Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an excerpt from an old favorite movie. Recognize it?

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i698.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid698.photobucket.com/albums/vv341/RedHawk145/Video/FormulaRacing-desktop.flv">

·
Premium Member
13,824 Posts
Not sure of the film but the course is Monaco, which is where Sunday's race will be.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
hoosierblackbullitt said:
Not sure of the film but the course is Monaco, which is where Sunday's race will be.
Nailed it there. My favorite course to watch, I love those twisties down to the shore and then through the tunnel. The cars always sounded awesome flying through there.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bullitt4003 said:
The movie was "Grand Prix", 1966. I always thought that this movie was better than McQueen's "Le Mans".

Yep, that's right! 1966 was the year.

There was a local theater that was brand new. It was specifically built as a 'cinerama' theater, i.e., with a curved screen. Three projectors ran at the same time, each pointed at 1/3 of the screen. The result was a vivid display of certain movies filmed such as Grand Prix was. I recall that some people actually had to get up and run to the bathrooms because they were nauseous from the effects of this movie! The audio in the theater was enhanced, too. Such was the beginning of a new era of movie watching.

This movie is also the first movie I took a girl to on a date (I was fifteen years old)! :cool:

Drive-In movies came a couple years later. :badgrin:

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Zeke said:
Yep, that's right! 1966 was the year.

There was a local theater that was brand new. It was specifically built as a 'cinerama' theater, i.e., with a curved screen. Three projectors ran at the same time, each pointed at 1/3 of the screen. The result was a vivid display of certain movies filmed such as Grand Prix was. I recall that some people actually had to get up and run to the bathrooms because they were nauseous from the effects of this movie! The audio in the theater was enhanced, too. Such was the beginning of a new era of movie watching.

This movie is also the first movie I took a girl to on a date (I was fifteen years old)! :cool:

Drive-In movies came a couple years later. :badgrin:
Re; Grand Prix Three Screen Projection, that's how I first saw it in San Francisco,
It was way cool and I was 19.

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
I believe I saw it at the Downtown Detroit Cinerama theater. I was 10 or 11 at the time. This movie came out at the height of my slot car phase. My Dad bought my brother and I 1/24 scale Cox F1 slot cars for Christmas that year. My brother had the Ferrari and I got the BRM.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those slot cars were a lot of fun for us kids growing up. We modded the heck out of 'em, sometimes to the point that they didn't run as well as they did in their original form - oops! :lol:

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,321 Posts
I'm confused... :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts