Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well got the 28 spline Moser axles,along with the longer studs,finished up today.
Supposedly, these axles are somewhat stronger than the stock Ford axles,due to a better material,and some slight machining differences. However,the stickers Moser puts on these axles,disclaim the axles quality or fitness, for any use?
I figure this is to protect themselves from the kids that try to apply blower HP,to these stock type axles,with slicks and endless torture,then want a refund when they break!
Hopefully,they will live a long life with my moderate strip use,and mild,stock HP!
All of this from,use of Weld Draglite wheels I had,resulting in the need of longer axle studs,then to maybe a better axle to put the studs in. Didn't want to modify the stockers.
Oh,and forgot to add the $45.00 for the required Ford rear end lube refill!
These little mods add up quick. Got to cut this stuff out!$$$

·
Car Whisperer
21,384 Posts
pics with the wheels on???

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
how come you didn't go 31 spline??

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Mus408 said:
Oh,and forgot to add the $45.00 for the required Ford rear end lube refill!
These little mods add up quick. Got to cut this stuff out!$$$
Does not compute ;) 80w90 baby!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Mustangs weak link for drag strip launches are the stock axles. I agree step up to the HD Ford Posi with 31 spline axles is a better choice but you should be good with the 28's if you are not running too extreme hp & launching around 6 grand with slicks. I have twisted a stock axle in one of my previous Mustangs & was lucky it was at the line since we have C-clips the axle can come all the way out & kiss a wall
so think about this being cheap insurance.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The 28sp Moser axles are decent, they will hold up much longer than stock. Still a good idea to upgrade to 31sp if you are going to be launching hard.

I put in Moser 31sp axles,and I started getting a weird ABS issue. When the car is almost stopped the ABS will cycle for a split second, causing a pulsing of the brake pedal. The only thing I have noticed is that the sensor rings are pressed farther out toward the wheels. This may be causing the signal to be weaker at slow speed.

I will have to pull the axles back out and repress the sensors. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

The 31sp HD Posi also has the larger cross pin, much stronger.

C-clips not as big an issues since we have rear disc, axle can't come out.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First of all,I decided to go with the Weld wheels,as they were 9 inch wide,vs. the 8 inch width of the Torque Thrust wheels I had also. Plus the Welds had a little more BS,and are lighter.
Yes,a 31 spline setup is definitely the way to go,I have that killer setup,in a 9 inch,for my 85 LX.
However,no more spending in the "hot rod" budget,to afford such upgrade for Bullitt.
There are no mind bending 5000 RPM clutch dumping launches in the Bullitt plan.
As far as any ABS issues....there shouldn't be any,since I decided to keep the ABS rings on the stock axles,and pulled the fuses for the ABS system,plus temporarily blocked out the ABS warning light.
ABS is great for wet or winter driving,with the untrained driver panic stops,and 0503 never gets driven in wet/winter conditions.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took a short ride in the Bullitt today,and all seems fine. Hit the brakes hard,from speed,and all is fine there.
It was about 45 degrees out,and man does it feel spunky!!!
Just a few more weeks,till the track opens!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have the moser 28 spline in my 87 GT they are 94 to 98 mustang axles I did for the 5 lug. They work fine no worries. I just wanted alittle upgrade.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts