Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so it's not really a dilemma of any real type; it's a 'first world' issue.

I've had my daily driver '09 GT500 for about 4.5 years at this point and as is typical w/me, it's time for a change. Nothing wrong w/the GT500, still runs like a clock. I want something different but I also think it's time for the GT500 to go... Maybe. Perhaps. Possibly.

I've shopped and shopped and up until a few days back, had it narrowed down to used, low mileage (as in less than 15k on the odo) models of a '14 Roush RS3, the '13 Boss in GHIG or Grabber Blue (the latter being an apparent unicorn) and the '19 Bullitt in DHG. The Roush RS3 I had been eyeing for a loooong time was finally bought by someone else (bastages, as I really liked that car) so that now leaves me w/the latter 2 still under consideration.

I found a gorgeous, completely stock GHIG Boss 302 (w/an activated Track key!) and have already contacted the dealer. Sadly, the dealer is WAY outta state, like halfway across the country, but this ain't my 1st rodeo in this type buying process, having found my GT500 in Dallas, TX. The price, which would include shipping, is not unreasonable & it is a fairly exclusive model/color combo. I like this Boss for a number of reasons but its uniqueness is a high qualifier. Ain't nobody on the Treasure Coast driving a GHIG Boss 302!

But the Bullitt also calls to me. As a former '08 Bullitt owner, I have incredibly fond memories of that ride and having test driven a new one, I fell in love w/the exhaust, magneride and a/c cooled seats- all simply fantastic. The car is light years ahead of any S197 iteration, Boss included, in regards to overall quality, but....

The Bullitt is likely going to cost me- according to my shopping so far- close to $10g's more than the Boss. So the question I gotta ask myself is, "Am i going to get $10gs more enjoyment out of the Bullitt than the Boss, especially since I know I'll be doing the basic bolt-on mods to the Boss (about $3g's) to improve it's basic performance?"

And I don't know.

Prior to my GT500, I owned a Track Pack '14 GT, a car I still deeply regret selling. On most accounts, w/the exception of the intake, oil cooler and some horsepower, it was basically the same car as the Boss, and at the end of the S197 cycle, the best of that generation Mustang. So even w/out having driven a Boss, I kinda sorta know what to expect.

So I'm looking for input. I'm giving up '09 GT500 levels of overall quality, power, performance & panache for either Boss level power, performance & uniqueness or DHG Bullitt power, performance & modern amenities. No, I'm not interested a '10-14 GT500, nor am I interested in a modded '13-14 Track Pack or '15-19 GT of any sort- just these two specific models.

Anyone care to offer their thoughts?
Lee

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Not sure this will help all that much, but I do have input about some of the factors involved. I still have my '08 Bullitt and my wife has a 2013 GHIG Mustang GT convertible that she has, on several occasions, considered trading in on a new Bullitt. She hasn't, partly because she doesn't want the car payment, but also because she likes the way the car stands out. You can see (I have seen) that car from a quarter of a mile away. The color stands out. Oddly enough though, we've had more people turn in front of us or try to change lanes on top of us than in any car we've ever had. The Bullitt will get noticed, but not nearly as much.
We also looked at trading her car in on a GHIG Boss a few years back, but she was not able to adjust the Recaros in that car to a useful driving position (She's 5'2").
She really likes the '19-20 Bullitt and I agree it is a fantastic car, but my heart is with the S197. She would choose the Bullitt; I would choose the Boss.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve had a 12 BOSS 302 and a 14 GT500. I now have a 19 Bullitt. The Bullitt is closer to the BOSS than the GT500. The biggest difference is of course HP. As much as I love HP, I looked at getting back into a BOSS. Getting a BOSS felt like I’d be going backwards. The Bullitt offers some exclusivity like the BOSS so I like that. The Bullitt handles way better than both. I love the configurable dash and the active exhaust of the Bullitt and the magnaride. The one downfall was the price. You can catch a decent BOSS in the 30s but a Bullitt is well into the 40s and then some. I have no regrets and if I feel like I need more HP, I can drop 8k and have 700+ hp.
Good luck with your decision and hope this helps. I have zero regrets!

·
Administrator
6,299 Posts
Darn good question...the '19 Bullitt is the most expensive and highest horsepower Mustang (and car) I've ever bought. I had a '12 Boss 302 on order but backed out when my '01 Bullitt didn't sell. I'd still ADD a Boss 302 to my collection in a heartbeat. I wouldn't replace my '19 Bullitt with it though, even though it would now be less expensive. The GHIG color is unique and expressive but the DHG for the current Bullitt is beautiful. I've received a lot of positive comments from people, Mustang enthusiasts or otherwise. The exhaust sounds on both are impressive but I dig the active exhaust feature. My '19 doesn't have MagneRide but if you put a premium on handling, it's a bang-for-the-buck capability.

In short, I would get a '19 Bullitt over the Boss 302, but it's darn close. I justify the extra coin because I want a Bullitt collection.

Good luck with you decision.

·
Premium Member
14,122 Posts
Appearance wise, the cars are worlds apart. So, do you prefer the stripes, spoilers, etc. look or do you prefer the "sleeper" look of the Bullitt? Nothing wrong with either choice. Guess I'm just tossing more to consider into the mix.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still prefer the looks of the S197 gen over the S550 gen. To my eye, the 05-09 gen S197, represent the last of the broad shouldered, square bodied, muscular looks I associate w/the Stang as a muscle car. The car just looks tough, ready to rumble. The '10-14 is one step off that but much more refined. But w/the S550 gen, I've never gotten use to the goldish mouth front end and the elongated, sloping rear of the latter. To my eye, it always reminds me of a modern BMW having mated w/a Fusion, w/the S550 as the end result. It's not a bad looking car but It doesn't sing Stang to me, even the Bullitt version.

There are aspects of the S550's overall quality & performance that are head & shoulders above the S197 gen that could cause me to overlook its appearance flaws. And if you dress up the S550, say in the GT350 version or a Roush RS3, the visual flaws become less of an issue. Undress it, as in the Bullitt, and that gaping maw of a front end becomes even more distinctive.

Ach, I dunno. It's emotion vs reason right now.

·
Administrator
6,299 Posts
Boss 302 it is :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have two 2008 Bullitts (one Green & one Black) and a 2013 Boss. The 2019/2020 Bullitt is a great vehicle but the Boss is the pinnacle of the S197 generation. Before you make a decision, I think you should drive a Boss. It is a special experience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a 2012 SVT PP GT500 which was an absolute BLAST, but I sold because I thought I was ‘done’ with performance cars....WRONG!
I want another performance Mustang.
I almost bought a Boss before I bought my 500....
I don’t need that much HP to have fun, so I think the Boss or Bullitt would work nicely for me.
Now budget comes into play...lol

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
For me it would be the Boss 302. The engine itself is a collector item with unique cams, head work, HD valve train, forged pistons, sintered rods, upgraded oil pan, runner type intake, etc. Adjustable shocks, and unique suspension tuning, plus all the other Boss stuff. The Boss S-197 chassis is >400 pounds lighter than the S-550. So, power to weight is virtually the same. Granted the 19 Bullit with IRS and bigger tires has higher grip levels, but for me the transmission ratios are a disappointment. It all depends on what you like. I did up a base 11 GT for a friend, with 3:73's, for the track and with a full FP suspension, tune, X pipe and GT 500 mufflers, it keeps up with the new stuff. Good luck with your search.

·
BULLITT In The Chamber
97 Posts
If My '08 was paid off, I would buy a black/red '12 Laguna Seca, or black/silver '13 Seca. Ever since the '12 black/red Seca came out I've wanted one. I was driving next to one a couple of years ago and couldn't stop gawking at it. The license plate was GUNASCA.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd go with the Bullitt, but I have always preferred a new car with full warranty, than a used one. But also consider the Bullitt is probably going to do everything better than the older car as well. I happen to like the look of the Bullitt better than older Mustangs too, but that's a matter of personal taste. I like the stealth look, plus the creature comforts. The last consideration might be the transmission, but I actually like my MT-82 D4 better than the many Tremecs I've owned. But again, it's a matter of personal preference. Good luck :).

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good thoughts all, thank you. I'm now on the rational side of the argument and asking myself if the Bullitt will provide me w/$10g's more enjoyment than the Boss will. The answer- I dunno. And as w/every Stang I've owned since '88, the car will be my daily driver so no Laguna Seca model or Recaro-based cars for me.

I've already got about $3g's in basic bolt-on mod ideas lined up in my head for the Boss to make her mine. There is also a limited production uniqueness to that car & if I could find one to my tastes in Grabber Blue, this conversation would likely be over... but those are true unicorns. The GHIG one I've been watching would fit the bill too; if you've never seen that color on the Boss in person, man- it just pops in the sunlight. Very distinctive. It would be the only one I've seen on the Treasure Coast, perhaps down into Palm Beach County too.

I almost never buy new but even w/a used Bullitt, I'd still be covered for warranty for several years.

Prior to my '09 GT500, I owned a '14 GT Track Pack which was essentially a Boss w/out the intake or cooling package. I still regret selling that car as it had enough overall performance than I'd ever need/want/use. I know I'm going to lose the GT500's bottomless well of torque going to either the Boss or Bullitt but it's an acceptable tradeoff. I'm sure than front end handling has got to be far lighter.

I'm guessing if a super sweet deal appeared on a Bullitt I'd go that way- the heated /cooled seats, the magneride alone are killer- but the used car market has tightened up so much in the covid era, that prices have remained pretty stable. But I really think I'm leaning Boss right now.

Again, thanks for the discussion, fellas. Appreciate everyone's thoughts.
Lee

·
Administrator
6,299 Posts
My '13 Boss 302 colors - Grabber Blue and School Bus Yellow. My '12 Boss 302 color - Competition Orange. GHIG is unique and prominent :)

·
Administrator
6,299 Posts
PS - Go drive a '19 Bullitt before you decide :)

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
Lee's got me thinking about a Boss. There's a couple of nice ones for sale up here in the Toronto area. Hmmmm?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
PS - Go drive a '19 Bullitt before you decide :)

I have, about 6 months ago, set up exactly as I wanted it. I was quite impressed w/the car's overall performance. The a/c cooled seats & magneride really won me over- well that and the exhaust too!

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
o_ODecisions, decisions, decisions!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts