Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Administrator
4,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford expands Takata driver-side airbag recall in U.S

Thu, Dec 18, 2014

DETROIT (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co (F.N) on Thursday expanded the recall of older-model Mustang cars, that have driver-side Takata airbags with inflators, to include about 502,500 vehicles.
Ford was one of five automakers asked by U.S. regulator National Highway Traffic Safety Administration last month to expand a recall of vehicles with possibly defective driver-side Takata Corp (7312.T) airbags beyond a limited area with high humidity.
Takata has said that extended exposure to high humidity could cause the inflators to malfunction, causing metal shrapnel to be launched at vehicle occupants when these airbags inflate.
Previously, Ford had recalled about 55,000 vehicles with possibly defective driver-side airbags. NHTSA requested the expanded recall after it learned of airbag inflator problems outside of the limited high-humidity area.
Driver-side airbag inflator incidents have been linked to at least five deaths, none in Ford vehicles. Ford said it was aware of one accident with an injury possibly related to malfunctioning airbags.
Now, the Ford recall includes 500,439 Mustangs from model years 2005 to 2008 and 2,050 of the niche two-seat sports car Ford GT from model years 2005 and 2006.
Of the vehicles to be recalled at the request of NHTSA, about 463,000 are registered in the United States and federalised territories, about 27,500 in Canada, about 7,600 in Mexico and about 4,500 outside North America.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Good info Ron, thanks for letting us know. I'll be watching for the letter from Ford on this one...

·
Registered
29,353 Posts
OP,

I'll have to have my local Ford Dealer check that out for sure.

Should have my 2008 Bullitt Mustang back in 2015 for sure I think.

tigerhonaker

·
Premium Member
13,779 Posts
Here is the Ford Recall website.

http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/RecallsPage

My 07 was not on there a week ago but it is now for the drivers side airbag. I have a 2011 Airbag cover that I love so looks like I'll be buying a 2011 drivers side airbag.
Thanks for that link. So far, looks like '09's are okay?

2009 Ford Mustang

Currently, there are no listed recalls for your vehicle.

A recall is an action by the Company to remedy a safety or emissions-related concern related to a vehicle defect or regulatory requirement. It may require that you return your vehicle to the dealer for service. If your vehicle is not affected, it may be because it was built at a different time or using a different part than the affected vehicles.

Be advised that this system tracks safety and emission recalls and customer satisfaction programs for which vehicles are subject to repair in the United States. The information provided is subject to change and update. There may be temporary delays in update of information on this site due to a number of factors. For the latest information regarding the status of your vehicle or any recall program of Ford Motor Company, please contact your local dealership directly or the Ford Customer Relationship Center.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Ron, and thanks for the Recall page obofglob

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
From the memo I saw, only 08's built through June or July of '07 are susceptible, so I'm guessing there will only be a small percentage of Bullitt's on the list.

·
Administrator
6,156 Posts
Thanks for posting, Ron. Was wondering if the recall list would expand out past the previously announced 2005-07 model years.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
I remember having a firmware update done on my airbags not long after I bought the B.

·
Registered
29,353 Posts
OP,

I'll have to have my local Ford Dealer check that out for sure.

Should have my 2008 Bullitt Mustang back in 2015 for sure I think.

tigerhonaker
Thanks-You Mr. R. Ream,

Ford, Lincoln & Mercury Recall Notices

Below you will find applicable recalls or field service actions, if any, for your vehicle.
Last updated Dec 19, 2014

2008 Ford Mustang

Currently, there are no listed recalls for your vehicle.

tigerhonaker

·
Administrator
4,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
20 Posts
712 is OK too! so far.. we'll just have to wait and see.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts