Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cool: Greetings from New Mexico Fellow Bullitt-heads!

I just wanted to post my first post, and tell the tale of how I stumbled across my 08Bullitt #5106 this past Labor Day weekend. The wife and I had an 06 Expedition Limited that we had no use for (no kids-high fuel costs) and we were upside down on of course. In the weeks leading up to Labor Day we had discussed getting a fun car and trade in our Expedition. It all started when we got a new Dodge Diesel pickup and the wife liked an 08 Charger SRT8-SuperBee they had in the showroom. The price was ridiculous and it was automatic. It was also a big sedan which to me was like an overpriced/over-optioned rental car. It was one out of 1,000 but it still didn’t do much for me and it was still way over priced at like 48k, the price of a GT 500. We also didn’t really want our payment to go up. Two days before Labor Day weekend we test drove a 08 Corvette because of the GM employee pricing. It was nice—really nice, but man; even with like $8,000 down the payment would still go up about 180 bucks per month. We didn’t really want to wipe out our savings and pay close to 200-bucks more per month, I wasn’t really crazy about it, and Chevrolet has done a good job of turning me off over the years. And that’s coming from a guy who was born and raise on Chevy’s! We kinda put that idea to rest as we got ready to go on a camping trip for the Labor Day weekend. We decided, that while the Vette was sweet, it was just a bad idea; not to mention I’m not much of Vette guy. On the Sunday of our camping trip, it rained so we were inside our Travel Trailer and I tuned in to the one local channel I could get on TV. On one of the commercials I saw where Ford brought back 0% financing for 72 months. So that of course got the wife and I’s minds going a million miles an hour. First we sympathized that we could’ve gotten the Lariat Super Duty we had wanted had we known they were going to bring back 0% for 72 months. I calculated that our Expedition payment could go down about a hundred bucks a month if we opted for a brand new Mustang GT 5spd. So I got on my cell phone and called one of the big Ford dealers in Abq, NM (Rich Ford) They told me they had like 11 Mustang GT’s and to come on down. “We’ll be here till 8 tomorrow night,” said the sales guy. So we decided to leave camp about noon that Monday to make it down there by 5-6 that evening. As we’re finally getting into Albuquerque, I get on the cell to make sure they still have a GT for us. Next thing I know the jerk says, oh we sold them all except for one Bullitt, and it’s at another dealer, and we close at six. “Okay, too bad, I guess you lost out on a sale,” I told him. Tomorrow would’ve been to late because of the 0% for 72 months expiring that evening. So I call the other big Ford dealer in town Bob Turner’s Ford. “Oh yeah, we have 3 Bullitts. I knew briefly about the Bullitts in 01 and little about the 08’s. We had owned a 03 GT Conv. a few years back so I wasn’t completely unknown to Mustangs, however, the GT 500 Shelby was what I had wanted, but I wasn’t too crazy about the looks of , just the horsepower. I hadn’t kept up with the latest news regarding the 08 Bullitt however, so it was a surprise to see a 08 for the first time. As we walked to where they were at out the dealer doors, they had the three parked facing each other as in a circle and man they looked cool. They had two black, and one dark highland green. One of the black ones was fully optioned with the ambient lights, shaker 1,000 and HID lights and I started looking at that one, but when I went to the side where the sun was hitting the green one, I was like “this one’s mine!” Upon first glimpse of that machine turned dash I was sold. My first car was a 1963 Chevy Impala SS which had a small amount of that machine turned aluminum. Of course the Bullitt’s dash looked so much better though! Once I got behind the wheel and we all went for a test drive, the wife, salesman and myself, and man was I sold! The car drove like a late sixty’s Camaro or Mustang! Ever since Gone in 60 Sec’s came out in early 2000’s, I had my heart set on a 67-68 Mustang Fastback, or 69 Camaro, but suddenly this car filled all those desires immediately! Plus I was surrounded by all this aluminum with a mean sounding exhaust and super comfortable seats, a wicked shifter, MAN was I SOLD right then!!! All that; and it was rated at 23mpg highway! Collector cars are great with their timeless lines, and performance engines, but that’s where the comfort ends. They are all kinda scary at high speeds on curves and such and not very comfortable. Plus you have to worry about rust and prior body work and such. Not to mention the high dollars one has to come up with for an old FastBack or 69 Camaro. After we test drove, it took a bit of negotiating to get them where I needed to be on my trade, but we got them. While they approved our credit we went on a second test drive, just the wife and I. At that point I knew it was ours! As we drove the car home that night I couldn’t get over how comfortable the car is and how well it handles. That was almost 2 weeks ago. All I can say is Man I love that car! It sits in my garage, and is obviously not a daily driver. It’s got about 400 miles so far. We tinted the windows so far, and that’s probably where the mods will end. I’ll probably wax it here pretty soon with either Mother’s or Zaino to intensify that killer green paint. And that’ s the story of how we set out to buy a 08 5spd GT, and fate steered us to the 08 Bullitt. Oh, and our payments actually went down! I couldn’t be happier. The GT 500 Shelby is one bada$$ piece of machinery, but the 500 horse power would’ve surely gotten me into jail before 4th gear. One other pet peeve I have with the GT 500 is the Paint scheme and wheels. There’s probably been like 5 times where I’ve seen one on the road and I tell the wife or my buddy “look there’s a Shelby GT 500!” only for it to turn out to be a 6cyl or GT with nice racing stripes. As for the Shelby GT 500 wheels, I feel like Ford could’ve tried a little harder. The original 60’s GT 500 wheels were so cool. The Bullitts stand out on their own. Then considering the history of the Bullitt, it’s just makes it such a cool thing to own. As one online article put it “40 Years of BadAss Subtlety.” I’ve noticed that the car is very stealth and most people don’t give it a second look, but the one’s who do stare tend to rubber neck rather severely. Of course when you go through the gears and RPM’s people stare from afar to see what that mean green machine is thundering down the blvd.

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Someone new to our ranks that knows how and what to appreciate about the Bullitt!

I'm glad you found the right car! I hope you enjoy many miles with your find!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yep, all to familiar

It's amazing to me how addicting the desire to want to drive the car becomes. Mine is not my daily driver either and I long for sunny days when I can role down the windows and take it for drive. When out driving, I always find myself watching others to see if they get the car and what it is. I'll get the nod of approval from other Mustang owners when I drive by. The best is when you moderately rev-it to take off and everyone in hearing distance looks to see where that exhaust note is comming from; it's a pretty nice feeling. :cool:

·
Registered
249 Posts
It's so much fun to drive that I use it for my business. The price of fuel is built into my fees so my clients end up paying for the gas and I get to drive for free!

·
Charles
13,307 Posts
Whiplash said:
It's amazing to me how addicting the desire to want to drive the car becomes. Mine is not my daily driver either and I long for sunny days when I can role down the windows and take it for drive. When out driving, I always find myself watching others to see if they get the car and what it is. I'll get the nod of approval from other Mustang owners when I drive by. The best is when you moderately rev-it to take off and everyone in hearing distance looks to see where that exhaust note is comming from; it's a pretty nice feeling. :cool:
I kept telling myself I was going to keep the miles down on the '08. Eight months and 11.5k mile later, it's now parked for a while. :cry:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the welcomes guys. I took it to the redline last night for the first time and when I shifted to second it squealed the tires. Man what ride! All I can say is we've had literally dozens of new cars and trucks, and there's something about this car. I've never been more excited about any other car this much. Last night a guy sticks his head out of his truck at the stop light and says "Is that a Bullitt?--I have an 01, and I want one of those;Nice Car!" I was like in our quaint little town, someone knows what it is! :cool:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whiplash said:
I know exactly what you mean. I hadn't driven it in all week so last night the wife and I decided to go for a spin after work. It's like when you haven't driven it in a while you are drawn to drive it! I was noticing last night, younger crowds hanging out looking at the car like trying to figure out what kind of Mustang it is. It's that dark stealth green paint and badgeless exterior with a killer exhaust note and wicked wheels that's almost mystical.:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
Great story!!!
Since I got my Bullitt I have been looking at my Garage!
I am taking down the selfs and repainting the walls. I am going to be putting a large Ford Racing logo on the back wall. And I will be putting vinyl tile on the floor.
Now I was thinking of a TV and refrigerator for my beer also.
I am looking forward to GOOD times ahead !!!!

·
Registered
930 Posts
haha it's called an 'office' or a 'den' in other cultures...wait til the Missus finds out...
A mate of mine even got a bunch of us over for a 'sangar-party' - while his wife was away, we went to his new house and constructed a fully-equipped 'command-bunker' at the end of his yard just inside the woods that bordered his property. Faced it back towards the house and equipped it with lights, fridge, tv and a sofa.
Took her three months to figure out where he went when he needed some 'down-time...
She went utterly ballistic...lol

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Great story be safe and enjoy I to was a chevy man for 45 years nope not any more

·
Registered
185 Posts
Great story!I too have the Bullitt addiction.I told myself I'd keeps the miles low but I just have to drive it every day.After a hard day at work while heading home I always hit the freeway at about 3000 rpms in third gear and nail it(after checking for cops).Between the acceleration and the exhaust note I always forget about the crap at work.What a great car!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the all the compliments and welcomes! I really can't get over how much I love this car myself! It's like the other night the wife and I really freaked this guy out. Another story--I'll try and keep it short. About a month ago we bought a brand new Dodge Cummins Diesel truck and the wife liked the Charger SuperBee SRT-8 in the showroom. A month later we were hounding them to pay off our old truck, they were like sitting on it. So finally a month later to the day they finally pay off our truck of course after we had already sent out a payment to be safe and so there's like $460 that they owe us for the payment. Did they call us?--NO. So I called them at the beginning of last week and told them to pay me. Come Friday still no check in the mail so I called them up and told them, "I haven't gotten my check, I'll be there tomorrow (Saturday) and you will have my check or else! Next thing you know, they call me back "we apologize, we can have so and so deliver it tonight, he lives by your town." I'm like okay, I'll meet him. I didn't expect them to call me so out we were on a Friday night on the Bullitt and the guy calls me on my cell and tells me he has the check. So we meet and he says "Wow!--Nice car!" I told him I would've bought the Charger Super-Bee but your boss had too sit on his ass, so I got this instead, and am SO glad I did. So when I take off from the gas station where we had met, I hit it almost to the red-line in 1st and as I shift to 2nd, it squeals and this kid like drops his jaw. Such a cool scenario. I'm sure he went back and told his boss they had a brand new Bullitt! That's the last time I do business with a small time dealer. When I traded my Expedition for my Bullitt at a big Ford dealer, they paid off the Expedition in 2 days!:cool:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mcbullit, I know what you mean. Last night after work we had to go to the wife's aunts house to deliver a b-day present. Of course I suggest we take the Bullitt and it's like 10 miles away on this winding mountain road, and all I can say is Man what a stress reliever on the open highway. Much better and healthier than drinking!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yep, they're fun. Matt, I've got a Cummins Dodge diesel as well. Had it since '06....tons of torque and I was getting almost 30 mpg before I added a mondo front end/bumper replacement.

If you haven't already, check out Smarty Jr for your truck made my Mad's Electronics. I got it about a year ago after doing a lot of research and lurking in all the forums. A great mileage and power adder that won't reduce the reliability of your truck. And have fun in your garage.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.