Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't sure exactly where to post this one so I'll try here. When I bought my Bullitt the previous owner, beleive it or not, put a spoiler on it:eek:
My first thoughts were to find someone with a Black lid with no spoiler and trade but i would really like to keep the original lid. Do you know what the typical cost would be to have the 4 holes filled in and repainted so I can get this back to looking proper again?

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
I would try to get it changed out. It will probably be a lot cheaper, if you can find one.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
that sucks :(

From seeing other threads on here a few people had a lot of problems with the holes coming back after a short amount of time. There would be little divets showing. The last I read, like over a year ago, some guy had done it 3 times and felt he finally had hte solution but I never remember him updating the thread with his findings.

I would go to a good body shop and discuss the situation.

Another good option is to find someone with a V6 and swap trunk lids. Be sure to swap the key & badges of course ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know of a good resource where I might have a chance of swapping this lid out for a proper one? Thanks for all the input by the way.
The previous owner also took the original rims off too but at this point I'm more concerned with the spoiler than anything else.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
critter said:
Does anyone know of a good resource where I might have a chance of swapping this lid out for a proper one? Thanks for all the input by the way.
The previous owner also took the original rims off too but at this point I'm more concerned with the spoiler than anything else.
local mustang club forums
stangnet - regional forum or fs/t forum
corral - regional forum or fs/t forum
etc

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Actually 99-04 will work. I just had to buy one :frown: . Don't forget to check craigslist! The one I just bought (not the right color) cost me 200.00

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
The only proper and lasting way to have the holes filled is to have pieces welded in and the surface smoothed. (welds ground). Anything else will be temporary.
By the time that's done and paid for you may as well have just found a replacement trunk lid.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
RCSignals said:
The only proper and lasting way to have the holes filled is to have pieces welded in and the surface smoothed. (welds ground). Anything else will be temporary.
By the time that's done and paid for you may as well have just found a replacement trunk lid.
99-04 trunks are composite & fiberglass (or just composite)

problem is matching the shrink/grow of the composite trunk with the filler.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
It's hard to weld fiberglass! Yes the trunk lid is fiberglass! all 4 corners of mine are cracked and have fibers sticking out everywhere!

RCSignals, I didn't mean to come across as an ass! I re-read the above and wanted to make sure you didn't take it that way!

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
Before finding my Bullitt in Florida, I looked at two Bullitts for sale locally. They both had the holes drilled into the lid and were plugged with plastic plugs. I suppose that short of filling the holes and or buying another lid, that is the best of all "temporary repairs". Finding one without the holes drilled and plugged became my mission. I have no idea why people felt it necessary to add that dumb wing a wingless Mustang. I guess they want the full ricer effect... :lol:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Lots of 6 bangers in wrecking yards........ just gotta find one that came wingless with front end damage.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
bluebullitt2180.1 said:
It's hard to weld fiberglass! Yes the trunk lid is fiberglass! all 4 corners of mine are cracked and have fibers sticking out everywhere!

RCSignals, I didn't mean to come across as an ass! I re-read the above and wanted to make sure you didn't take it that way!
No problem. I thought they were aluminum actually. Fibreglas is a problem then. A good fibreglas man can repair it, but that's going to cost too.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
DavidMidgley said:
Before finding my Bullitt in Florida, I looked at two Bullitts for sale locally. They both had the holes drilled into the lid and were plugged with plastic plugs. I suppose that short of filling the holes and or buying another lid, that is the best of all "temporary repairs". Finding one without the holes drilled and plugged became my mission. I have no idea why people felt it necessary to add that dumb wing a wingless Mustang. I guess they want the full ricer effect... :lol:
Because to many people it's just another Mustang. Same with all the discussion of what people expected the '08 to turn out like instead of what it is.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The wing that is on there now is just a standard, off the shelf wing from a GT. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I always keep an eye on Craigslist and will probably add junk yard diving to my list now:smile: . I'm determined to get this god for saken wing off of my car!!

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
critter said:
The wing that is on there now is just a standard, off the shelf wing from a GT. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I always keep an eye on Craigslist and will probably add junk yard diving to my list now:smile: . I'm determined to get this god for saken wing off of my car!!
OK, remove the wing and add plugs. I'm sure that Autozone or O'Rielly's has some. But you'll need to have the wing off to find a plug that fits. If they don't have one, then look in the electrical parts aisle at Home Depot/Lowe's... You can make it go away that simply. IMHO, some black plugs are better than a wing that you don't want, and most people except Bullittheads and Mustang fanatics look closely. :smile:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts