Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there were to be a remake of the movie BULLITT, who do you cast in the role of Lt. Frank Bullitt?

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
Arkady001 said:
No...stop it now...no way, not ever...
Oh come on Rob. Why not?

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
40,829 Posts
Leonardo DiCaprio. And it will happen, silly though it is.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I just hate remakes - with a very few exceptions it's just because Hollywood is too damn lazy to pay screenwriters to come up with fresh ideas...
Ben Hur was a case in favour - William Wyler's film starring Charlton Heston, made in 1959, was the third version to be filmed and won 11 Oscars - only matched by Titanic and The Lord of The Rings Trilogy...

Bullitt is a case against: although the film is a long way far from perfect, it has achieved classic status: why remake a classic?
If they did a remake, then comparisons would be made with the original and what actor is insane enough to risk his career being unfavourably compared with McQueen?

The only actor of the current generation with enough depth to play the role, given the attention his performance would attract might (a very big might) be William Petersen...yes: him from CSI...he's not going to be playing Steve McQueen, remember: he's playing Lt Frank Bullitt...

I just don't want it to happen: for me this movie epitomises the 60's in a way that other films cannot manage and to bring the story up to date would spoil the whole effect: remember the tension as the wire-transfer machine chugs away with the passport photos of the suspects...how could you recreate that now with instant telecommunications? So many premises of the film depend on the lack of reliable communications that to modernise the story would kill it stone dead. Likewise, any gunman with any skill whatsoever would know that if you have a 'shotgun man with a back-up' then the back-up is there to put a extra bullet in the head of the target to make sure - think about it: two more shots would have rendered the whole movie redundant. The gunmen would have simply gone away leaving everyone in the hotel room dead: in California, one murder is as good as two, so the cop would have been finished off too...no witness.

In the 1960's I can just about accept that the gunmen were this incompetent - today? No way.

Keep it as is...no remake.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I, as many, would not want to see a remake. The question was just for fun...no comparison to McQueen....just who seemed to best look the part. My pick would be Daniel Craig.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I would'nt want a remake of this film.But if i did i would'nt want some of you as casting directors... WILLIAM PETERSEN:shock: HUGH LAURIE:shock: :shock: LEO DI:confused: :shock: COME ON GUYS YOU CAN DO BETTER THAN THAT ! MY pick would be a actor that known for being COOL........... :cool: PEE WEE HERMAN:eek: LOL

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
My wife and I talked about this recently.

Handsome Rob. or that new James Bond fellow....Daniel Craig.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I don't see a Brit in the role, no matter how good the accent is - Hugh Laurie? - we grew up with him as the buffoon in Blackadder so it's a no-way for us on this side of the Atlantic as far as he's concerned...I still watch House and expect him to lapse into nonsensical ramblings about trousers and sausages (see the show; it'll take too long to explain).

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
40,829 Posts
Well, since Steve would be 78 if he'd lived, how about...

[/url]

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
08 Shifter said:
I vote for me to play Lt.Frank Bullitt.:lol:

An the winner is mark:eek: ..aka...08 Shifter :rotfl:.....carry on :lol:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I could go for Daniel Craig, he definately has the quiet cool attitude to do it.

Otherwise, Vinnie Jones might be able to pull it off to, just his accent maybe a strike against him in this role.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.