Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, not a Bullitt, but thought you might want to compare against your Bullitt's. My '00 Feature GT is still stock (except K&N air filter). It's a 5 speed coupe. I'm still driving on my well-worn original tires with 33psi.

I ran a 13.85 @ 98.2 mph.

60' time was 1.952.

I have 18K miles on it now, so a seasoned motor seems to make more power than a new one. Last year when new I ran a best of 14.15 @ 98.3 mph. Perhaps after a year in your Bullitt's you'll all be in the 13's with some in the mid-13's.

·
Registered
393 Posts
damn! great 60ft on the stockers. Busting into the 13's on only 98 trap is a good job of driving.

and yes, I agree about the "seasoned" motor comment. #1584 certainly feels stronger at 4000 miles than it did at 400 miles. All I need now is some cooler temps.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JB VOBRA,

1.952 60' times are very hard on the stock clutch when you use the stock tires. I was agressively trying to run my best ET ever and abused the clutch to get it. I normally run 2.0's and 2.1's for 60' times.

By the way, I've noticed a trend with my seasoned motors. I break them in really hard, just like I intend to drive the car long-term, while many people insist on babying their cars during break-in. My motors end up making better than average power stock because they are looser, but they tend to consume more oil because of it - about 1/2 quart between oil changes.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
N8tr,

When the stock ZR45's were new traction was a big problem at the track, but older tires seem to heat up better. I believe that's why many racing teams "shave" their tires for better traction.

As for a technique to launch, I rode dirt bikes forever and learned how to fan & release a clutch for maximum forward acceleration. In my manual-trannied cars I stage against the lights at about 3000-3500 rpm's and let out just enough clutch to launch without spinning the tires. It takes finesse to walk the traction line and I know I'm burning up a lot of clutch while preventing wheel spin.

I've seen plenty of stick shift cars spin heavily off the line because the drivers just dump the clutch quickly. What a waste. You gotta ease it out.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Ok.. Now I gotta get back to the track. I was told by all the racing old timers at the track that with these cars you should rev it up and dump the clutch. So now I gotta get back and try to riding it a bit. Live and learn.. ah well.
Thanx for the tip!

2001 DHG Bullitt #171

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blakwing on 2001-09-03 19:00 ]</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts