Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here goes my story from today:

I am in the process of having my kitchen remodeled and hired a contractor. He has a grown ass helper helping him. The cabinets got delivered in boxes and are being held in the garage between my 69 and Bullitt. My late husband Bill had a dual light bar that he hung above the cars for when he worked on them. The helper's job today was to go into the garage and put together some of the cabinets to get them ready to hang.

He decides to pull down the metal light bar and proceed to put it on the hood of my 69 without any added padding/protection down first! Who does that! He must have thought he could use the extra light while assembling cabinets. No biggie but just put a towel down first for God's sake! There are towels all over in the garage in plain sight.

So I go out to the garage after they both left to get my trike out to ride after it cooled down this evening. I saw the light bar sitting on the hood of my 69 and thought "What the hell?" I gently picked it up and instantly saw the chips down to the metal made by the light bar and a long ass scratch about 6 inches long in the hood. The chips are in multiple panels too.

I have to confront my nice contractor guy about his helper when he gets here in the morning. I am sure he has insurance to cover something like this, don't you? He is licensed and bonded and has his own business of remodeling homes.

The light bar I set down on the vinyl top of my car for time being. He better believe me!

His helper probably isn't a "car guy," but still! Put a fricking towel down first on any car!

·
Car Whisperer
21,317 Posts
he should have insurance for that. what an idiot to assume he could use the car like that.
if not that, then your homeowners may cover it.

·
Car Whisperer
21,317 Posts
your welcome :) :)

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My contractor said his helper for sure didn't set the lights on top of the hood of my 69 and that he probably knocked it down accidentally when he was lifting cabinets in their boxes overhead. Contractor said when he went to the garage before he left he did not see the light bar sitting on top of my car and that his helper probably knocked the lights loose from where Bill had attached them to the beam above my car and that it probably fell to my car later as it was loose. I don't know about that but makes sense or else you would think the helper would have said something if he knew the light bar had fallen on my car.

Anyway, contractor is going to pay for repair by my body/fender man that we have used on all of our cars for 20 years now and not turn it into his insurance. The chips he said are from the light bar coming crashing down onto my hood.

Body shop is so busy I can't even get in for an appraisal until 10 days and he is booked up for repairs until October but body shop said that since I am a good and long time coming customer that he would fit me in sooner. :)

My body shop had done repairs on the Cobra R, my 76 Mustang 11, twice with the Bullitt, our RV twice, F350 we had to haul the R to shows long distance, and one other vehicle. So yes, we (I) am a good customer.

·
Premium Member
5,960 Posts
And the “Helper probably hit the light and loosened it and it fell later”!!!! Boy that’s a crock!!
At least his insurance or your homeowners will pay for the car repairs. If there’s a copay that contractor would pay for it for sure.

·
Car Whisperer
21,317 Posts
good deal, at least it sounds like he is taking ownership for the damage.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, he will pay the deductible and yes, he is taking ownership. He wanted me to get an estimate that day - yesterday- so he could settle his mind a little bit. I called for when it would be a good time to take the 69 in to get looked at. He is booked up and short on help (of course) so he can't even look at it until 10 days later! He is booked up for body shop work until October but he said that since Bill and I were very good customers, which we were/are, he would squeeze me in. :)

·
Car Whisperer
21,317 Posts
that's great. will your paint guy at least let you come by and get the estimate. that way, your at fault guy can know what it is and maybe he will pay up before months go by and he doesn't respond.

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I call the BS flag on that light bar falling from that distance & only chipping/scratching the paint. Looks fairly solid (I have similar one) & it would make more damage that what you see (e.g. dents/dimples/etc.). Either way, glad your contractor's taking ownership & bet his eyes pop when he gets the bill. The hood & fender will need to match rest of car & that's a true talent which doesn't come cheap. My brother's an expert in mixing/matching colors (used to own body shop)...lots of trial/error/time to get it perfect.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I call the BS flag on that light bar falling from that distance & only chipping/scratching the paint. Looks fairly solid (I have similar one) & it would make more damage that what you see (e.g. dents/dimples/etc.). Either way, glad your contractor's taking ownership & bet his eyes pop when he gets the bill. The hood & fender will need to match rest of car & that's a true talent which doesn't come cheap. My brother's an expert in mixing/matching colors (used to own body shop)...lots of trial/error/time to get it perfect.
He will pay cash and wants me to ask my body man if he can make a discount. He is expecting me to get just a "chip and scratch fix" I don't know what to call it and not an over the wall fix it like I want. 20 years ago Bill and I had a $7,000 paint job done on that car and it has been in plenty of shows in the past with trophies. I am not going to start now doing" just to make it look good" fixes. My 69 has been to the same body/fender guy for 20 years several times from grocery cart dings/dents to rock chips so I am sure they have the color to match the Royal Maroon from 1969.

I told my contractor that it is a classic show car and I don't want them to just "fix it." I told him to expect the bill to be a few thousand and his eyes lit up. Poor guy.....

Yes Tim, I have an appointment on the 19th to get an estimate but he is booked up to get her in right away. I hope my contractor will pay me up front.

·
Premium Member
5,960 Posts
You go girl!! Hold his feet to the fire!!! :devilish:He might need to get a new helper before all this is over and done with:eek:

Reactions: VIC-TIM

·
Premium Member
2019 DHG, performance package
32 Posts
Here goes my story from today:

I am in the process of having my kitchen remodeled and hired a contractor. He has a grown ass helper helping him. The cabinets got delivered in boxes and are being held in the garage between my 69 and Bullitt. My late husband Bill had a dual light bar that he hung above the cars for when he worked on them. The helper's job today was to go into the garage and put together some of the cabinets to get them ready to hang.

He decides to pull down the metal light bar and proceed to put it on the hood of my 69 without any added padding/protection down first! Who does that! He must have thought he could use the extra light while assembling cabinets. No biggie but just put a towel down first for God's sake! There are towels all over in the garage in plain sight.

So I go out to the garage after they both left to get my trike out to ride after it cooled down this evening. I saw the light bar sitting on the hood of my 69 and thought "What the hell?" I gently picked it up and instantly saw the chips down to the metal made by the light bar and a long ass scratch about 6 inches long in the hood. The chips are in multiple panels too.

I have to confront my nice contractor guy about his helper when he gets here in the morning. I am sure he has insurance to cover something like this, don't you? He is licensed and bonded and has his own business of remodeling homes.

The light bar I set down on the vinyl top of my car for time being. He better believe me!

His helper probably isn't a "car guy," but still! Put a fricking towel down first on any car!

View attachment 81058
View attachment 81059
View attachment 81060
Do not pay one cent for the work that they have done in your kitchen, until some type of agreement can be made regarding the damage to your car. Total fucking moron to do that! That has me pissed and it ain't even my car:mad:

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do not pay one cent for the work that they have done in your kitchen, until some type of agreement can be made regarding the damage to your car. Total fucking moron to do that! That has me pissed and it ain't even my car:mad:
I know, right! Thanks for your concern! My contractor said I could take the amount of the body shop charges (including deductible) to fix my 69 off of the remodel bill so I am thinking about that also. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hope he gave you the price of the remodel up front! Otherwise he'll probably just adjust the price of the remodel up to compensate for the body shop bill. I used to work for PPG and the body shop will probably have to do a blend into the other body panels surrounding the damage if he's going to paint the whole hood and fender. GOOD LUCK with the repairs!

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You go girl!! Hold his feet to the fire!!! :devilish:He might need to get a new helper before all this is over and done with:eek:
I hope he gave you the price of the remodel up front! Otherwise he'll probably just adjust the price of the remodel up to compensate for the body shop bill. I used to work for PPG and the body shop will probably have to do a blend into the other body panels surrounding the damage if he's going to paint the whole hood and fender. GOOD LUCK with the repairs!
I did not get a quote for the remodel. I think I will just take the cash up front and then get the hood fixed when the body shop can get me in. Thanks!

Good Gawd, I hope he doesn't have to repaint the whole hood/fender! That would be a lot of cash to pay out for my worker.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts