Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was about 2 AM, and I pulled up next to a rice rocket, an Acura Integra to be exact, and it was a red light. He pulled up, I pulled up, green light, and I took off. I was way ahead of him until I hit 5th gear, and since it was my first race, and I looked out my right mirror, it looked like he was slowing down, so I let to of the gas for about 2 seconds. When I saw him catching up, I floored it, but it was too late, he passed me :(. Anyway, I'm assuming if when I was in 4th, I waited just a LITTLE long to shift to 5th, I would of been way ahead.

Anyway, a little off topic, does redlining your car in neutral do any harm to the engine? I was cruising down the road at about 40 MPH, and I put the car in neutral, and hit the gas pedal so my friend could hear the engine. I wasn't looking at the RPMs, but when I did when I let go of the gas, it was at about 5500. I'm assuming I maybe hit 6000? Assuming I did, how long does it take for the RPM to drop? Because if it's fast, then I might of been even higher than 6000 RPM. If it's slow, then maybe I didn't even redline it. What I mean is, lets say I'm at 6000 RPM. How long would it take for the RPM to go back down to 5000 assuming the car is in neutral and I let go of the gas? Would it be fast or slow? Also, as I asked before, is that bad? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Race is over when you are pulling away and he is getting smaller in your rear view mirror! :grin:

I'll leave it to others to answer your rpm question.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
5th gear!?!?!? When were you shifting?!?!? With the stock 3.27 gears and winding out each gear, 4th should take you well into the 100s.
As for redlining the engine in neutral, I wouldn't recommend it, but I'm sure you didn't hurt anything. I've shifted mine around 6k many times.

·
Registered
570 Posts
4th gear is good up to about 130mph with the stock rear end.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
The rev limiter kicks in around 6125-6150 or so. You'll know it because the engine will sputter.

DiZzyBonne said:
Well, it was about 2 AM, and I pulled up next to a rice rocket, an Acura Integra to be exact, and it was a red light. He pulled up, I pulled up, green light, and I took off. I was way ahead of him until I hit 5th gear, and since it was my first race, and I looked out my right mirror, it looked like he was slowing down, so I let to of the gas for about 2 seconds. When I saw him catching up, I floored it, but it was too late, he passed me :(. Anyway, I'm assuming if when I was in 4th, I waited just a LITTLE long to shift to 5th, I would of been way ahead.

Anyway, a little off topic, does redlining your car in neutral do any harm to the engine? I was cruising down the road at about 40 MPH, and I put the car in neutral, and hit the gas pedal so my friend could hear the engine. I wasn't looking at the RPMs, but when I did when I let go of the gas, it was at about 5500. I'm assuming I maybe hit 6000? Assuming I did, how long does it take for the RPM to drop? Because if it's fast, then I might of been even higher than 6000 RPM. If it's slow, then maybe I didn't even redline it. What I mean is, lets say I'm at 6000 RPM. How long would it take for the RPM to go back down to 5000 assuming the car is in neutral and I let go of the gas? Would it be fast or slow? Also, as I asked before, is that bad? Thanks.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, well now I know for next time not to shift so early :lol:. Man, it was the biggest rush though! Not gonna lie though, it was kinda scary because it was a main street, even though it was so late :p.

·
Registered
277 Posts
4fit? said:
5th gear!?!?!? When were you shifting?!?!? With the stock 3.27 gears and winding out each gear, 4th should take you well into the 100s.
As for redlining the engine in neutral, I wouldn't recommend it, but I'm sure you didn't hurt anything. I've shifted mine around 6k many times.

lol, I was thinking the same thing....when I shift into forth I'm already going over 100.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What exactly do you mean by sputter? I know I only did it once, but since I wasn't sure how high I went, it got me paranoid. I mean, I just bought the car, and for now I'm pretty much babying it :p. Also, the rev limiter would of kicked in even though the car was in neutral, correct? When I went to move my car today, when I was parking, I hit the gas to about 4000 RPMs just to see how slowly it lowers, but when I did, I kinda heard a little bubbling sound while I was revving. Normal? I only revved to 4000 and let go asap.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Don't worry, you didn't hurt anything on the car at all. I wouldn't shift near redline even if I was racing. I shift at around 5400-5500 and pulled mid-to-high 13s at102.7x stock. Tried shifting at or close to redline, and ran 13.9-14.0 at around 101.5

I'll get close to redline in first(going to second) as the RPMs are climbing so quick it doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. Also, I know I might be over-reacting, but, when I drive the car, it seems as if the temperature is idling a LITTLE higher than before, but still below the half mark. I'm not sure if it's just me or it really is, but w/e, I'll post a picture of what it's idling when I'm driving, maybe you can tell me if that's normal. Also, today after driving to work and keeping the car parked for about an hour, I went back to my car to start it up, and it didn't turn on, it just made the rev sound, so I turned the ignition back to off. I tried it again, didn't give. 3rd time's a charm though, it finally started. I just bought the car as I said and I'm already getting scared lol.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Considering you are 18 and have owned the car for less than a week, I'd rethink doing that again. Take the car to an open lot and lose it at slow speeds to learn what it feels like when it breaks loose before you lay it out with your foot to the floor.

Learn the car and get some seat time before you try it again (on a track, preferably).

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Yeah, street racing is not something I condone, neither is taking the chance of hurting someone while street racing. Why would you rev to 4 grand to see how it comes back down?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
lunchbox said:
Considering you are 18 and have owned the car for less than a week, I'd rethink doing that again. Take the car to an open lot and lose it at slow speeds to learn what it feels like when it breaks loose before you lay it out with your foot to the floor.

Learn the car and get some seat time before you try it again (on a track, preferably).
Will do.

rblack4405 said:
Yeah, street racing is not something I condone, neither is taking the chance of hurting someone while street racing. Why would you rev to 4 grand to see how it comes back down?
Because I'm an idiot :(. Well, I wanted to see how slow it goes back down so I can determine how high I hit it yesterday, it's been bugging me. Apparently I didn't hit more than 6000. But yeah, I should learn the car first and stop doing stupid **** before I really break something. I wanna inspect my car just in case to see if anything's wrong with it. Where do I start? I know to check the oil, the brake fluid, and the power steering fluid, but that's about it. Also, I have some pictures of the idle temperature right before turning off the car.

I know it's pretty normal, but for some reason, it feels as if it's a little higher than it was yesterday and the day before. It looks like it's at the 9th dot.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I gotta chime in here and say that you really should think twice about street racing. You stand to gain absolutely nothing and you could lose everything. You've got a great car capable of great things, but you really should confine the extra-curricular things to a closed track. You had nothing to gain by beating the Integra-You should have won that race, if you hadn't he would have bragged to all his import buddies about how he smoked a Bullitt (He might anyway given the ambiguity at the end of the race.) If you had been spotted by L.E. you would have most likely lost your ride-I'm pretty sure Cali is among the toughest states on street racing. Take it to the track, get a time slip that you can take home and show people. There is no B.S. with a time slip, just black & white. Heck, I've got what should be a mid 12 second car but I cant drive it any quicker than 13.5 (yet). But I would much rather bear the shame of not driving my car to it's potential at the track than losing it while smoking a tuner on the street. Anyway-it's your car & your life, but I just figured I'd drop my $.02 worth....Enjoy the car....John R :cool:

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
[start soap box rant]
I agree with John on this one. I've never raced on the street. Not in my nitrous coupe, not in the Bullitt, not in my old big block MC, not in anything.
[/end soap box rant]

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
DiZzyBonne said:
Will do.

Because I'm an idiot :(. Well, I wanted to see how slow it goes back down so I can determine how high I hit it yesterday, it's been bugging me. Apparently I didn't hit more than 6000. But yeah, I should learn the car first and stop doing stupid **** before I really break something. I wanna inspect my car just in case to see if anything's wrong with it. Where do I start? I know to check the oil, the brake fluid, and the power steering fluid, but that's about it. Also, I have some pictures of the idle temperature right before turning off the car.

I know it's pretty normal, but for some reason, it feels as if it's a little higher than it was yesterday and the day before.

I think your temp gauge is right where it should be. I'll double check mine this weekend while it's running but from what I remember that's where mine runs also....John R

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MaineBullitt said:
I think your temp gauge is right where it should be. I'll double check mine this weekend while it's running but from what I remember that's where mine runs also....John R
Thanks for all the help everybody, and I appreciate you checking for me MaineBullitt. As far as the car inspection goes, what do I check? A checklist would be nice :lol:.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That's normal. As for it not wanting to start, I believe that's also fairly normal sometimes. Used to happen a lot when I had my old JLT intake on. I rotated the MAF, and it went away.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts