Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love stories about cars people once had, and got rid of, or about cars you should have bought but didn't. Would like to hear others. Here's mine:

I was 15 (1978) riding somewhere with my dad. We pass a gas station with a 1970 (I think) Chevelle SS454 Convertible for sale. Orange with white stripes, white top and interior. As I recall, the car was in great shape and it was $1,500. I remember begging my Dad to buy it. Even then I knew it was special. Needless to say, he did not stop.

Also, when I was 7 or 8, my best friend's sister had a 1969 Trans Am convertible. White with Blue stripes. Many years later I saw a show that said there were only eight (8) made and those remaining were worth over $100,000.

Sorry so long, but I have a bunch of shoulda, woulda, coulda stories like that.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I am not going to be one of those old guys you talk to in the Wal-Mart parking lot lamenting the 440 Road Runner or Boss 302 that they used to have as they admire your car while their wife waits for them in the Camry. I have kept my '73 Barracuda and '70 Challenger and will not sell them, no matter how much of a pain moving them around becomes. I am not in a position to restore them right now, but they are garaged and preserved. As far as a car I wish I had bought, I could have got my hands on a '70 Barracuda Gran Coupe with a 383 and a 4spd. All original solid with just minor rust. All there, but in need of a resto. $1500 which I didn't have at the time.

·
Banned
975 Posts
Yes , we all have the same feelings about certain cars in our past. I wish that I had not sold my 1966 Mustang Group II Coupe. I still have one old American Classic Car. I know that some one will flame me but here I go. I still have a 1967 Camaro Z-28 that I purchased when I returned from Southeast Asia. It still has the smog pump, all stone stock. I hope that I can keep my Bullitt as long. But I know that my Grandson Justin will have it in 19 years. My 2 cents.
:bullitt:

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
I didn't know anything about cars until I was 21. My father doesn't know a thing about cars, so he never taught my brothers or me ANYTHING. To this day, he still wonders what that thing in my garage is. I was pregnant with my 2nd kid, and we bought a '73 Grande Mustang for $700. I'm not sure, but I believe the kid selling it wanted drug money...
I tried to get that car in the divorce, but I got the kids instead.:smile: :smile:
I will NEVER sell my '69 Mach.
Sometimes I miss the motor in the '73 (351C), but not the boat itself!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I missed out on a 1970 Boss 302 for 1700 when I was in college, and a 69 Boss 302 all original including paint for $10,000 about 8 years ago. It later sold for $25,000. I spent a whole day driving it, and never could come up with "$10 grand for a non-usable car when you dont have anything but a 100,000 mile truck for transportation." Also sold an 85 LX 5.0 that I bought new :sad: Thats another reason for my Bullitt---a not-so-common Hi-Po Ford that I bought NEW!!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't even want to talk about the three (3) Superbirds sitting in front of a trailer about 15 miles from my house in the 70's.

Trailer park is long gone but every time I pass where it used to be, I think about those three wings in a row.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
My father had a 67 Malibu SS. I get after him all the time for selling it. :grin: I would like to buy him a nice one for when he turns 55. My fiancé's father had a 67 GT350, 68 fastback, 70 Boss, Maserati (dont' know the year), 71 Stingray Vette (he's long sold all of them). Now he's lookin at getting a Stage II Roush...he does love the Bullitt!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
My dad had a '69 Dodge Charger R/T. Blue with black stripes on the hood. It had the "six pack" (I think that's what it was called. It had three two-barrel carberators) and some funky looking shifter. Dad put 4.10's in the rear end. That thing would move. I was probably only 9 or 10 years old and he would take me out on some deserted farm road and run through the quarter. I swear I could watch the gas gauge move towards "E" every time we made a run. I will never forget the sound that car made. He eventually had to sell it to help me pay for my first year of college. I don't think he has ever forgiven me for that and I had to pay for the rest of my college. He did sell it to a collector though who restored it and now takes to it shows, so it found a good home. I would love to find it and buy it back. It would look pretty cool next to the Bullitt.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I think that’s the only reason I would sell my Bullitt. Hopefully, his sacrifice didn’t go to waste, and you’ll be able to buy it back for him, again hopefully while he’s still young enough to enjoy it! But then again, he might be just as happy seeing you with it, if he doesn’t or can’t drive it any more.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
2 cars I wish I never sold.... 70 428CJ Grande Mustang with a 66 med riser sider oiler block 427 and a 70 429 Ram air 4 spd Ranchero.
Car I wish I had bought and didn't, 69 350Gt shelby fastback.
Car I would love to forget, a 84 Aerostar XLT mini van (Goobermoble)
Best car I ever owned 71 Torino 2dr 302eng

·
Registered
153 Posts
I guess I'm making up for all the past cars that I got rid of. I just bought a 1967 390GT 4spd Fastback totally restored and in perfect condition. Now I have 2 cars that I will never sell. The Bullitt and the 67. BlackBullitt#1768

1 - 12 of 12 Posts