·
Premium Member
18,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the proud owner of DHG #3875. I am also
the proud owner of a 1991 Mazda Miata that
was purchased new 12 years ago. It is my daily
driver and is a trouble free roadster.
Does this make me a "ricer"? What is a "ricer"?
Is a "ricer" anyone with a Japanese car or
does it need to be modified (cosmetics and/or
performance)? I had never heard the rice term
before coming here. Curious. :smile:

BTW, my Miata is 100% stock.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PY on 2002-02-22 11:40 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
STOCK? Then not a ricer just an import driver.
I always run across stuff that the Miata drivers have on the web and they seem to be pretty level headed and do their homework.

·
Registered
765 Posts
IMHO a "Ricer" is someone who tries to make their car something it is not, I.E. a Honda Civic "Type R" ..hmmm well they make a type R in JAPAN and it IS a mean liitle thing but they have NEVER been sold in the states. Somebody that puts a 4-foot wing on the back of their completely STOCK (insert car here) or has 43 stickers for performance parts that they DO NOT OWN ! "Rice" doesn't just apply if it is an import I have seen MANY "Riced-Out" domestics as well .. Neons, Cavaliers, SunFire's, Saturn's and an occasional Mustang :eek: hell I've even seen a few Oldsmobiles !! :eek: :eek: Well it's definately "Not your Father's Oldsmobile" :lol: I like ricers - it's fun :smile: and they are usually the only ones who'll even TRY to race

·
Premium Member
18,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the posts! :smile: This is great
information for me since I am not familiar
with the "rice" term. Maybe I am too old! :lol:

·
Premium Member
18,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have seen some very fast imports at the
local drag strip! Some doing the 1/4 mile
in the 10s! Obviously they are heavily mod-
ified...seems like nitrous is a standard
mod for them. I see the little tanks in the
backs of the cars.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
They need a lot of mods to get times like that. Imports can be made to be pretty fast...some come stock pretty fast. 'Ricing' originated with the Japanese model cars...hence the term. It spread to all forms of vehicle transportation... :smile:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey PY, I sold my 91 Miata when I got the Bullitt. What a great car. I had it for almost 10 years and put 130K miles on it. No problems at all. Just regular maintenence and it was great. Each time a component needed replacing, I just upgraded. Tokika shocks & springs, kevlar clutch, splitfire plugs, K&N, Borla exhaust, big brakes, short throw shifter. And amazingly, not a decal, oversized exhaust or wing in sight! Does that make me a ricer or not? :-B

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not all guys with JDM spec cars are Ricers! I have a Friend that built a Type R civic to the Japan Specs and it is a killer performance car. In fact it smokes 5.0 GT's and it is bone stock Type R motor no Turbo no big wings no body kits, he just imported all the JDM parts and bolted them on to the car. He is now turning a 240SX into a 180SX and that car will run any Bullitt anyday. Everyone has their own tastes. I have a 1978 Fiat spider with Racing seats, roll Bar, custom Ram Air and coolign system, shaved and lowered on Stock Blackie rims. It is a killer sports car. I also have a 1972 MGB that is getting turned into a 1 seat racing inspired street car with a turbo 4 cyc in it. Then there is my 1990 Mustang that I am thinking of turning into a parts car. Ricers are no differnt the 50's hot roders with all their dumb stuff that did not do anything but looked cool.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Hey PY,

While I was in Georgia visiting, I stopped by my former neighbors house. He took me down stairs to show me his new toy. A 500HP / 6 Speed Mega Monster Miata. It’s a 5.0 Ford engine modded, with a supercharger. I had one picture left in my camera that had a flash, and snapped this picture of his engine. I was disappointed he didn’t offer me ride.

·
Premium Member
18,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FASTBULLITT...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have been thinking of doing that for years!
I have never met anyone or seen pictures of
this mod, until now! Thanks for the pic!!!
When I purchased my new '91 there were one
or two companies that would put V-8s in a
Miata for 10-15K (Rod Millen?).

Too bad you didn't get a ride! I bet you
were bummed...I would be! :lol:

I would be scared too! :lol:

Again, thanks for the pic!

Did your friend do this mod himself or have
someone else do it? He must have some big
"meats" back there to hook up with!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PY on 2002-02-22 18:51 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
18,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bullitt0093...
I would never call an Army Ranger a ricer.
You might sneak over to my garage and put
a bunch of ricer stickers all over my DHG
Bullitt when I wasn't looking! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PY on 2002-02-22 18:36 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Yeah I was disappointed. I think next time I’m in town with my Bullitt, I’ll sneak into the old neighborhood, and do a burn out right in front of his house. Everyone will think it was him, hehe.
But on second thought, I didn’t ask for ride. So maybe I will go back over and just ask, instead of waiting for him to offer.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
HOLY COW what was he thinking!!!!!!!
thats crazy! I would think that the car would fall apart when standing on it.
Warning: do not use all of right FOOT!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've seen the 5.0 Miata's at the drag strip. You can really only go straight. All that weight up fromt just kills your handling. I thought about going with a turbo or super chager for mine. Plenty of power AND keep the great handling!

·
Registered
299 Posts
We just sold a turbo-miata a few months ago. Bell Engineering Group realy has that package down. We were getting nearly 200HP out of it on about 8# of boost. That little car would rock! 90K trouble and maintenance free (turbo'd) miles. Total cost of the mod was about $3500.00. Money well spent. If I thought the 4.6L in our Bullitt's had the bottom end, I'd drop a turbo in it.

·
Premium Member
18,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:lol: A red neck Canadian? :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts