Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The review car did not do so hot in the 1/4, and even though MT said it was not a broke in car it is going to add fuel to the fire on the hp and performance aspect. Overall, they liked the car. Its in the new issue, four pages.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have the mag on me right now, but it was a 14 something. Im sure someone else will post it before I can get the number...sorry.

·
Registered
144 Posts
They got a 14.07 at 97.9, which they commented was slower than when they tested a 99 GT. They commented though that it was a brand new car and not 'broken in' It was a fairly positive review. They mostly liked the styling and the handling, although they criticized the ponies on the calipers as 'a bit much'. Of course, that guy from Forbes obviously knows more about cars than Motor Trend. :wink:

DHG #765

If you listen closely, you can hear your Chevy rusting.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IvanGrozny on 2001-07-06 16:15 ]</font>

·
Registered
144 Posts
No need to get mad at them, they liked the car, it was a pretty positive review. 14.07 in a brand new unmodified car is not anything to laugh at. They beat me by .9 of a second, of course they probably had the sense to turn the traction control off. :wink: Only a few pages earlier they have a review of a Porsche Boxster doing a 13.93. Only $30,000 more for 14 hundredths of a second!

·
Registered
393 Posts
well, that's way off what I got from mine. My car wasn't exactly "broken in" with only 500 miles and managed 13.83 at 101.5. Thats .24 tenths faster and 3.6mph more trap than their tester.

As a matter of fact, I've got around 12 timeslips right here in front of me and I don't have 1 slip with under a 99.0 trap. Most are over 100 with 3 over 101.

cheer up guys :grin:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yeah guys,

I agree with JB VOBRA on this matter and so does Paul Svinicki by the way. There is nothing to sweat about the Bullitt's performance or it's performance potential. I noticed that on other boards people are wrapped up in this "only 5 HP increase issue". However, just checking the posted dyno results will show that all ot the cars are doing much better especially in TQ and since all of us have relatively new cars there is a lot more to come. Using 99 Gt's as an example most of those cars gained about 10 HP/TQ after break-in. No one "officially" has stated what the performance of the Bullitt is or what is to be expected and I for one wouldn't be unsatisfied even if nothing changed, however, I know that there will be a change for the better as the engine breaks in. In my mind still a very good purchase!

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-07-06 16:38, JB VOBRA wrote:
well, that's way off what I got from mine. My car wasn't exactly "broken in" with only 500 miles and managed 13.83 at 101.5. Thats .24 tenths faster and 3.6mph more trap than their tester.

As a matter of fact, I've got around 12 timeslips right here in front of me and I don't have 1 slip with under a 99.0 trap. Most are over 100 with 3 over 101.

cheer up guys :grin:
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Any chance we can get scans of those timeslips? I'd love to put them up! :smile:

Mike

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
All my runs were hampered,by a lack of traction,giving me a best of 14.11 at 99.7. Wish I new how JB got that 101 MPH?

·
Registered
393 Posts
whoa! sorry guys, I'm not trying to sound like a bull$hitter. I assure all of you my times are legit. I only know bluebullit (Todd) as an acquaintance, but I believe he'll vouche for me.

I'm not very computer savy, but I do have the slips and will try and get them scanned. If any of the Houston bullitt owners want to see the slips, I'll be glad to meet up with them. Maybe one of them has a scanner and can do the verification for me.

But tell you the truth, I'm not even close to being done in stock form. I'm going to resist the mod bug and stick with stock form. I truly believe a 13.5 at over 103 is in this car in stock. HRP is an excellent track that lies at sea level. 50 degree fall temps will most certainly yield much more out of this car.

I'll try and get the slips scanned and maybe my dyno graph as well.

Thanks gang!!

and BTW...my "other" car is an 11-second 6 speed 98 cobra that I run occasionally. Two timeslips in the 11's are quite a rush!!, but I love this Bullitt none the less!!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
No JB,I wasn't doubting your runs,just that my tach was right around 5800 RPM,in 3rd,on those 99.7 mph runs. Yours must have been closer to 6000 maybe? What octane gas were you using,as I heard a bit of ping on my hottest run in 3rd.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Mus, check out this link. It has some handy calculators:

http://www.corral.net/tech

the 3650 tranny has the same ratios as the T45. If you input 5800rpms, 17" 245/45 tires, 3rd gear of a T45, you get 101.89XXX.

And besides, I really don't believe the rev limiter is at 5800. I'm not sure what the exact rpm limiter is, but it appears to be past 5800, maybe 6000. Also, factory tachs can be off substantially. Some 200 or more as a precautionary measure by the manufacturer. You could possibly be shifting too soon on your runs? Try running every gear out to redline and crossing the traps in 3rd.

Regarding the fuel: this car has run excellent on exxon 87. I have noticed no pinging, even when the car was on the dyno with the hood open. It's kinda weird, but the 01GT we traded in for the bullitt pinged quite frequently on the same gas from the same exxon I always use. I have no explanation why since the car was bone-stock. Maybe a bad MAF calibration from the factory. Who knows?

·
Registered
835 Posts
JB,

If you'd entrust your timeslips to a fellow Houston Bullitt, I can scan and post them for you.

I'm in Spring.

·
Registered
393 Posts
No prob TX.

I'm not exactly close to Spring, but I could meet you somehwere. I'm inside the loop near greenway plaza.

Drop me an e-mail and let me know...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I remember reading on StangNet.com that they ran a Bullitt at FFW that was held at the Atlanta Drag Strip. They said its best time was 13.66 if I recall.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts