well :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Gregg,

John, I think goes out every once in awhile and fires up the Bullitt just to hear the "Thumpr"

Cams do there thing.........

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
BlackPony said:
This is with Ford Racing axle-backs only!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNhUqD7iK8w
I had a 07 Mustang gt that had a bad Drone ,tell I got my LT headers and x-pipe.
I do believe that the signature sound comes from the H-pipe
I have ZERO drone with my ARH LT's and O/R H with stock mufflers. Our mufflers help this a ton! Just a nice deep Bullitt mellow sound. Now I do have the slightest bit of trumpeting, but it's rarely noticeable. Keep your cats and you wont have this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts