Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if our using 5w30 synthetic oil will affect our warranty at all. I have seen this subject posted before and have seen several different answers. Mr. T, do you have any input on this subject for us?

Vicki
DHG #344

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I am no expert, but if our cars come with 5-20w oil from Ford, why can't we use 5-30w Regular or Synthetic motor oil? It will still flow at 5 weight, but would have a better viscosity at 30 then 20w. So why does Ford want us to use ONLY 5-20w?

When my engine breaks in and exceeds 3000 miles, I am switching to (Mobil 1 5-30w) unless someone can explain the theory to all of this. Anyone from Ford on this forum?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Your car came with Ford 5w20 synthetic blend oil. You can get it at your Ford dealer. Or, you can get Amsoil 5w20 synthetic shipped to you. Someone at a car show told me about it and once I looked into it I had a case and one of their filters delivered to my door in less that 3 days

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bullitt220: You sure that our cars came with the Ford 5w20 synthetic oil and not regular?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I really don't think a Ford dealer is going to test our oil to make sure we are using 5W20 if a engine warranty issue comes about. All they really want to see is that oil changes were done within the specified time intervals. That said, I did my first oil change last week at 1000 miles with Ford 5W20 premium oil. Next oil change will be at 3000 with synthetic and every 3000 thereafter. It will be with 5W20 synthetic if I can find it. If not then Valvoline 5W30 synthetic will do.

John

#2731 True Blue
Bassani X Pipe w/Cats
Magnaflows (wielded in)
Aluminum Driveshaft
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
Densecharger CAI
Superchips Premium Fuel Chip
GT Fog Lights / Tinted Windows
MGW LTD - Interior Pieces
StonGard

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TrueBlueBullitt on 2001-09-06 20:56 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I think the Motorcraft 5w20 in the black bottle is a hydrocracked synthetic blend, even though it doesn't say. I can be fairly sure of this, because some Walmarts now stock red bottle Motorcraft labeled 'Synthetic Blend'. It has a revision date of June and carries the same part # as the black bottle.

Don't confuse hydrocracked "synthetic" with true synthetics. It is a highly refined mineral oil, but is far superior to most petroleums. Castrol Syntec is a Hydrocracked synthetic and won a case allowing them to call it synthetic. Others will follow, it costs about half as much to make it.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The Motorcraft Oil in the red bottle is Synthetic Blend. I was told it is what's put in at the factory. I could have been lied to.

I still think the Amsoil is still the best way to go. Changed mine at 2000 miles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The manual calls for service every 5000 miles. Correct? That would include changing the oil every 5000? I've always done that every 3000. I'm at 3200 and thinking about changing the oil this weekend. My t-bird with the 4.6 was easy to change. How is the Mustang? Is the filter easy in-easy, easy-out? Or is it really hard to get to?

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Hi Ed,
Having traded in a Tbird with a 4.6, I can tell you the Bullitt is a lot easier. Same problem with the oil running on the cross member as before but you can get to the filter easier and you have a lot more room to get it out than before. Little trick, I always grab like a foot of alumnimum foil and mold it against the cross member, then remove the filter and after a few minutes peel the foil off and no mess.

·
Registered
451 Posts
All I kept thinking whenever I'd change the oil on my T'Bird was "round peg, square hole." :grin:

Joe

PS: My .02 on the oil thing... 5w20, full synthetic (Amsoil in my case), every 3k. I'm not going to start trying to convince Ford that their entire new spec is wrong. They called for it, I'm using it.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Right on Joe!
I saw posts from you previously talking about Amsoil 5w20...I've been using it since.
VERY NICE!
Arrived in 3 days.
Jim

·
Registered
204 Posts
So long as the oil you use meets or exceeds manufacturer specs our warranties will be fine. Granted, I'm not a dealer but am a former mechanic. Simply look at the back of the bottle and the SG rating. All motor oil is essentially the same (with the exception of synthetic & blends), so long as they have the same rating on the back. Paying $5 dollars a bottle doesn't mean you're getting a better oil, it just means you paid more it. There are only a couple of places in the world that even make motor oil. It's just an assembly line type of production. One company says I want a really cool looking bottle while another says I don't care what the bottle looks like. Again, as long as the oil has the manufacturer recommended rating, there's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If an engine warranty issue raises it's ugly head the first thing the dealer will do is take an oil sample and send it for analisis. They WILL be able to tell what type of oil you are using, not the brand buy certainlty if it's mineral or synthetic oil. I have no idea if synthetic will void the warranty or not.

Black 1447

·
Registered
122 Posts
RTFM
I found Ford Motorcraft 5w-20 syth-blend oil on the shelves of my local Wal Mart.$1.77qt

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, Wal-Mart is the only place I found it. Unfortunately they only had 2 quarts left. I stopped by the local Ford dealer this morning to pick up 3 more quarts and check to see if the touch-up paint was in (which it isn't) and the guy was all excited when I told him I had my Bullitt parked outside. So excited that I think he decided to play Mr. Niceguy after I said yes to his request to come take a look at the car. He charged me $2.27 for 3 quarts of the same oil I paid 1.77/quart for at Wal-Mart....yeah, he only charged me for 1 of the 3 quarts. Nice, don't ya think?

By the way, thanks Mid Life Crisis. The aluminum foil idea is a great one. And for those who are interested, I bought the $30 low-profile ramps at Wal-Mart and they clear the front spoiler by about 1/2". The ramps I had before would not clear the front of the Bullitt. I sure do wish all manufacturers would put the easy-grip ends on their filters like Fram. It makes taking things apart a whole lot easier.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts