Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw Motorweek last nite on Speedvision where they talked about the Cobra and the Bullitt. Every magazine/car show definitely seems to be impressed with the build quality and the workmanship of the Bullitt to be a step above the GT but a step below the Cobra in some ways but not all. In more ways than one, the Bullitt is better than the Cobra with the overall tightness of the package and it seems like the knock on the Cobra is the use of the IRS. If the Cobra was still live axle, then it would be able to put the power to the ground better which of course would make it faster. Hopefully, many of the Bullitt's suspension attributes will carry over to the new Mustangs ( it will on the MACH I) and the new Cobra. Makes no since for the Cobra to have 350-360 horsepower when you can't put the power down to the pavement. If Cobra wants to compete with the Vette then it definitely needs to get better in this area. What was up with the quarter mile trap speed on the Bullitt?? 14.1 @ 105 MPH on OE ties is not possible if I am correct. Cobra was running 13.7 at 106 MPH so the Bullitt would have to be in the 13.8 range to run that type of trap speed. Cool stuff though.

Reese
01 GT
Bassani x w/cats
Steeda TA set at 14 degrees
70 MM FRP TB
3.73 gears
Delta 40 series Flowmasters on stock exhaust
80 MM C&L Mass Air with K&N
ASP Pulleys
Suspension Techniques Lowering springs (1.5 inch drop)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just saw that episode this morning on Speed Vision. I couldn't wait to get out of the house and into my Cobra killing Bullitt! :smile: That Cobra had horrible track times for having an additional 55hp over the Bullitt. What's up with that?! Just goes to show what really counts is quality and not quantity! IMHO

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
slow down cowboy...i think a cobra can still get you not off the line but by the end of the quarter because the real problem with the cobra is the inability to put the power fully to the pavement. too much axle hop which makes for horrible launches. your have to kinda rev a cobra on launch to get into the powerband so that it will not bog off the line. the inherent good nature of the 4.6 dohc motor is its revability, not the low end torque. even with my setup, and it is probably close to 250 to 260 at the wheels and with gears, will i be able to get a stock cobra. may be very close, but it should win. just my two cents. don't kill me ladies and gents if you disagree.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't disagree but I guess what I'm thinking is that it's really not worth the extra cash. I'm sure in a race, once the Cobra got into third gear a Bullitt would be done. However with the difference in cost you could put the extra money for a Cobra into a supercharger on a Bullitt and have more HP in the end. Just my opinion. :smile:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm not so sure you'd have to wait for 3rd gear for the Cobra to pull away from the Bullitt. Car & Driver has recorded zero to 60 times of 4.8 seconds in a stock Cobra hardtop. Thats at least .7 seconds faster than the best numbers I've seen from a Bullitt, and puts the Cobra in 911 and Vette territory. That being said, I'd still rather have the Bullitt becuase it handles as well if not better, has a meaner look, and is more unique than the Cobra.

Regards,
Dfresh (DHG 294)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i agree. c&d did, as well as MMFF have the 0-60 for the cobra at 4.8 supercharged at 6.0 psi would put you around 340-360 hp like a roush and beat a cobra. 6.0 psi is good so you don't have to worry about rings and pistons. now, if you got your cam custom ground, extrude honed your intake, did full pulleys, mass air, steeda t/a and bassani w/cats or offroad pipe, you may be closer than you think for around $2000 total.(guesstimate) got a book from bbk the other day with parts and they had a 01 gt vert with bbk x-pipe, 70 mm tb, k&n, and pulleys which gave the gt 35 extra hp at the rear wheels. toss in a steeda t/a at 14 degrees for another 10 hp, full mass air (80mm) for another 8 hp and a custom ground cam for about another 20 hp and you have 333 hp!!! now that's for me (01gt), same set up for the bullitt would be closer to 345-350 hp, maybe more. cobra killer??? 3.73 gears and you kill cobras and hunt vettes.......you don't always need to s/c if you choose the right setup ladies and gents and your car still looks and sounds stock except for the deeper exhaust and slighly rougher idle from the cam. plus you don't have to worry as much about p*ssing a piston.....thoughts anyone??

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sounds good to me!! :smile: How much do you think it would all cost and are you factoring in doing all the labor yourself? I'd love to do engine work in place of installing a super charger, but doing internal work can get very time consuming and expensive. I rebuilt a dodge 360 once and it took awhile, mainly due to funding, but ran like a champ when I was finished. Of course it also set me back about $3500. Both heads were cracked and I had to get new ones. :sad:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i would say get the cam ground and the intake honed by a professional. putting the intake back on once you get it should just be reverse of removal if you do it yourself. the cam, if you can do it yourself, can be taken out and replaced but i myself am not a mechanic so i would have it done. check with your local shops for prices to ground and extrude hone but i believe that together both should fall into the 500-700 dollar range. everything else can be done by yourself since they are all bolt-ons. i think the overall price for all excluding install would be:

x-pipe x/cats -$400-$500 (no cats cheaper)
80 mm Mass air - $239-$279 (k&n incl)
Pulleys - $169 - $199
Steeda T/A - $179-$199
3.73 Gears - $159-$179
Custom ground Cam - $300-$400??
Extrude hone intake - $300-$400??

$2150.00 total taking the high amounts
Labor depending of course is extra.

Oh, don't forget the diablo chip or saleen power flash for another 10 horses to dial you in right...

dreams can come true boys and girls...i have done everything on this list except the cam and i am looking for an intake ( probably sean hyland) and a saleen power flash to tie everything up. this is of course after i do the subframe connectors and shock/strut setup. all of you bullittheads already have the suspension/brakes. i want to cut my coils down one and put offrack bushings and camber/caster plates then put the 18/9.5 inch bullitt rims on the back with 285/35/18, keeping the 17's on front with a 235/40/17. for the bullittheads, everything still looks stock but you will have a bullitt from hell......

·
Registered
467 Posts
ordered the video $24.95 episode #2105
800 4220064

jjrocks
Blk Bullitt #2754
Jim

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jjrocks on 2001-10-26 18:14 ]</font>

·
Registered
388 Posts
Does anyone know if they are going to be running that episode of Motorweek again anytime soon??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts