Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an article from a auto trade mag, Automotive Industries. The article is written by Ken Gross and discusses what Ford did right and GM did wrong with their pony cars. He references the Bullitt, albeit with old data.

Coupes de Grace
"Chevy should have never cancelled the Camaro," an annoyed New York Chevy dealer tells me, after hearing the news that GM will cancel production of its F-cars next
year. Besides offering Corvette performance for $20,000 less, Camaro was an icon for the Chevrolet brand for four decades. In its early years, the irresistible combination of V-8 performance and rear-wheel drive, wrapped in a sporty-coupe body and priced attractively, had buyers clamoring for Camaro (and its Pontiac sibling, Firebird).
Since 1967, Chevy's F-car has waged popular war on road and track with its arch nemesis and original inspiration, the Ford Mustang. But the F - cars struggled in recent years while Mustang enjoyed greater investment and a much more enthusiastic corporate focus. "Chevy never woke the car up," laments the dealer. "You could hardly tell a Z28 from an RS. It should have made the models more distinctive; that's what Ford did and that's why it's still selling Mustangs."
As sales volumes shrank, there wasn't much internal support to spend money on redesigns from volume-conscious top management But that wasn't the point with this car. Chevrolet's performance image has waned. Camaro is one model Chevy should keep, even if it means shifting production from St Therese to perhaps Bowling Green.
Like full-sized pickups, V-8-powered "pony cars" are a distinctly North American phenomenon. But unlike trucks, their appeal wavered when fuel prices spiked and insurance rates for their accident-prone, youthful buyers shot through the roof. And since the mid-1970s, imported coupes with better-balanced performance and fuel efficiency, sometimes flashier styling and more affordable insurance have steadily captured the youth market
Combined annual sales for the F-cars peaked at over 435,000 units way back in 1978. Since
then, Ford has done more to evolve the
Mustang and widen its audience, thus retaining a stronger image and market share. Sure, in the early 1990s GM updated the Z28 Camaro into a great car, but it then basically sat back as sales eroded. By decade's end, the substantially revamped Mustang offered performance packages that peaked with the outrageous 385 hp, 170-mph svr Cobra R. It even included a new independent rear suspension, a feature the F - cars needed but never received.
No matter that the top Camaro SS offers 320 hp and "only" costs about half the $54,000 Cobra R. Camaro sales continued to fade as Ford revived the Mustang yet again, this time with a special $27,000 Bullitt edition. In exclusive Dark Highland Green, it evokes the car in which Steve McQueen ran down a Dodge Charger through the hilly streets of San Francisco in one of Hollywood's most thrilling chase scenes. The Bullitt bristles with styling cues from the 1968 original- including a raucous exhaust note and trick 5 spoke wheels that ape the classic American Torque Thrust Ds. Privately, Ford concedes it's added about $8,000 in content for just $3,695 in additional sticker revenue. It will only make 6,500 copies and will sell every one of them, adding to the Mustang's luster.
By September's end, Mustang YTD unit sales were 126,161 down from 140,351 the previ- ous year, but still not shabby. There will always be a place for well-executed, hot rear-drive V-8 coupes and convertibles.
Naturally Chevrolet and Pontiac insist they'll keep the Camaro and Firebird nameplates for future considerations. It's hard to believe GM will bring out the limited-appeal Chevy SSR pick-up and swap it for potential Camaro units, considering what a redesigned Camaro, sharing Corvette bits, could do. As far as insurance goes, maybe GM should have considered underwriting policies years ago for careful younger drivers. It's too late now. Over to you, Mr. Lutz.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
"You could hardly tell a Z28 from an RS. It should have made the models more distinctive; that's what Ford did and that's why it's still selling Mustangs."

I don’t think Ford made them all that distinctive, I often have to look close to tell the difference between a V6, GT, and Cobra. As far as looks, The difference of the three basic mustang models are about the same as the difference between the Camaros and Firebirds models.

I wish GM would continue to produce their pony cars. I think the lake of competition may result with the Mustang being degraded to a probe like platform. (front wheel drive)

·
Registered
311 Posts
I agree... The 1999 & 2000 Mustang V6s, GTs, & Cobras (with the exception of the Cobra R) have exteriors that look way too similar. IIRC, the only exterior styling difference between V6 & GT for '99 & '00 is what emblem goes where. I think the changes that Ford did for 2001 between the V6 & GT were a start, and that will be even a little more different for the 2002 models.

True-Blue Bullitt #2294
Chicago, IL (proper)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BUL2294 on 2001-12-20 16:01 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I have not been paying much attention but I can't tell the difference between a base Camaro (if there is such a thing), an RS, Z28 or SS. They all look alike. One has rectangular exhaust tips, but don't know which. I can tell the difference between a V-6 Mustang and a GT, as well as the Bullitt. The Cobra is a little more subtle in it's design features.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I pretty much will say the same thing.

I look at the fender emblems on the Stangs to know what they are and the GM? They all look the same.

When I drive down the road and see another late-model Mustang, I say to myself "That ain't no Bullitt!!" :smile:

Scott D.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am very sorry but telling the differences between the camaro line is very easy......the v-6 will not have dual exhaust, it will not have wide tires.......the z28 will have the distinctive dual exhaust and be a little lower,also check for the tires.......the SS has that badass spoiler with the two bars in the middle,also check for the induction hood......as far as mustangs...the v-6 just looks wimpy.....the gt normally has the fog lamps and that awesome mustang sound that no v-6 can duplicate......the cobra has the cool "round" fog lamps......these are obvious distinctions between the cars which i know every knows about.....the body styles of the car are the same but only a true car enthusiast knows the difference........

·
Registered
437 Posts
I can easily tell the difference between a V6 Camaro/Firebird vs a V8 Camaro/Firebird. Can't say the same with the V6 and V8 Mustangs. Also, the Trans Am/WS6 has a totally different front bumper than the V6/Formula Firebird. Mustangs have no such distinction. Anyways, anyone who knows about cars would be able to tell differences between the models.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts