Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a cross-post that I posted on BON because my paint had the same issue as # 3696 and my car is only 2 away at 3699 ! I looked into my paint and saw it is Metallic !:

Just got back from the Ford dealership body shop & guess what ? I have the only black METALLIC Bullitt in existance (unless 3698 and 3697 comes forward) Apparently, on our run (including 3696's, 3697's, 3698's and 3699's (mine) they didn't clear out the metallic and shot our cars ! The guy at the body shop saw it and said a contour SVT came in with the same sh*t. He said that he will warranty the paint and re-shoot it, but said that I had "think hard" about it. He said that if they re-shoot it, the paint won't be as good because they can't "heat" the vehicle like the factory can. (if they got it that hot, it would melt the interior !) What am I to do ? It would be cool if they replaced it like they did for 3696, but I doubt that would happen here. It would be cool if the metallic was constant and consistant through the car, but alas, it is not ! Please offer suggestions !
Kurt

·
Registered
444 Posts
Your guy at the body shop is right, sort of, you will never be able to get the same finish, its not because of heat portion but rather because when painting more often than not robots are used that will give a consistency that a body shop cannot duplicate. That and the fact that at the factory the paint has yet to be exposed to the elements. The main reason the car are heated is to accelerate the curing process.

Your in a tough spot. If its not that noticable I'd keep it for the rarity or see if Ford can replace their goof.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to keep it for rarity ! IF the finish was consistent ! (i.e. the roof has more metallic in it than the trunk or hood !)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have Bullitt #1741 which is a black finish and when seen under the right lighting has a metalic finish to it especially on the top surfaces(hood, trunk, roof). This is fallout from sitting outside the factory impurities settle on the new finish and the rail dust from the trains as it's being shipped the the dealer. I am also stuck. I don't know as of yet what I am going to do. Probably live with it or just sell it now that I know Steve Saleen won't do a S-281 conversion package because Roush Engineering is behind the development of the Bullitt.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Unless it was truly ugly, I think I'd pretty much like that. Whether it does anything for the future value or not, it's that sort of one-off thing that I think will be cool for you or whoever owns it at the time to tell people in 30 years. "one of four...."

Joe

·
Registered
280 Posts
Kurt,

Wow, I guess I didn't look close enough at your Bullitt when it arrived. I certainly didn't notice the metallic variations.

Makes me want to go out and inspect my Mustang very closely for defects.

My opinion on your paint: don't re-shoot the car's paint. The factory paint is the toughest & best paint available. Even the best paint & body shops would be hard pressed to even come close to factory paint. 99.9% of the people that look at #3699 won't ever notice the inconsistency.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Kurt,
I personelly think, If the paint is good Quality then leave it. When the car is 20 years old it will in all the Mustang Mags, that are writing about factory goofs. A 71 Boss 351 car comes to mind with a Mach1 hood paint job vice the Bosse's complete backout. That car has been in mustang monthly alot.
Just my 2 cents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts