Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't believe I am posting another topic in this forum so quickly. Just got back from a road trip to Vegas. While there, I was parked on a very clean driveway. As I was leaving, Pops noticed some new oil spots there. Looks like I lost a couple of tablespoons over a couple of days. This may in part explain the burning smell I have been experiencing. Anyway, it seems to be a small leak, but any leak is not acceptable to me.

Also, #140 developed another little tic while I was there. After setting the alarm, which is aftermarket from the dealer, the damn thing goes off after about 30 seconds. Probably some sort of short in the system.

Anyway, she will be back to the dealer shortly. I think everything should be warranty work. Just hoping the oil leak is not a big deal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Please post what the cause of the oil leak is. I had a similar problem, I found a small amount of oil leaking on my garage floor, and found out the head gaskets were blown.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is nothing quite so serious, but we'll see. I am taking her in tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Dang... If you end up with Blown Head gaskets as well, you will be Bullitt number 6 that I know of that has had to have the Engine replaced. I was at my dealer's last Saturday and the confirmed that they did put a NEW Engine in another Bullitt besides mine;-(... I sent Art Hyde an eMAIL on this already. He said that it was not a known issue, but I have to bet that this is NOT true;-(...

Please do keep us updated;-(... I know that even with a NEW Engine in mine (#227) I am waiting and hoping that I don't see any more oil. Last but not least take a look under the Intake. Mine was full of oil and had two blown headgaskets, not just one. the others I have talked to about this also had two blown headgaskets.

Thanks again for letting us know.

Bud

http://www.sonic.net/budacad/bullitt/bullitt.htm

·
Registered
302 Posts
The problem with the alarm is that the ford computer sends out a pulse to see if the dome light is on this includes the door switche wiring that the alarm is hooked into. What they have to do is put a capaciter and resistor to eliminate this pulse. I had the problem on my after market alarm and thats what they did to fix it. Don't no anything about oil leaks other than to look under the car to try and determine roughly where on the motor it might be coming from.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys:

Just got in from the dealer. The initial diagnosis for the leak is that it is coming from the rear differential, which would seem to explain the burning smell I have been noticing from the rear end. As for the alarm, service rep said that the sensitivity is too high, don't think I buy that. They have not started work on the car yet, so I will still have to wait and see if there is any leak in the engine.

I won't have internet access again until Monday, but I'll fill you in with the results then.

Thanks for the input.

Joshua

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: beefmd on 2001-11-27 11:41 ]</font>

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good call mid-life. Christmas came early this year. Thanks Santa.

Still a little apprehensive that they will find something more severe. I won't be happy till I am behind the wheel again.

·
Registered
310 Posts
One thing after another with these cars! its like it never ends! Quality whats that???
Havgun#1676 All i can say is buy the extended warranty because u are gonna need it!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
#140 is back from the dealer and all is well. The alram turned out to be too sensitive, so that was adjusted. The leaking oil was from the rear differential so they had to "replace both pinion bearings and cups." Don't really know what that means, just transcribed it from the service report for you gearheads. The burning smell is still there, but seems to be lessening daily. All in all, not too upset about this warranty work.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Great to hear your problems were easily fixed!

Do you have any idea whear they mounted your shouk sensor? You almost need a sledge hammer to set mine off near by the driver's door, and you can't set it off from the trunk or passenger door, and its set to the max sensitivity.

Stock... for now :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cpeders on 2001-12-03 20:22 ]</font>

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
That is not too bad;-)... Much better thena NEW motor. Pinion seal was probably crushed at the factory when the installed it.

That is EXCELLENT news for you.

Thanks for letting us know.

Bud

1 - 12 of 12 Posts