Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can hear what i have termed, the transmission crying. when i down shift to second, or first (i am talking about reasonable speeds) i can hear a faint high pitched wine out of the trans. i dont think this should be happening, is anyone else having this same noise???

·
Registered
121 Posts
Oh yes.

Never thought it was a problem though. We'll have to wait for one of the guys that really know the mechanical stuff to weigh in on it though...

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
As far as I know, every manual tranny car I've driven has a high pitched whine when you downshift...especially in 1st. I think it's normal.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Would'nt hold up in court,but I believe these sounds are normal for this tranny/clutch setup.There is also a "groaning" noise when upshifting normally.This dissapears on hard upshifts.

·
Registered
93 Posts
trans whinning is normal but try not to down shift to first gear unless you doing less then 5 mph. Down shifting wear out synchro ring

·
Registered
959 Posts
If you are downshifting into a gear by just pushing the clutch and shoving the shifter into a lower gear, you force the synchro to spin up the gearset to match the gear speed with the mainshaft so it can engage. The whine you hear is the synchro and gear spinning up to speed. This puts wear and tear on the synchro. You are best to practice double clutching and blipping the throttle to match revs during a downshift.

I know this sounds like a lot of work and complicated but it is easy and once mastered, becomes instinctive and takes hardly any time. Your tranny will thank you.

Brian

·
Registered
959 Posts
You are doing a double clutch when you are heel-toeing during a downshift, only difference is you are braking at the same time.

DOuble clutch - push clutch in, put trans in neutral, rev engine, push clutch in, engage lower gear, release clutch.. whew!

Not as bad as it sounds.

Brian

·
Registered
292 Posts
Besides double clutching sounds sooooo good in a Bullitt. (-:

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
When blipping the throttle during the downshift, do you need to engage the clutch and pause in neutral or can you leave the clutch disengaged as you move the shifter out of gear, through neutral and into the lower gear?

·
Registered
959 Posts
You blip with the clutch in neutral..this spins up the input shaft and intermediate shaft.

Happy blipping!! :smile:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Double Clutching....you make it sound so easy. Actually, it isn't so bad. I'm still getting use to it though. I read the manual and there is a bold print warning not to shift the transmission into 1st at speeds greater than 15MPH. I have noticed in my car that this warning is a good piece of advice.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not to put too fine a point on it, but you will find that you want to do your double clutch downshifts at the same time you are braking. That's where the heel and toe come in. Brake with only the ball of your foot on the brake pedal, then use the right edge of your foot to blip the throttle. Hey, you're almost a race driver now! If you ever take your car to road course track events, this technique is essential, unless you like buying clutches and/or synchronizers. Happy Blipping!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Why is it necessary to reingage the clutch while you are in neutral before you blip? Shouldn't you just be able to leave the clutch disengaged?

And as far as the whining of the transmission is concerned, I hear it in first gear when i'm decelerating, both with clutch engaged and disengaged.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine does the same, I never gave it any thought every 4 or 5 speed I ever owned did it - hell my 70 bug does it!

·
Registered
255 Posts
How do I tell what my tranny's serial number is? I have a real nasty grind from 1st to 2nd that is annoying the hell out of me. Could this be what is causing it? The dealer that I went to also did not hear of this problem and if there is a problem with it then Ford sure as hell isn't telling the dealers about it. Either that or the dealers are all incompetent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well after haveing my car at the dealer for a month getting a new transmission, air conditioner, and rear end, I picked it up and headed out on the road! Well, this story doesnt have a happy ending....its now back at the dealer because the tranny fluid was leaking all over the garage floor!! Since quality control doesnt seem to be a factor with the Bullit can you say "BUY BACK!?"

1 - 20 of 42 Posts